Re: OUT SOON - Elec Pt.1 - We Play Acid - Mini LP - Abstract Acid

continue over here : http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=9091

i think deixis isn't to happy with this all

Vlam Aan

Gee, never seen myself as someone who's always complaining.... And it's a music-forum so you can expect people to talk about the same thing (records, prices, how many copies) over and over again yes although that's not the only thing we talk about...but if you see it that way....

Must admit I don't check mixes anymore that much and that can't be because they're all so great... I might be wrong in some cases.

"Are you loving?"

O.k. I'll continue in the "Als je nog wat te zeggen hebt"-thread: als ik nog wat te zeggen heb tenminste. smile

"Are you loving?"

29 (edited by kuczera 2011-09-15 10:10:26)

edit

Vlam Aan

FYI, Test Press has been approved, will be out in 3 or 4 weeks.

FYI, I chose to do this release as such a small amount because my distributer is based in Europe and, like most of Europe, shut down for the summer period, so as to not delay my release schedule I wanted to sell this one direct myself. Believe it or not, - selling 50 pieces of vinyl in this climate without distribution is very hard so I wanted to keep it as easy to manage as possible. I don't want to be out of pocket and vinyl pressings are always risky due to the costs involved.

Please remember this is a hobby, not a mass money making scheme.... And £11.99 for 6 tracks by Elec pt.1, i'd say that was very good value.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

....and if and when there are further direct only limited editions, bottom line is if I sell direct , - it will only ever be a small run because its easier to manage. There wont be many because 99% of the time I will be using a distributer who is better suited to selling larger numbers.

I want my catalogue to reach as many as people as possible but it has to be weighed out with the financial risks.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Thanks for the explanation.

"Are you loving?"

as much of a fan of elec pt1 i am, i draw the line at this shit. it's one thing selling a small amount of copies because you can't sell any more (like bunkers in the past), its another thing to press a deliberately small amount so it becomes a collectors item.
i know you can't sell 1000 copies anymore but come on, 50? and it has nothing to do with prices either, as with these small amount the cost of the laquer is the main amount.

i have nothing against selling things in small amounts, limited edition weird packages, etc. but this is not good for the artist (how much do you get for your efforts? 5 copies?) and all it does is drive people away from buying vinyl. good job..

34 (edited by Scarface 2011-09-17 17:56:59)

From what I understand this is "circumstancial": distributer who would sell large quantities is on holiday so decision is made to sell 50 copies from homebase. 
What happens when the distributer is back from holiday I wonder: sell in larger quantity anyhow?

"Are you loving?"

rude66 / scarface - so how many copies should I sell to make sure everyone doesn't go digital???
So if I press maybe 500 copies, would that be enough to persuade the rest of the world to sell their ipods? If only i'd known that my little label was so responsible for the digital music revolution. Of course its nothing to do with Free Music Downloads or even Technics ceasing production of their turntables. Its all the fault of the limited vinyl only indie labels. Dam it! lol

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

For the record its not just the financial reasons that I press in small quantities, if I sell direct from my website I have to enter every EU customer sale into a VAT spreadsheet for my VAT returns. Have you ever tried filling accounts for 200 records to 200 different EU customers, no? Neither have I and I don't intend to, 50 was complex enough for me. The less accounts I have to file, the better.

Its easy to criticise or point the finger and make wild accusations that i'm deliberately doing this to make it a collectors item, but really, you don't know all the facts.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

37 (edited by Scarface 2011-09-17 19:48:01)

Just hoping you're not an example for other vinylreleases (the superlimited thing I mean). wink

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

Just hoping you're not an example for other vinylreleases (the superlimited thing I mean). wink

What labels/releases are you referring too?

Can I ask, do you or have you ever run a vinyl label?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

I'm not running a label, but am just a collector who is (or should I say was) sometimes even willing to "run for a copy" but gets a little tired from running to another limited copy. Do I really have to give you examples? I think you know what I mean already.

"Are you loving?"

It's refreshing to read the labelowner's side of the story though.

"Are you loving?"

By the way (not meaning to by harsh with this)...with these numbers wouldn't it be justified to print something like: "for DJ's only" on the label? Then they can feel special when playing this for a crowd. smile

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

I'm not running a label, but am just a collector who is (or should I say was) sometimes even willing to "run for a copy" but gets a little tired from running to another limited copy. Do I really have to give you examples? I think you know what I mean already.

...fair enough, I can see that its frustrating as a collector to miss out on stuff but I could have pressed 200 copies, as usual, - and you still might have missed a copy. You would have still been pissed off and I would have had to deal with tedious accounts for 200 units, and we are still having the same conversation but about 200 copies. Do you take my point?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

43 (edited by Scarface 2011-09-17 23:13:31)

We would have  about the same discussion yes. 200 copies has been done quite a few times in the recent past.

"Are you loving?"

I would like to buy the record as well, but i was not informed trough your facebook announcement wich is kinda silly way to be informed on future releases i think.
Now you have the distributors available again why not press 150 more together with the next release,
no harm done i think. Everyone happy again.

The people that bought the previous records are also the people that supported the label,
don´t forget that as well.

@Abstract Forms.

