Topic: Movement: Journey of the Beat PhD by Stephen Mallinder

"Movement: Journey of the Beat addresses the trajectory and transition of popular culture through the modality of rhythm. It configures fresh narratives and new histories necessary to understand why auditory cultures have become increasingly significant in the digital age. Atomised and mobile technologies, which utilise sonic media through streaming, on-line radio and podcasts, have become ubiquitous in a post-work environment. These sonic media provide not merely the mechanisms of connection but also the contexts for understanding changing formations of both identity and community."

Movement: Journey of the Beat PhD by Stephen Mallinder of Cabaret Voltaire. Makes for some interesting reading.

http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/4866/

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Re: Movement: Journey of the Beat PhD by Stephen Mallinder

interesting, thanks!

I tried reading this and I thought it was a bunch of bs.  is it saying that beats are important?

4 (edited by San 2011-09-13 16:58:27)

Ugh I just posted a huge response and my cookies locked me out. I haven't read it all myself yet. Basically it's the history of rhythm, and he's following changes in society / popular culture through this history and the effect social media has had on these changes. I think lol

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

ahh ok thanks smile