Re: OUT SOON - Elec Pt.1 - We Play Acid - Mini LP - Abstract Acid

SYNOD wrote:

I would like to buy the record as well, but i was not informed trough your facebook announcement wich is kinda silly way to be informed on future releases i think.
Now you have the distributors available again why not press 150 more together with the next release,
no harm done i think. Everyone happy again.

The people that bought the previous records are also the people that supported the label,
don´t forget that as well.

Maybe, but I also have to take into consideration the people who purchased it as advertised, - although I have had a chat with Elec and I have agreed to press a further 50 or 100 copies at a later date to keep everyone happy. We don't want people to miss out so will organise a repress at later date to give to my distributer. Cant say fairer than that.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

rude66 wrote:

on the contarary. i'd like small labels to put some effort into their releases. and a lot of them do.. and manage to sell not only enough copies to get their costs back, but also to get their stock out to various places. there's even quite a few who repress, and whose records can be found for sale quite a while after the initial release.

Well we agree here, - Thats exactly why i'm going to focus most of my new release info to my Facebook area only, better to have all the new updates in one universal area, that way people wont miss out on the news.

rude66 wrote:

look at it from the buyers point of view.. not everyone has the time and stamina to look at all these sites forums and facebook pages to find out and act immediately to get all these limited things. so after seeing 3 or 4 releases you'd like to have bought but found out you were too late again, you think 'you know what? fuck it' and move on to something else.. if enough people do that, pretty soon there's no labels left.
as i said, its not only you that does this.. its been an ongoing trend. and not a good one in my opinion..

But I disagree here, I spend a huge amount of effort and a lot of money to release music I like on vinyl, it doesn't matter if its 50 units or 500, the time and effort I put in is the same. I've had about 10 releases, and every one apart from this one, has had at least 200 units pressed and even with a distributer thats pretty much all you can sell worldwide these days. Its not a 'growing trend' its the sign of the times, wake up dude, - the vinyl industry is dead so I for one salute all the labels who are willing to lay the cash down and press up an artists works on such a risky format, whether its 50 or 500, better to appreciate and embrace than deny and criticise. Yeah sure some people may miss out but that will always be the case with a vinyl pressing, I could have pressed 500 or even a 1000 and someone in Tasmania may have not heard about it because they we're holiday and missed a forum post and they're pissed because all the record shops sold out. Come on its all relative.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

53 (edited by Scarface 2011-09-18 22:33:56)

Meanwhile: waiting for the day home vinylpressing-devices become affordable.  big_smile

If there excists such a device that is....

"Are you loving?"

What IS actually the standard (if there is one) these days when it comes to vinylrecords and number of pressings?

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

What IS actually the standard (if there is one) these days when it comes to vinylrecords and number of pressings?

Depends on the style of music, artist, etc but ...
With a distributer any more than 200 and you are pushing it.
Without distribution I wouldn't even want to try more than 100. Vinyl is very very hard to sell now and when you add the logistics and time of it all, - its a lot of effort. Every day I think more and more about the digital advantages, maybe one day i'll go digital, but not yet.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

So if you're selling 500, you're doing alright. That's not very much (to me) still.

As they say: you can't stop progress....or should I say the step from vinyl to digital, regress?....

There are still enough vinyllovers to keep the record alive for a while but that's another discussion perhaps (we had it more than once here on the forum).

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

So if you're selling 500, you're doing alright. That's not very much (to me) still.

As they say: you can't stop progress....or should I say the step from vinyl to digital, regress?....

There are still enough vinyllovers to keep the record alive for a while but that's another discussion perhaps (we had it more than once here on the forum).

I'd say you are a very BIG label if you can sell 500. Why do you think the record pressing companies offer deals for 100 and 200 copies, because that's all you can sell nowadays, - unless you're Cocoon or Minus. Maybe someone like Clone can sell 500 units but I guarantee you most small labels or not so established labels cant sell anymore than 2 or 300.

People forget the small details too, like if you don't have distribution all you can do is sell direct to customers and the shops, if you sell direct to the shops they will only offer you 'sale or return' deals (apart from a few), which is an absolute pain, and you rarely get your money back because the guy in the shop who does that is 'never around', I had to do that with my first couple of releases and I lost loads of money, trust me we are forced into selling small quantities.

