Topic: JX3P and PG200

Ello there, im having  problems with the pg200 and jx3p i just got. Im not getting a thing from the pg200, nothings going to the synth, nothings happening when the switch is on Controller on the back of the synth. The pg200 i got looks great, not a scratch or mark on it, im stumped as to if thats the problem, i just dont know. Could it be the cable, thats the original roland, it also looks good. Maybe its the jx3p itself, whats the likelyhood, or a din jack? Im stumped as to the culprit, has anyone else had problems with a non working controller and solved it.
Oh and the manual button lights up on the pg200 when pressed, so there is power going to that, but should that light stay on?

"positive mutation!"

2 (edited by computerdisco 2011-12-01 18:44:58)

Re: JX3P and PG200

Hmm could be the cable. The jp programs and stores and recalls fine from patches made with the slider? Do you know anyone else with a Jp or a mks 50 so you can test?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

well it seems the sens slider is a bit fucked, very jerky and keeps getting stuck and is stiff in places and when use the slider while editing the settings jump allover the place and the sound seems to cut out a bit too.
Seems thats a big problem, perhaps it just needs a clean? apart from that it seems to be programming becasue using the abcd buttons there is no jumping and its smooth.
I ordered a c64 din cable on ebay so waiting for that, wish i knew someone else with a jp in this town dont know annyone who owns a synth here.
Im starting too think its the synth, i could take the top off and give the inside a clean and stuff, or return it to spain gonna cost me that tho. Gutted as i already bought this then saw another on ebay that was in a flightcase and had hardly been used, bugger!
Another small problem is all the 16 patch buttons are all out of line, wonder if they could be straightened out?

"positive mutation!"

the row of 16 buttons is generally always out of line. Never mind about that.

If your sens slider is stuffed, you can always swap it with another, like the Brilliance slider, which is kinda useless. Check the values, but I think they are the same.

Perhaps also check the function of the write enable switch, maybe it is broken, those slider switches tend to.
Btw: the MKS version of the 3p is the MKS30 (but it is not exactly the same synth, it uses the Juno105 80017 chips)

Okay i see i will be less worried about the 16 buttons then. Thats a really good idea replacing that slider with brilliance, i will try some spray on it first see if that works. Have a look inside and check stuff out.
Will do some checking of the write switch too, yep i heard that the mks30 has the somewhat dodgy chips.
Any recomendations from anyone on contact spray, stuff can get in europe. I need to spray a load of other dodgy sliders and pots on other stuff. thankyu guys.

"positive mutation!"

Don't use any contact spray shit! U will destroy faders and potis. The best you can get is this http://www.caig.com/ Fader Lube or what it's called. Yes, it's quite a bit expensive. But if you love your synths and want to use them in the future there is no other way. You have to get 2 or 3 different of them to disattache the dirt, preserve the fader and make it move smooth. And note: you have to dismount the fader or poti to clean it or the whole shit will leak into your synth and on the circuit board.

Been looking at that stuff yep its expensive, just got some deoxit contact cleaner on ebay for some stuff, phewee for such a small tube but if you have too you have too. Gonna get some fader lube and cleaner now.

"positive mutation!"

I have the same setup and my sens slider is stuffed too in the exactly the same way, never stopped me. I don't whether it's just my JX3P or not but instead of the sens slider you can use the pitch bender!!! Put into edit mode and push the bender you should see the LED move as you edit the parameter. If it doesn't it means my particular 3P is special smile

I'd check the cable with a multimeter if you have, see if all the pins connect. Do the lights come on the programmer?

9 (edited by Orbweaver 2011-12-08 07:08:28)

lixa-6 wrote:

Been looking at that stuff yep its expensive, just got some deoxit contact cleaner on ebay for some stuff, phewee for such a small tube but if you have too you have too. Gonna get some fader lube and cleaner now.

The contact cleaner will accelerate the deterioration of the carbon track in the potentiometer or slider. You're better off using the fader lube and cleaner vs. using the contact cleaner.

Well well turns out getting a new cable got my pg200 working, so happy it was that simple. I will have to check that out and see if the bender works as an alternative to the sens slider on mine, who would of thought of trying that well you leftcorporation.
Fader lube i will buy now too, no dont want fuck stuff up, the expensive option will be wiser.

"positive mutation!"

lixa-6 wrote:

Well well turns out getting a new cable got my pg200 working, so happy it was that simple. I will have to check that out and see if the bender works as an alternative to the sens slider on mine, who would of thought of trying that well you leftcorporation.
Fader lube i will buy now too, no dont want fuck stuff up, the expensive option will be wiser.

Well that was an easy fix, that's a good thing! I don't know if the bender thing is unique to my particular one, definetly want feedback on that. Don't think it's been documented anywhere else smile