Re: Why is todays house music so boring?

marsman wrote:

if you don't like something, do it yourself wink

+100

black shape wrote:

sounds like old men moaning hahaha, seriuously tho, if u only just realised everything sucks and u have to look really, really hard for the gems...... then wtf???? u guys make me laugh so much. theres as much good house as always, and yea if u cant find anything good on creme jaK or clone, then maybe try looking somewhere else u boring, dull, tired, old, washed out, snobs. it's 2011 !!
also, disagree with Rude66, i think there are infinite things to do with house, whereas prog rock is way more limited in scope.
so if u find it boring, its probably because your choosing the same old records from the same old people from the same old labels. complaing about what creme jak put out as representative of the state of house music today is so retarded.
i also think a lot of stuff now is really hard to define, and a lot of people is scared to look in funcky club house bits or grime bits but theres some super hard banging shit all over the place right now. 

"even barnardi makes detroit now" hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

just out of curiosity it would be interesting to see if the complaints come from dancers? headphone listeners? or djs? or collectors?...

seems a bit odd to single out Marco bernardi..i got some quality tracks by him.... 

ploughs and clouds is plenty detroitish  from 2007

http://www.dance-tunes.com/home/tune/25 … and-clouds

black shape wrote:
black shape wrote:

sounds like old men moaning hahaha, seriuously tho, if u only just realised everything sucks and u have to look really, really hard for the gems...... then wtf???? u guys make me laugh so much. theres as much good house as always, and yea if u cant find anything good on creme jaK or clone, then maybe try looking somewhere else u boring, dull, tired, old, washed out, snobs. it's 2011 !!
also, disagree with Rude66, i think there are infinite things to do with house, whereas prog rock is way more limited in scope.
so if u find it boring, its probably because your choosing the same old records from the same old people from the same old labels. complaing about what creme jak put out as representative of the state of house music today is so retarded.
i also think a lot of stuff now is really hard to define, and a lot of people is scared to look in funcky club house bits or grime bits but theres some super hard banging shit all over the place right now. 

just out of curiosity it would be interesting to see if the complaints come from dancers? headphone listeners? or djs? or collectors?...

what are you on? Talking about over reacting, djeez, it's only an opinion and you are taking it totally out of context (but that doesn't surprise me).

"A Real Music Hater"

30 (edited by ytz 2011-07-06 21:16:24)

black shape wrote:

i agree with all of this  (except maybe the bit about prog... have to chew on that)
it belongs in kuczera's topic about forum boredom, really
sigh

cuties don't exert

placid wrote:

seems a bit odd to single out Marco bernardi..i got some quality tracks by him.... 

ploughs and clouds is plenty detroitish  from 2007

http://www.dance-tunes.com/home/tune/25 … and-clouds

i was quoting, i was laughing at what they said, not marco bernardi himself
i should have used forum quote but didnt want to have to reread all that  to find it

old men? damn right! so its not that strange if you've been going to house parties since '87/88 and almost 25 years later you still hear the same sound, it gets tiring. it happens to everyone. and it goes in waves. there was a time i couldn't hear indie bands anymore. these days, whatever comes out of the US in that genre is infinitely more exciting to me than 99% of detroit and chicago ripoffs..

rude66 wrote:

these days, whatever comes out of the US in that genre is infinitely more exciting to me than 99% of detroit and chicago ripoffs..

yeah I have to agree there. it's also cool that IFM3 seems to be playing more and more of that stuff.

34 (edited by Scarface 2011-07-07 08:52:15)

Bought some of that of that Creme Jacks-records etc. and they're not even that bad (that's why I bought them). But I don't find myself playing them much, if ever... I'm more of the collector, homelistening type so maybe these records aren't for me (?). But why do these older chicago house tracks do it so well then, even for me as a homelistener. Nostalgia? Quality? Must I hear it in a club or be a DJ or be 20 years old to really appreciate this? I'll get my fix elsewhere then with this house-revival and I luckily do do from time to time.

black shape wrote:

theres some super hard banging shit all over the place right now.

You mean hard dance? smile

"Are you loving?"

35 (edited by dolcevita 2011-07-07 10:10:49)

black shape wrote:

it's 2011 !!

yes indeed, and thats why i dont need to hear 1000 records that are trying to sound like 1996 Moodymann, so fuck of asshole ;-)

i hate soccer

black shape wrote:

i am a dancer.

and collector.

and dj.

and listener.

i hate soccer

37 (edited by Scarface 2011-07-07 10:24:14)

dolcevita wrote:

i am a dancer.

Oh, yeah forgot to mention that one besides playing airkeyboard and drums and occasional karaoke-artist (when nobody is watching/listening :-).

