Re: Should I buy...

Is the Korg VC-10 a decent vocoder?  I'm looking for a vocoder not really for vocals but drums/synths.

A Roland VP9000 for £175?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

JordanPassmore wrote:

Is the Korg VC-10 a decent vocoder?  I'm looking for a vocoder not really for vocals but drums/synths.

The VC-10 is totally decent, not the most intelligible, but one of the warmest.  It's not great as a processor because it lacks the individual band and envelope adjustments.  I would suggest a MAM VF-11 for that purpose if you want to keep it analog.

computerdisco wrote:

A Roland VP9000 for £175?

That's a cool piece of gear but it takes some dedication, as it's a lot slower to use than the current software "equivalent".  They usually go for that price here, I've skipped them because the programming seems slow and boring.

1,979 (edited by computerdisco 2011-11-17 00:08:58)

Heh, I remember when they were 3k + I am still intrigued by them. Fuck current software. I grew up with crap samplers and tape machines! Something to be said for spending a while learning an instrument/system that pushes you in certan directions. Shame it's not £150 I probably would grab it on spec!    Still undecided! Meh!

1,980 (edited by Stalker 2011-12-01 01:38:09)

1,981 (edited by mortis lock 2011-12-03 11:56:24)

A local guy is selling these pretty cheap,I veering towards the CZ5000
which would you guys recommend for instant gratification digital weirdness
thanks

Casio CZ5000
Casio FZ1
Kawai K4R
DX21

For instant gratification weirdness I'd probably go with the K4R but if I were to only buy one I'd go with the CZ5000. Great controller, great engine. One of my very first synths and still have it but not an instant gratification machine.

If they're cheap enough I'd take both the K4R and CZ5000.

cheers,I gonna go for the CZ5000,maybe the fact that it was launched as the Casio Cosmo-Synth that clinched it.

a pair of Tannoy LSU/HF/3LZG/8U  for 350e

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

mortis lock wrote:

cheers,I gonna go for the CZ5000,maybe the fact that it was launched as the Casio Cosmo-Synth that clinched it.

The bigger the better..

While looking for a Juno 106, a Siel Opera 6 caught my eye. It's priced slightly cheaper than what 106's go for these days and seems a bit more exotic. Anyone owns or owned one of these? Comments?

(Apparently the battery's been replaced and moved away from the pcb, one thing less to worry about)

Ok, I've got £300 to buy a new synth.

I would like to replace my poly800 as a gigging polysynth... I'd like to downsize a little, so was thinking something along the lines of a waldorf blofeld, nord micro modular or something similar, any suggestions?

The A-station rack is underrated, I reckon.  Maybe not enough analog nuances for recording,  but good for live stuff,  very wide range of sounds

Alesis Micron, good value for money.

A-station x2!!! The novation stuff seems good bang for  the buck, and won't leave you crying when someone smashes it... You can always get a fancy setup with analog stuff if your jobs pull a bigger paycheck..

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

1,991 (edited by jerklin 2012-01-08 22:25:53)

* nevermind

1,992 (edited by Revok 2012-01-08 23:00:46)

computerdisco wrote:

Alesis Micron, good value for money.

The features look good on paper, but it's a bitch to work with. Very crappy user interface. After two weeks you'll be cursing that fucking encoder knob. On its own it sounds pretty good, but in a mix with other (analogue) gear it just never quite worked out for me.

The keyboard is really good, though. I've used mine mainly as a portable master keyboard.

1,993 (edited by Revok 2012-01-08 23:04:12)

I need some sounds like choirs, marimbas and atmosphere patches that my other synths are just not capable of. Would a Kawai K1m be a good bet? They're pretty cheap, apparently.

Revok wrote:

I need some sounds like choirs, marimbas and atmosphere patches that my other synths are just not capable of. Would a Kawai K1m be a good bet? They're pretty cheap, apparently.

D-50 ???

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

D-50 ???

Perhaps a D-550, then. I can't afford the space for another large keyboard just for the sake of having those sounds.

Th k1m looks appealing because it still offers an accessible control surface despite being a module. 8 bit waveforms, too. Also, it wouldn't look out of place in the cockpit of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter  cool

But having never played it I'm just not sure how useful it is.

Revok wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:

D-50 ???

Perhaps a D-550, then. I can't afford the space for another large keyboard just for the sake of having those sounds.

Th k1m looks appealing because it still offers an accessible control surface despite being a module. 8 bit waveforms, too. Also, it wouldn't look out of place in the cockpit of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter  cool

It's pretty useful, but don't expect too much. I use it mainly for choirs trough lots of effects, but it can be programmed intensively. Perfect for metallic digital EBMish sounds.

Maybe the Kawai K4r...

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

mekonin wrote:
Revok wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:

D-50 ???

It's pretty useful, but don't expect too much. I use it mainly for choirs trough lots of effects, but it can be programmed intensively. Perfect for metallic digital EBMish sounds.

I had a k1m it's pretty cheap, the sounds are very good but it's fairly limited in terms of programming, can do a lot of weird digital harshness if necessary, no filters, no effects just ring modulation and layering of PCM samples. I'd go the D550 or K4R

Well, I'm being offered a K1m for 55€ inc. shipping so I might as well check it out.

A D-550, perhaps, if I can pick it up real cheap with a working backlight. (The first "real" synth I ever played was a D-20, fond memories about those Seinfeld slap basses smile )

k1m is a crazy synth smile lotta programming but would get  one back for the right price

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?