Re: Health and Fitness

@Cloud9 (and you other Robots):
I assume you have already read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall?
This very exciting book deals with (among other things) Barefoot/Minimalistic running.

More info here:
http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopi … 28#p161528

I changed my running technique two ears ago and started to land on the ball of my feet instead of my heals.
I started by taking a class in the POSE Method of Running, then practicing myself.

Reading this book really inspired me to run more and longer distances and also made me think about why I run and the importance of enjoying the running.

I highly recommend it to everyone interested in running but also to other people/robots!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

BMX wrote:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5420635/birra.jpg

Witness the fitness

Now that's a slim figure - and I don't just refer to the glass of beer smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Galliano wrote:

@Cloud9 (and you other Robots):
I assume you have already read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall?
This very exciting book deals with (among other things) Barefoot/Minimalistic running.

Galliano, I have not read the book but it's because of that book that my friend got me into barefoot running. He is going to let me borrow as soon as he's finished. I think the main thing behind the barefoot running that works is the change in form (from landing on heel to balls of feet as you said). It really does make a difference (to me) in endurance and feeling, of course it also a lot of fun as well.  Ran 3.5 miles today not much but was quite dehydrated prob from all the beers i was drinking over the weekend. I will do some working out with weights and run every day for the rest of the week and prob go back to drinking on the weekend!  tongue

Barefoot/forefoot running sure makes difference when it comes to form.

In my case, I still haven't adapted my "new" technique well enough to run faster than I did in the summer of 2009 (as a heel striker) when I did my fastest runs in several distances.

It takes time to develop a good technique and it's about so much more than just land on different parts of your foot.
But I'm convinced that, from a biomechanical point of view, landing on your heel with a straight knee will always be less efficiant than landing on your forefoot under your body.

Studying the POSE Method of Running has helped me identify many different parameters to think about.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Born to Run book, it's very good!

I have some virus trying to break out, otherwise I would be out running every second day.
Perhaps I feel better tomorrow...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Fossa wrote:

opinions on this gadget?

http://www.pycfitness.com/admin/uploadpic/2007319438024327.jpg

I have one of those, I call it the wheel of death. It's great for the core and triceps.

I've been really been getting into tennis lately. Last week I played 3 times and I have a 2 hour semi-private lesson tomorrow to strengthen my groundstrokes. The lessons have really helped my game. Cloud9, come up and play sometime!

I also bought a vintage Peugeot 10 speed, it needed some work but I am planning on riding around on Sunday for the first time.

I just wish I had started all this back in spring, but can't wait to get back in shape. Not buying any more clothes until I am officially down a size.

Yeah, I've been getting back into the tennis spirit after watching the us open/wimbledon. That damned djokovic dude is a beast! I'm afraid you'll probably embarrass me out on the tennis courts but we should play nonetheless it'll be fun!

For those of you interested in forefoot running:

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/29284706[/vimeo]

This video is made by some guy calling his system "Evolution Running" but it's based on the same theories as POSE, Chi running, Newton and whatever thay are called, all trying to present the components of good running technique as a whole.

The video is great in explaining what good running technique is all about.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Yesterday i signed up to run the AXA Fjällmarathon (alpine marathon) in Sweden August 2012.

http://www.runnersworld.se/cldocpart/7043.jpg

43km in alpine enviroment with 1800m total difference in altitude.
This will be my biggest challenge so far.

The trail profile (numbers at the left are meters above sea level):
http://www.vertex.cx/Fjallmaraton/image/pages/banprofil2.png

Time to start some serious training...

Swedish website:
http://www.fjallmarathon.se/

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Spent the last month getting back into lifting weights, drinking creatine & protine shakes and using the cross trainer while listening to Hi Nrg and J Pop.... lifting a lot heavier again and feeling great!!

Another interesting book for you Robots who want to get STRONG:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/folkenfinel/MDA/ConvictConditioningBook.jpg

Convict Conditioning

"Convict Conditioning is a fantastic text crammed with solid information, and tons of vital nuggets and powerful insights that when followed will pack your frame with rock-hard, functional muscle. Like a hard thrust with a razor-sharp shank, ex-con Paul Wade's writing style rips through all the nonsense that fill the glossy muscle mags, to get to what's real: You don't need free weights, fancy machines, spray-on tan and carefully torn T-shirts to build powerful muscle. All you really need is your own body, a few simple exercises and a plan. You provide the body, Convict Conditioning gives you the rest in a highly readable, easy-to-understand format that teaches you what to do and how to do it. As a guy who has written extensively on exercise, I highly recommend this book."
—Loren Christensen, author of Solo Training and The Fighter's Body.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6rgHxafVAsU[/youtube]

Also available as e-book

I've just begun reading it but I like the idea of getting strong (not building big muscles) by using your own body as training equipment, not having to go to an expensive gym / using advanced machines.
The writer is an ex con who has spent a couple of decades in jail but the training methods he presents are very old, from the time before modern gyms, bodybuilders and steroids were invented.
Ancient warriors and gladiators trained like this, so did circus artists, strongmen and acrobats.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

I'm focussing a lot on this one lately, it's a pain-in-the-knee but it works:
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00seBtjgDnZubG/Leg-Extension-M5-1005-.jpg

"A Real Music Hater"

What happened to this topic, did it die when the summer ended?

In October I ran 12 times, totalling 9 hours 50 minutes or 112km.
Pretty decent and in fact my best month this year (but my 2011 has been a bit mediocre imho).