And not to mention how hard it is to get good distribution, most of the big ones have closed down now.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

we agree on several things, but some things you say are nonsense too.

first off, the vinylmarket is NOT dead. on the contrary, sales in the US alone have gone up something like 40% last year. vinyl is currently the only medium that reports growing sales figures. yes they are small compared to the old days, but that it happens in itself is quite a good sign.

as for numbers, any decent label with a good release and good distribution can still sell 300-500. is that bad? yes and no.. i mean, in the early days of bunker, guess what we sold? 500 copies. 200 is definitely not the maximum.. maybe because you are a small and relatively new label.
the upper numbers? well, i just heard in the pressing plant here they were pressing copies to be included with a magazine (!) in italy.. this was a complete vinyl album (dont remember what music, i think jazz).. numbers? 70.000. look at bigger bands, and represses, and you're looking at tens of thousands.

the problem is not vinyl itself, the problem is that the 'dance music' ,market is now finally going digital, which the 'pop and rock' market already did in the 80's. there, they have a vinyl resurrection now, and im sure it will come in our scene too. problem is we may have to wait 10 years..

59 (edited by Abstract Forms 2011-09-19 13:52:48)

rude66 wrote:

we agree on several things, but some things you say are nonsense too.

first off, the vinylmarket is NOT dead. on the contrary, sales in the US alone have gone up something like 40% last year. vinyl is currently the only medium that reports growing sales figures. yes they are small compared to the old days, but that it happens in itself is quite a good sign.

as for numbers, any decent label with a good release and good distribution can still sell 300-500. is that bad? yes and no.. i mean, in the early days of bunker, guess what we sold? 500 copies. 200 is definitely not the maximum.. maybe because you are a small and relatively new label.
the upper numbers? well, i just heard in the pressing plant here they were pressing copies to be included with a magazine (!) in italy.. this was a complete vinyl album (dont remember what music, i think jazz).. numbers? 70.000. look at bigger bands, and represses, and you're looking at tens of thousands.

the problem is not vinyl itself, the problem is that the 'dance music' ,market is now finally going digital, which the 'pop and rock' market already did in the 80's. there, they have a vinyl resurrection now, and im sure it will come in our scene too. problem is we may have to wait 10 years..

OK not dead yet but certainly dying, why do you think Technics ceased production of their turntables last year? Why don't HMV stock vinyl anymore? Bar a few, - Why have all the high street record shops closed down? Why have lots of the distributors closed down?

The early days of Bunker must be quite a few years old so of course you could sell 500 units, we're talking about now, the present climate. Whether vinyl sales have have gone up in the US or not is completely irrelevant. -  I've always found getting music from Europe (Especially the style I release) in to the US market is near impossible for small labels, doesn't matter how good your distribution is.

..and you hit it here "maybe because you are a small and relatively new label" - EXACTLY! .... At the end of the day I have to weigh out the financial risk with how many units I think I can sell to make my money back comfortably, so why should I or anyone else take a bigger financial risk to press another 300 copies just because one or two people on a forum have complained, i'm not running a free public service dude.   lol

Its the fact that some people are still willing to release vinyl that is important and that's what we should focus on.

Lastly why are you even comparing a small home run electronica label to 'big bands' and a jazz album??? Really, do I understand you correctly? hmm

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Anyway, I could debate this for days but I feel its taking the focus off what I should be doing, which is getting the release out  wink

Like I said earlier, we will press another 50 or 100 at a later date (minus the artwork) for anyone that missed out and wants a copy. Keep an eye on the Facebook page. Cheers

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

I think your being a little unrealistic rude.....i for one am greatful to anyone willing to put in effort & monies to release this kind of music on vinyl, maybe i didn't get a copy this time....can't have it all.

still, i wont sign up for that facebook shite big_smile

Let's get Dumb

the point i was trying to make is that vinyl itself is more alive and kicking than in a long time. its just in the electronic music market that it's different.. the pressing plants now press more rock/pop vinyl than dance music, for the first time in 20 years. thats the reason the sl isn't selling anymore: most dj's these days don't use vinyl.
the fact that record shops and distributors shut down is due to this, but also 100 other reasons, varying from mismanagement and rising property prices to a shift to downloaded music (both legal and illegal). then again, go to berlin, and record shops there are actually increasing.

you don't have to do anything because some people on a forum complain. as far as i'm concerned, you can press one copy of a record. i just made a point about how all these super limited editions are causing people to stop buying records all together, and i know for a fact that me and ray are not the only ones. do whatever you like with that fact..

DumbBot wrote:

still, i wont sign up for that facebook shite big_smile

I aim to get a twitter update news panel on my site at some stage. That’s more universal because you don’t need an account to read a twitter panel (correct me if I'm wrong but that’s what I've noticed on other sites). The downside of Facebook is you have to create an account to read the content which is a pain for people who don't want to jump on the Facebook band wagon, - I was the same myself until recently.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

We have hard times to sell 300 copies, and we're distributed by rush hour.

