1 (edited by Scarface 2011-10-01 16:28:08)

Topic: Records you bought but seldomly play (if ever)

Wondered about this last week when looking at my records...and so you must have (when looking at yours) I guess....

Titles? I'll think of some...
Do you keep them anyway  (I do!) cause you know you bought them for some reason (the right reasons?) once?
Or did you sell them without regrets? Or you regreted to sell some afterwards?

"Are you loving?"

2 (edited by --/~~~~ 2011-10-01 13:15:22)

Re: Records you bought but seldomly play (if ever)

Well i do regret trading some records away! i traded away my fockewulf 190 - gitano with picture sleeve instead of the one without, not knowing it was that rare!  Another regret trading away is syvvi foster - if are you master althuogh i'm not superfond of it it is a true gem.

But my biggest regret was trading away Chris Kraft - Discosmic Dancer LP.

Another regret, but that's all in hindsight, was trading away OP.8 - Butterfly and Charlie for Venise - Payboy when it was still superrare.

I dont regret any record i bought, since i always sell it away if i dont find it interesting.
OTOH, i do regret some records i did not buy.

I used to be a completist for the label Fax but the last years I heve been selling the ones I never play. If I don't play it, it must go, wether it's a rare record/cd or not.

"A Real Music Hater"

4 (edited by Scarface 2011-10-02 00:26:01)

One example of records I find myself not playing anymore:

Bought almost every neo-electrodisco record (Viewlexx, Creme etc.) I could find from the late 90's and during the 00's. I played them many times directly after buying and during these years. It was great as long as it lasted but it lasted long enough at a certain point. Will keep these records (I think...) as a souvenir or as time machine for going back to a great peroid in musical history. So no selling cause too attached emotionally.

"Are you loving?"

I have the same thing with that neo-disco stuff.. I don't play it anymore, but i'm reluctant to sell them. Like you said.. they have an emotional value or something. But who knows, maybe in the future that wears off aswell?!

Heil CBS

6 (edited by kuczera 2011-10-03 08:37:14)

it's morning again never mind my comments .. klapf

Vlam Aan

I believe that when I buy vinyl, aside from its dj use, the whole process, concerning some specific records, involves my "collector's" attitude which is more focused on the: " I have it" notion.
A true property asset is always there for you to display.

It is true though that as the years go by, I get more organised to act as a collector / seller, who wishes to narrow down his record collection to those truly essential pieces of vinyl, which mean a lot.

what's neo-disco? is that the music after cocadisco or do you mean also the viewlexx/creme stuff from the early zero's?

it's one thing not playing it that much if at all nowadays, but another not liking it anymore...

9 (edited by Scarface 2011-10-03 16:10:35)

--/~~~~ wrote:

what's neo-disco?

Found that as a (quite fitting i.m.o.) term used at Clone in their store. Under that term was filed all the electroclash-records etc but I think you can also file Viewlexx/Creme etc. stuff there. People from Viewlexx/Creme wouldn't want to be associated with electroclash themselves if you asked them probably wink => http://3voor12.vpro.nl/artikelen/artikel//8188824
I think of it as new (mostly electro)producers mixing the old (synthpop, hi-nrg, disco, italo disco) with the new. That manifest is a war fought long ago that doesn't seem so important nowadays...

--/~~~~ wrote:

is that the music after cocadisco or do you mean also the viewlexx/creme stuff from the early zero's?

Isn't that about the same?

--/~~~~ wrote:

it's one thing not playing it that much if at all nowadays, but another not liking it anymore...

True thing. Maybe I worry too much about not playing the records that I like. smile

"Are you loving?"

7"s.
after i read this i went to the 7"s shelf
pull out Stereolab triple 7" from 2003 which i'm playing now, i believe it the second time it being played

i have tons of stuff i don't play at the moment. but i've also learned that tyhe moment may come again that i like and play it.. i've sold or given away too many records in the past and regretted this later..

yeah you may have not liked it at first but now that its en vogue you might like again.  hang on to your junk guys!

rude66 wrote:

i have tons of stuff i don't play at the moment. but i've also learned that tyhe moment may come again that i like and play it.. i've sold or given away too many records in the past and regretted this later..

Thought that with all the electronica I have living back in Ireland. I know in years to come I will be delighted to have something that sounds totally new to listen to .

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

Well it's not particulary the stuff i didn't like from the beginning (I try and narrow down buying such stuff these days, i.e. being more picky), but more that "taste" sometimes changes. But it's like Rude says, the moment of multiple plays may come again (and it has before with other stuff).

And --/~~~~: With me it's more of the same neo-disco scarface explains except all the parallax stuff.. that stuff will stand for centuries and i do still play that.