Some days ago I signed up to run an ultramarathon (Lidingö Ultra 50 km, Stockholm) by the end of April 2012.
According to some training program I have found I am recommended to intensify my training to, by March 2012, reach 250 km/month  yikes

Once I did 198 km in a month (2 years ago), including my only Marathon so far.
Slow increase of volume is important to avoid getting injured.

Well, at least I'm back on track.
Wish me luck! smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

I like to run. I spent several years completely sedentary, but now I'm back.
What I wanted to know from the fellow runner robots that live in the cold regions of the Globe is their experience in running in a very cold climate. Do you completely move indoors during winter and just run on the treadmill or you face the harsh climate?
And when it's snowing?
I just found this website: http://www.runningincoldweather.com/
It seems interesting. I'll take a closer look.
You see, I'll move to a cold place and I was curious to hear about your experiences in training in cold weather.
Cheers

I rec running primarily on treadmill for the sake of your joints and lungs (imagine the smog you breath outdoors)  also less risk of getting injured on pavement or hit by a car.  you can easily track your progress based on speed and distance and increment your training regimen more precisely.  i used to run cross country and ended up with tendinitis.  the treadmill is cool; the ones at my work have a tv but normally i just listen to podcasts smile

Running once a week for an hour or so. Outside. Tredmill sound boring to me: always the same view, track etc, no weatherinfluence etc.

"Are you loving?"

i find this website very good for home workout, tons on clips and advices on how to exercise at home with cheap equipment and how to avoid injuries. ne registration required, everything totally free.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

miravalles wrote:

I'll move to a cold place and I was curious to hear about your experiences in training in cold weather.
Cheers

Interesting, where are you moving?

I live in Stockholm, Sweden and we have had two very cold/snowy/long winters in a row.

I understand the advantages of moving inside and run on a treadmill but I try to stay outside as much as possible.

The worst problem with the snow is when it's new and the streets aren't plowed yet.
Trying to run in one or more feet deep snow is perhaps good to build your strength but it's hard to keep a good speed and you feet will get wet.
Another problem is when the snow is melting.

Running on plowed streets with packed snow is no problem, IMO.

Ice could also be a problem, mostly when the snow is melting.
There are running shoes with metal spikes to eliminate the risk of slipping.

The cold itself could also be a problem.
Some people are more sensitive and get problem breathing when it's too cold.
Fortunately, I have no such problem.
A couple of years ago I ran a 21km/2 hour long run in -15C but that was perhaps a bit too advanced since one of my hands got numb afterwards.
No problems, I thought, it will be OK again when I get inside, being able to warm my hands.
But the numbness stayed for several weeks which was a bit scary.

Another issue is the darkness.
Where I live (outside of Stockholm) not all of the streets have lights and in winter it gets dark at 3 PM.
When running in winter I try to select routes where I think the streets are plowed and where there are streetlights.
The rest of the year I prefer to run mostly on trails in the forest but in wintertime I am OK with whatever is available.

Good clothes are essential, of course.
Being able to run all around the year with no winter problem would of course be nice but in Sweden there will be winter and I have to accept it or move elsewhere.

The limitations are mostly in one's attitude.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Galliano wrote:

Good clothes are essential, of course.

so true. i have saved a fortune on public transport but have spent half of the savings on proper clothes for wet winter cycling

keep hackney crap

Galliano wrote:
miravalles wrote:

I'll move to a cold place and I was curious to hear about your experiences in training in cold weather.
Cheers

Interesting, where are you moving?

Thanks Galliano, for all the info.

I'm moving to Macedonia. There, during the winter is very cold and during the summer is very very hot. I never lived outside Rio de Janeiro, where the temperature is pretty much the same all year long, but I'm sure it's gonna be great.

And about the clothes, I have to buy everything.

This morning, I went out for a morning run at 6:30.
That was one hour before sunrise so it was pretty dark, I just about saw the road ahead of me.
The temperature was zero degrees Celsius.
I ran around a nearby lake, quite a demanding course with a lot of up and down.
1 hour 50 minutes later I had finished my longest run so far this year: 21,27 km smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

havent been at this thread for some time, but im pleased to see that everybody is running all over the place smile

@Galliano: i have the Convict Conditioning book for quite some time and its great...it builds up your body strength really fast and u can see the results after couple of weeks.

Also got my hands on some great cardio exercise videos. The guys name is Shaun T and the program is called Insanity...and its insane smile

A Musica....A Musica Na Capoeira Eu Axe....A musica Na Capoeira Eu Todo

@Tin Man

I have seen some of those Insanity exercises on the web and they really look insane.
Too insane for me I guess... smile

I prefer sane training and I think Convict conditioning is a bit more relaxed.
I don't say it's easy but it starts easy and then gradually gets more difficult.

Insanity is great training, I am totally convinced about that.

But at the same time it's a bit too much adrenaline in my opinion.
I don't want Shaun T screaming in my ear: "Come on GO! HARDER!"
I'm sure I would get fit very quick if I did the Insanity exercise but at the moment I prefer working hard in my own pace in solitude smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

hit 95 k's today.. i think last time that was on the docket was mid nineties

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

250 (edited by Galliano 2012-01-27 09:08:19)

95 k's as in what?
Bench press?
Or number of kilometers you've run so far in January?

Edit: Or is it your weight?

Either way, I'm impressed! smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.