Dance music vinyls are very hard to sell, I can also see that more and more electronic releases come in double 12", or LPs, with artwork and everything. Perhaps is because of this rock pop selling up more than before, trying to give people the feeling that they buy more than one track, and a finished product. As a buyer, what I can't stand is releases, perhaps even very good, that come in a crappy, all crumbled inner sleeve, and even a withe label; the beauty of the vinyl, beside the vinyl itself, is the fact that it can be a finished product, with a nice package etc etc. Or this is how I see it.

65 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-09-20 19:13:30)

the difference between the old days and now is that new releases back then didn't mention the sentence "limited to blabla copies, no repress" although many of the releases were limited. It's really sad that labels need to mention this nowadays to be able to sell some of their records. Is this really how the potential buyer thinks now? "if it's not limited I don't care". That's sad.

"A Real Music Hater"

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

the difference between the old days and now is that new releases back then didn't mention the sentence "limited to blabla copies, no repress" although many of the releases were limited. It's really sad that labels need to mention this nowadays to be able to sell some of their records. Is this really how the potential buyer thinks now? "if it's not limited I don't care". That's sad.

I think its better to let the customer know if something is limited, otherwise they might miss it and so even more angry emails. "Why didn't you tell us it was limited???" Cant please everyone.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Dear Mr Abstract Forms.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Whatever you do, somebody will complain.

Keep doing what you are doing.

p

placid wrote:

Dear Mr Abstract Forms.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Whatever you do, somebody will complain.

Keep doing what you are doing.

p

Cheers, so true.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

The forum effect in full effect. House / techno has generally had a very short shelf life. Everyone's always missing stuff. If its good, it'll still be good 3 years down the line and you'll get it for peanuts on discogs.

if ever one of my records makes it 2 a 3pages discussion , but about the music not the amount of pressed records i'm going to  lol  and  tongue

Every Friday Night We Dress In Black

deixis the new one (combined ep) sounds great can't wait to hold that one in my hands

Vlam Aan

72 (edited by hyboid 2011-09-21 09:10:14)

I want to add my own half € to this interesting discussion here.
Speaking about my own label (Astro Chicken) which has only been around since last year I can already see that it can be a real struggle to sell even small quantities directly to shops. the big players like Juno and Decks are very willing to risk not selling too much initially and buy decent amounts.
however cool little shops that add a lot to the scene are often very reluctant to take more than 5-10 copies if at all.

Though I do have a small international distributor I sell most of my records directly to the shops and I don't know how long I'll be able to continue if it doesn't turn out at least "break even" in the long run.
All the shit amount of work, love and passion that goes into releasing a vinyl record used to mean something, that is "I do care, otherwise I wouldn't wire 1000+ € to a pressing plant".

So, yes I think that 200 copies is realistic for an underground label. Big Pressing plants like MPO (France) or Pallas (Germany) used to have minimum 500 quantity policy, now it's 200 or even less (for an additional charge).

maybe on-demand vinyl cutting is the answer. much less risky.

hyboid wrote:

maybe on-demand vinyl cutting is the answer. much less risky.

There's already a label called Vinyl On Demand so... smile

"Are you loving?"

rude66 wrote:

I doubt this very much to be honest.
Dance music never had the artistic approach of rock/pop/jazz music where the album format played and still plays a role. Dance music was always focused on the quick and instant kick for the moment. A single or EP is just not the same value as a real album. This, plus the fact that the whole dance scene is 99% focused on club culture and deejays is the problem for a healthy vinyl market. Because in no other genre/scene the artistic value of a product as a whole is so low. People in a club don't care if the music they dance to is played from vinyl or as an mp3 nor does the deejay. All of them also don't care about any sort of attached artwork etc. so there is not really a need for a real product anymore. The lack of lyrics adds to this aswell in my opinion. As this is all instrumental music there is nobody out there that would potentially like to read lyrics and would enjoy a lyrics sheet or printed inner sleeve.
Dance music is not artistic and cultural enough to sustain. That never was the real purpose of it. But we should not wonder why sales in that genre are decreasing whereas in other genres it increases.

75 (edited by INTERFUNK 2011-09-23 23:05:56)

in my opinion it´s totally legitimate for a label to press just 50 copies and sell them directly to people who really want it, instead of spreading a few hundreds to the world in hope that someone will get convinced by finding a release years later in a backstock sale...

we are living in 2011! you can´t expect reaching more and more people by every new acid-record you release. this acid / house underground shit is gettin popular at the moment, but it still rotates in it´s own smal "familiar" universe...and in fact it´s far away from the techno / acid hype we had in the 90s...

buying directly from the label is always a good way to communicate directly with "customers" and freaks who are really into this kind of music...."it keeps the family together"

you should be happy about the existence of such a nice record by elec with full artwork and a true underground concept.... it doesn´t matter if you can get a copy or not - demand will keep the music alive and brings a wider focus on elecs and the labels work...

Orgel!