Topic: Effects - tips

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations again!

In my current studio setup I have only one fx processor (a lexicon MX 200) which contains two modules. It is connected to the aux 2&3 of my main mixer. I use it typically for a reverb and a delay. I'm now looking to add some effects as I feel that having only 2 different effects in my mixes is a bit dull.
I'm interested in these categories:
-> delay
-> filter (for the different drumsounds of my drumcomputer)
-> phaser
-> compressor

Are there any devices you can recommend in those categories? I have a preference for old hardware but on the other hand I'd rather spend less than 500 on e.g. a simple delay.

greetings

Just record it already!

Re: Effects - tips

as a delay I can recommend an 80's digital: much cheaper as a good analog delay, a bit cleaner but still nice and more character/dirt as most modern digital delays.. Make sure it has modulation speed/width and short delay-times because that makes it also able to do flanger, doubler and chorus type effects. Those Boss half 19" racks series are worth checking out..

Phaser: if you want something nice and not too expensive I would go for a pedal like the Smallstone (maybe a bit harsh for the taste of some) and the Pearl PH3 is also nice..

I dont have that much experience with compressors so just stuffed my rack with old-skool DBX units and for me it works ok.. but it depends much in how you want to use them and what kind of result you want..

Filters are an different ball-game and like the compressor it depends very much on the type of sound/result/effect you are after.. A good filter can be a bit more expensive and I always prefer to use synths with audio-in or something like a Sherman.. But they all sound and work different and buying a synth just for the filter isn't a cheap option (cheap option: Korg monotron maybe?). Maybe you can also start with an EQ unit with sweeps, sometimes I use a Furman FG-10 and thats a lot of fun although its a bit noisy..

I'm a big effect-unit fan and never understood why a lot of people with analog/vintage gear have so little or no effects: just try a lot and experiment until you found the right unit/color/sound that suits you..

cheers!

TB or not TB

check the Line6 POD X3 Pro...if you dont mind modelled fx.

I really like the way Line6 fx sound retro....and there are a lot inside of those.
Been using Line6 echos & verbs here for years now

http://www.thomann.de/nl/line6_pod_x3_pro.htm

other cool ones:

Dynacord TAM19/21

most Dynacord units are very cool but unfortunately getting more expensive every day

Septicstudio wrote:

other cool ones:

Dynacord TAM19/21

TB or not TB

Ensoniq DP4+

http://www.bayor-audio.pl/UserFiles/ensqdp4.jpg

If you can afford it save up for an Eventide H3000.  I bought mine a few years ago for £600 and I was a bit dubious about spending that much on an effects unit but it's definitely worth spending the extra cash. It sounds beautiful

yeah the DP4+ is great, Ive used it a lot in the past but havent really touched it the past years.. I prefer stompboxes and analog effects a bit more I guess.. But if you want a lot of good effects and functions in one box than the DP4+ is a great recommendation..

Stalker wrote:

Ensoniq DP4+

http://www.bayor-audio.pl/UserFiles/ensqdp4.jpg

TB or not TB

I'd look out for this: http://www.vermona.com/index.php/en_filterlancet.html

i got the mono lancet, it has a great filter!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

are guitar pedals considered as appropriate fx units? if they are you can buy some really great and classic ones for cheap.. small stone etc

lärm macht spass!

Hi all, thx for the replies. I was also thinking of adding some simple FX pedals to my setup as they are cheap and that way I can have many different fx with different settings per synth.

Only... are those really of good quality and properly usable as "insert" FX?

Just record it already!

most pedals are fine for AUX but some can have problems, like a few fuzz bozes I have. Personally I only use inserts for compressors so can't tell if it works but I guess most will do fine. You can also connect the effect on the line-signal (between instrument and line-in) and save on expensive insert-cables.

Quality depends a lot with every pedal because there are so many sorts and brands (and DIY boxes ofcourse), most sound good or even better than multi-effects. Theres enough cheap 2nd hand stuff around you can start with, you can always go expensive if you like it

Clandestine Monarchy wrote:

Only... are those really of good quality and properly usable as "insert" FX?

TB or not TB