"Are you loving?"

yea exactly!!!!! SO IGNORE IT!!!!!! THATS MY POINT!!!!THERES STILL GOOD STUFF THATS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A RIP OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! U DONT ONLY HAVE TOO LISTEN TO CHICAGO/DETROIT, OBVIOUSLY ITS GETS BORING AFTER 25 YEARS!!!!!!

you're wrong about prog though wink

black shape wrote:

yea exactly!!!!! SO IGNORE IT!!!!!! THATS MY POINT!!!!THERES STILL GOOD STUFF THATS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A RIP OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! U DONT ONLY HAVE TOO LISTEN TO CHICAGO/DETROIT, OBVIOUSLY ITS GETS BORING AFTER 25 YEARS!!!!!!

who says that somenone here is listening only to one style?
ant that maybe 80 percent is boring is a fact and its ok to say that.
why not?

i hate soccer

the 00's have been really unimpressive as a musical decade.

42 (edited by bloy 2011-07-09 17:02:11)

dolcevita wrote:

when i am searching for new records i have to hear 30 records to find one that is worth to buy.

(i am speaking about RECORDS, not the 1000000 mp3s available at beatport and stuff.)

the problem is:

there are indeed some proper releases - but all are sounding the same.

trying to make a perfect copy of oldschool house / 90ies deep house / moodymann etc ...

i mean: why should i spend money for a track that i have already 10 times in my collection?

only because it is new or it has a thicker production?

the level is high - but boring.

This is certainly one of the most interesting topics.

I recently had the same discussion with some good friends of mine, label / record shops owners and I feel that somehow the so called "underground" dance scene apparently suffers, since there is definitely some serious lack of quality tracks which should stand out, showing some style and innovation.

In my opinion since the dance market was flooded with thousants of Germanic non sensical, under the medium, ridiculous "minimalistic' tracks for the past 7 - 8 years, almost everyone who was involved eventually got bored. Therefore the "going back to the roots" philosophy leads them to create music which has nothing to offer to the dancefloor.

It is true that since I also buy vinyl, I find it difficult to 'invest" on a record.

Concerning the last 5 years what is impressive for me is the fact that some really good producers who had released in the past some fantastic tracks, are now releasing crap music and although they have been ridiculed in forums for their sets and likes, still they manage to sell! I have realised that the reason this happens is the fact that the younger audience (dj's, dancers or pure music listeners) don't have any sort of musical back ground or knowledge concerning the dance floor genres, therefore nothing concrete to compare with.

Since in a 18 year old's mind, the easiest thing to do nowadays is to create, sell a track or even set up and operate a label etc. the mp3 technology brought disaster in quality. Apparently everything in life given for free in the masses will sooner or later be derogated.

Most young djs CANNOT RELATE IN THEIR MIND THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY in order to buy music. I told someone the other day that I usually pay 12 EUROS FOR A RECORD and his reply was:  'Why dont you download music, its free!"

I find that the poor quality in music tracks comes mainly by the notion that everything CAN BE RELEASED. Once upon a time (vinyl) labels themselves acted as powerfull filters eager to protect their unique sound profile. Nowadays there is nothing close to that attitude since a label's main interest is to "exist" by any means in the "new releases " section displayed on any internet record shop, no matter how good or bad the track is.

Love from Greece.

Wasn't house music always boring to begin with?

Monkey see, monkey do.

Why don't we all sit down, have a cup of tea and chill out a bit? It's only music at the end of the day... smile   

Personally I think it's currently all about Mongolian House (aka Yurt). And Caravan (= Gypsy House). Drill and Bass as well, obviously. wink

I think this discussion is missing a crucial aspect about these issues. It doesn't matter if you pay 12 euros for a record, chances are the artist won't see any of that money. Record presses take their cut, then the distributors/shops and usually the label is the last stop in this pecking order. The label can and usually does end up losing money in this wonderful negative sum game.

Where does this leave the artist? Making records is mostly for promotional purposes for attracting gigs, which can make some income for the clubs by selling booze and energy drinks, and hey, the starving artist gets his cut too. It's not really about the musical qualities anymore, that doesn't get you anywhere. It's a self-serving promo game that runs the machine now. Same old shit, pick your flavor.

That said, I don't think the innovations end up in record shop bins anymore.. more like on soundcloud.com and similar sites.

Monkey see, monkey do.

dont forget the artist gets to tell chicks he has a record release and maybe get to 3rd base

definitley, i thiink obviously have to go through a lot of soundcloud pages too sometimes, but theres an absolute wealth of stuff on it.

bloy wrote:

I find that the poor quality in music tracks comes mainly by the notion that everything CAN BE RELEASED. Once upon a time (vinyl) labels themselves acted as powerfull filters eager to protect their unique sound profile. Nowadays there is nothing close to that attitude since a label's main interest is to "exist" by any means in the "new releases " section displayed on any internet record shop, no matter how good or bad the track is.

ehm, remember the concept of diy & cassette-culture? most vinyl labels bring and brought out stuff from friends anyways

cebteq wrote:

dont forget the artist gets to tell chicks he has a record release and maybe get to 3rd base

I find that releasing a record mostly involves your own 2nd base.

Monkey see, monkey do.

biotek wrote:

That said, I don't think the innovations end up in record shop bins anymore.. more like on soundcloud.com and similar sites.

That's sounds quite horrific....if not boring...

"Are you loving?"