Topic: Dynacord SRS 56

Any DYNACORD SRS 56 users here? How do you rate this unit? How much is it worth?

Re: Dynacord SRS 56

I have a few old Dynacord effects units (but not SRS 56) and I love them. Didn't pay too much for them, though. I don't know if SRS 56 is BBD or not, my VRS 23 and EC 280 are both BBD and those are very nice sounding delays, albeit a bit noisy.

The SRS56 is great, I had two and sold one. They are BBD and have a nice warm analog sound. They also have a lot of knobs and functions but keep in mind that it uses different modes which you cant use all at once, so it looks more extensive than it is. It has modes with various delay settings and the X-regen is pretty cool, also the fact that it can be used as a stereo delay. It responds different on various frequencies and doesn't sound clean at all. I like it very much but its not my favorite analog delay, I like the AD202 better for instance. The SRS56 does 300 euros and more easily these days and looks like prices are going up...

TB or not TB

4 (edited by Stalker 2011-12-04 23:17:27)

Freek wrote:

The SRS56 is great, I had two and sold one. They are BBD and have a nice warm analog sound. They also have a lot of knobs and functions but keep in mind that it uses different modes which you cant use all at once, so it looks more extensive than it is. It has modes with various delay settings and the X-regen is pretty cool, also the fact that it can be used as a stereo delay. It responds different on various frequencies and doesn't sound clean at all. I like it very much but its not my favorite analog delay, I like the AD202 better for instance. The SRS56 does 300 euros and more easily these days and looks like prices are going up...

Does it self oscillate? I've read somewhere that srs56 is like two vrs23 and not every vrs23 can self-oscillate only old versions i think. Also i've read signal to noise ratio of srs56 is one of the best when comparing to other bbd delays - is it true? Freek , could you explain why you like ad202 better?

Stalker wrote:

Does it self oscillate? I've read somewhere that srs56 is like two vrs23 and not every vrs23 can self-oscillate only old versions i think.?

The X-regen designed for the stereo delay can oscillate like hell, it's even hard to tame wink There are various delay modes on the SRS56 and most have adjustable regeneration/feedback. And you can always feedback the delay on the mixer, like with any delay.

Stalker wrote:

Also i've read signal to noise ratio of srs56 is one of the best when comparing to other bbd delays - is it true?

Its hard to tell because it's an analog delay and they all have there own character and issues, but the SRS56 is definitely build for higher standards as most of its colleagues from other brands.

Stalker wrote:

Freek , could you explain why you like ad202 better?

I don't say its better, but the sound is a bit more 'crisp', the 56 has more 'low' I think.. The Ibanez has a few presets under one switch and always uses the same potentio-meters. The SRS switches from row to row with different delay-modes. That makes it a bit more complex and less 'on-the-fly' (also because it mutes for a small second while switching).
Overall it has good sound quality and a lot of potential, so yes the SRS56 is a very good bbd delay (like most Dynacord modules of that era)...
What's the damage?

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:

I don't say its better, but the sound is a bit more 'crisp', the 56 has more 'low' I think.. The Ibanez has a few presets under one switch and always uses the same potentio-meters. The SRS switches from row to row with different delay-modes. That makes it a bit more complex and less 'on-the-fly' (also because it mutes for a small second while switching).
Overall it has good sound quality and a lot of potential, so yes the SRS56 is a very good bbd delay (like most Dynacord modules of that era)...
What's the damage?

400 euros. I'll wait for a better offer or buy something else. Thanks for info.

400 is a lot of money, but apparently they even sell for more nowadays: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170673061303#ht_500wt_1165

just let me know if you need more info, Im quite an (old) effects addict wink

Stalker wrote:

400 euros. I'll wait for a better offer or buy something else. Thanks for info.

TB or not TB