I sent you a mail. I'm really curious where you've found a place that will only do 50 copies. 50 copies is totally within my budget to release a few of my own records.

If it is a friend doing you a favor I would understand why you wouldn't to divulge the information, but if it is a commercial place please email me at antonmaiof(at)gmail.com

ok, i got the feeling i have to write my 2cents as artist as well.
1st: of course i want my music be heard and would be happy of a bigger pressing, no question.
Deixis ask me fo a limited edition of 50copies for the above statet reasons and i agreed. why?
i spend almost all my spare time (and some of you know its not that much when you have a stressful 9-5job to pay the rent) with making music. i dont do it for money, because then i do the wrong music. i want my tracks on vinyl. fortunaly all the labels i released on, bunker, mathematics, creme, psycho thrill, of course abstract acid, and also snuff trax are vinyl fans. the result of the main focus on vinyl is, most of the labels, that are run by freaks like us, have to check for money to pay the very next release. dont forget: i am a very small artist. only a few people cares if i do vinyls or not (thats also the reason why i never been asked for interviews, statements, and remixes (beside from friends)
deixis was if i remember right, beside snuff trax (i know those guys for 10years) only the 2nd labelowner ever who ask me to release. that means on the other hand, the connection to labels like mathematics comes always per demos. what you guys dont know is: if you hear as reply of your demos (beside the typical: its good, but not what we are looking for at the moment blabla) more than 3 times: we want to release it, but we quit vinyl releases, so we can do an mp3 release only)(have you just realise for example that marco's nature stop releasing records)
so i have to get every chance to put my releases out. and i like to work with abstract acid as i like with all other labels i work with, as i need it uncomlicated. again: of course 100 or 150 +x would make me happy, as i hate to say "sorry no way" when people ask me for my records, and i hope my upcoming releases will have a bigger amount of records.
(what not always help, for example, afaik my trajical bitch release http://www.discogs.com/Trajical-Bitch-C … se/2156187 sold only a VERY small amount of records, ive been told the reason: the distributor had no idea under which music style they should file it, so the let it almost be to promote it)

i am always glad for the people that like my music, thank u all if you do. so good news are that my 2 panzerkreuz lps will be rereleased withing the next few month.

Every Friday Night We Dress In Black

elec: of course i can see your point about releasing as much as you can. and yeah, it can be hard to find labels.

abstract forms: the point is that you are not the only one, and what it does (with me, and i know quite a few others) is that i don't even bother looking at these releases anymore, because they are already gone by the time i see them. so its not your fault per se, but it contributes to the problem.

the fact that you don't want to do the paperwork is of no concern to me or anyone buying the records. because that brings the question: then why do it? running a label includes paperwork, all others deal with it too. you may want to look for a distributor that sells a few more copies so you dont have to do this one by one yourself.. besides that, entering basically 200x the same information in a spreadsheet shouldn't be that difficult..;-)

i dont care how many records you press or sell, but it would be nice if things would be for sale for at least a few weeks at stores and sites..

rude66 wrote:

elec: of course i can see your point about releasing as much as you can. and yeah, it can be hard to find labels.

abstract forms: the point is that you are not the only one, and what it does (with me, and i know quite a few others) is that i don't even bother looking at these releases anymore, because they are already gone by the time i see them. so its not your fault per se, but it contributes to the problem.

the fact that you don't want to do the paperwork is of no concern to me or anyone buying the records. because that brings the question: then why do it? running a label includes paperwork, all others deal with it too. you may want to look for a distributor that sells a few more copies so you dont have to do this one by one yourself.. besides that, entering basically 200x the same information in a spreadsheet shouldn't be that difficult..;-)

i dont care how many records you press or sell, but it would be nice if things would be for sale for at least a few weeks at stores and sites..

I'm perfectly happy with my distributer thanks, as I said above, this particular release was sold outside of my distribution service from my home so I wanted to keep it simple. I agree that my paperwork is no concern to the consumer but it was a  factor I had to take into consideration, on this occasion it was a 'small easy to manage release' or 'no release at all', I know which one I would rather. Maybe you'd rather the small labels don't bother anymore?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

49 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-09-18 19:37:12)

rude66 wrote:

+1 and it's damn pitty because I really like Elec's music (this release is no exception, I really like what I hear in the samples), he's one of the few artists in the field of acid who still makes stuff that I really like.
We are no haters, on the contrary but Ruud is not the only one who doesn't bother to look at these releases because of their ridiculous limitations, I'm also one of these people...

"A Real Music Hater"

Abstract Forms wrote:

Maybe you'd rather the small labels don't bother anymore?

on the contarary. i'd like small labels to put some effort into their releases. and a lot of them do.. and manage to sell not only enough copies to get their costs back, but also to get their stock out to various places. there's even quite a few who repress, and whose records can be found for sale quite a while after the initial release.

look at it from the buyers point of view.. not everyone has the time and stamina to look at all these sites forums and facebook pages to find out and act immediately to get all these limited things. so after seeing 3 or 4 releases you'd like to have bought but found out you were too late again, you think 'you know what? fuck it' and move on to something else.. if enough people do that, pretty soon there's no labels left.
as i said, its not only you that does this.. its been an ongoing trend. and not a good one in my opinion..