Heil CBS

15 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-10-04 09:05:07)

I had the same with the old Viewlexx stuff but it has been years since I played them, except for Hills Of Honolulu and the acid/techno stuff so I've start selling them, some are already gone and I don't have any regrets. I'm nostalgic person too but but keeping records for the sake of it is pointless to me. I've sold almost every Drexciya record too (The Other People Place, Transllusion, Elektroids etc)because I was just tired of that sound, I've heard too many Drexciya clones the last 5 years which makes I can't bare that sound anymore. For me that's how collecting/hunting down collectibles goes: if I want a big fish, I have to be able to get part with a big fish. I've sold Elektroids to be able to buy Fur Ilse Koch which is a record I normally couldn't afford, that's justifies it for me.

Edit: not to mention that I will NEVER sell Portrait Of A Dead Girl of course  smile

"A Real Music Hater"

Funny that this topic should emerge just when finally a new Viewlexx record becomes available.
I still enjoy most of the Viewlexx/Creme/Clone records I bought back in the day and would never sell them.

scott_neon wrote:

Funny that this topic should emerge just when finally a new Viewlexx record becomes available.
I still enjoy most of the Viewlexx/Creme/Clone records I bought back in the day and would never sell them.

i was thinking the same smile

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

I had the same with the old Viewlexx stuff but it has been years since I played them ...... some are already gone

thanks ray wink

18 (edited by Scarface 2011-10-04 19:44:18)

It's also influenced by habits I noticed. For example, due to circumstances I have no internet at my home for 10 days now (so I don't type this message at home ;-) and have been listening (cause more time left) to more records I have neglected when I had internet. Internet makes me kinda lazy for listening to records cause it's more easy to play from youtube or mp3. Internet does make me hunt for records though which I don't play cause of that same internet: contradiction or?

"Are you loving?"

there's no real need to own them anymore. but it's big fun hunting them and a record collection is a distictive luxury and it's great to own kind of a subcultural archive. so even i don't or seldom play many of my records it's very comfortable to own them. there must be a record-collect-gene wink. and i gave away 200-300 records some months ago, mostly now worthless dj-stuff, and i do not regret as it was to jettison.

weird, sometimes when i cycle to work and get distracted thinking about my records (i only have 2000 and keep the door revolving, don't buy more till i sell more) i always think of scarface, rude and queen, three people i have never met and am always fascinated about how they know what they have at home

anyone hear rude's Conrad Schnitzler show? i mean how long did it take to dig out all those tracks?

qob introduced cbs to fall of saigon, was that band just gathering dust on her shelves until the tracks were sent to the mothership?

and then scarface, looking at your posts in 'recently bought' threads, you give nukubus and raoul a run for their money, i am just glad to see your encyclopediac collection calling out for help, somebody listen to me!

still easiest way is to post a mix, there's a challenge for all of us who haven't done so yet, lets hear what your collection has to say, round 1 goes to cosmic overdrive 121

btw anyone got a recording of that?

keep hackney crap

rude66 wrote:

same here

Herr Flick wrote:

I have the same thing with that neo-disco stuff.. I don't play it anymore, but i'm reluctant to sell them. Like you said.. they have an emotional value or something. But who knows, maybe in the future that wears off aswell?!

I strongly believe there will be a revival of the cocadisco or neo-disco sound (whatever you want to call it). In electronic dance music certain genres come and go.. but always come back at some point. It's just like fashion or something.

The new viewlexx is the first step! Remember my words wink

23 (edited by plikestechno 2011-10-06 02:01:46)

I have no time to listen to records with a young family and when I have any time I'd rather play around in and learn how to use my studio. I have already sold all the really rare and expensive stuff and a ton more and hope to get them all on Discogs eventually to see what I can get for them before I just start getting rid of the ones I don't want to keep locally.

But I am sure I will still end up with thousands of records and CDs at the end of the day still anyway. They just won't be the expensive and collectible ones. Just lots of great and amazing "common" records that I like.

It is a little hard though when you are packing up a record you really like or have had for a long time but I ask myself "When am I ever going to listen to it again?" then it goes into the mailer. It is nice to see people all over the world very excited about buying my collection. Good for them.

Sooooo with this thread in mind does someone want to sell me their Stilleben 5 *cough*

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

25 (edited by Scarface 2011-10-15 19:10:55)

Can't help you with that sorry (cause haven't got early stilleben-records)

A week later more without internet which has been a blessing for listening to my records again! Only thing is I can't "talk" about here with you while doing it. big_smile....which is also a blessing for you probably...

"Are you loving?"