Re: What new booty have you acquired?

Photocall wrote:

I should feel bad, but this year is about gear going out the door, not gear coming in.  Am I losing my mind or something?

It happens, reorganization and stuff can be pretty cool tho.

Photocall wrote:

I should feel bad, but this year is about gear going out the door, not gear coming in.  Am I losing my mind or something?

No, you can always pick something up again if you miss it. I'm moving a lot of unused stuff out too, but I'm not going to kid myself, I'll probably just replace it all with new gear. There's nothing like figuring out new machines.

Just picked up a jx3p. If I like it I will say goodbye to my 106. If I don't I'll sell it and repair my 106, which is unfortunately getting quieter and duller as the days go by.

lorensteele wrote:

korg microsampler!

love this thing!

aint no emulator III, but so fun/easy/transparent workflow

piece de resistance for me is the super simple software multisample editor

think the pdf manual for this thing is 8 pages

hows about as a controller? I need something with a small size. is aftertouch really that important?

Photocall wrote:

no man! more is less! (or was it the other way around?(or would those two be exactly the same?)) I thinking about cleaning up big time to. I'm a bit tired of all those machines doing nothing i think I'm going the keep my bizzaro stuff and sell the standard stuff. my(in my opinion) best tracks are made with only a few machines...  so i quess I'm going to do a idols like show: have my machines do an audition for me and eliminate the one's that don't  have what it take. I will be the jury, I will start sms poll's at the finals (witch only i will sms to) this way it will be like on tv I CANT WAIT!

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

@Bankie Phones, Jerklin, & ProjectGenocide,

Just a case of WAY too much shit over here.  Too much outboard (eqs, pres, compressors, fx etc).
Narrowed it down to the favorites.  Still too much shit!

I dream of being a minimalist.

first world problem lol

Photocall wrote:

@Bankie Phones, Jerklin, & ProjectGenocide,

Just a case of WAY too much shit over here.  Too much outboard (eqs, pres, compressors, fx etc).
Narrowed it down to the favorites.  Still too much shit!

I dream of being a minimalist.

I know the feeling. I move gear around a lot. I often dream of some kind of technology coming out that makes wiring gear a thing of the past.

schmoltz wrote:

first world problem lol

I must sound like a arse.  Hahahaha.  Well if it helps at all, I've been working in studios since I was 15 and have been collecting for a long time.

Cheers out there in space, robots.

[sorry I must sound like a troll, but this fits here perfectly, admit it smile anyways, that's way off topic]

Pair of Adam A5X ... big purchase for me.

Marco Tulio Thrash wrote:

Pair of Adam A5X ... big purchase for me.

Your ears will thank you....

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

4,213 (edited by plikestechno 2012-01-29 08:01:33)

Helloooo...

It's got issues but I got it for a good deal knowing that it had issues. I'm thinking power supply and maybe some contact issues. It powers up every time but acts really weird every time and different every time.

Inside, it looks like it's never been serviced. Oberheim put red paint on all of the screw holes for the boards maybe as warranty protection and none have their seals broken. Hell, it looks like it's never been played.

It will have to wait to go to the tech until I have some money after I finish paying off some Serge but jesus it's beautiful. It's like staring at the sun. One day it would be nice to find an expansion card and some voices as it's only 4 voices right now. Such a tease to not be able to make space disco pads with it right now.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu352/plikestechno/xmas2011014.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu352/plikestechno/xmas2011015.jpg

Nice!  Did you pick that OB-X up locally?

Welcome to the Oberheim Lounge..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

That's a beautiful machine, hope you get it back to life!

I have an RE-201 coming this week.

Outgoing -> Korg Mini-KP, Korg ER-1, MFB 522

unicity wrote:

Nice!  Did you pick that OB-X up locally?

Nope, it was one of those serenidipity Ebay purchases where I was the first person to see it and bought it instantly. From Rochester, NY it was listed as local pickup only but I convinced him to have UPS come pick it up for me. Came with an absolute dynamite, tight road case which is probably why it's still in such good physical shape.

As far as how much of a deal it was, we'll see how much of a deal it was once it's all fixed up. Doesn't seem to have ever been serviced and will probably need a thorough once over. One day down the road when I have more money it would be nice to find an expansion board and more cards. But I'd definitely take 4 working voices for now.

jerklin wrote:

How much did you get for the 522?

What did you like or not like about it?

plikestechno wrote:
jerklin wrote:

How much did you get for the 522?

What did you like or not like about it?

I sold it for 300$. I didn't use it a lot, the interface was tough for me and I preferred to interact with other drum machines. If the sequencer is not easy to use, what is the point? I know it's subjective but now I would choose a Miami or 808. At the MFB's price range I would go with samples on an ESX or something similar.

lorensteele wrote:

there's a knob on there that will select one of 16 patterns you record with the samples in that one of eight banks, you can mute/unmute any sample voice entered in to the sequence, and there's a knob to select which sample voice you want to sequence polyphonically with that pattern,

when you build the bank with the editor you can set the coarse and fine tuning, so you can also sequence melody by laying different pitched versions across the keys

so yeah it can do the sketch track thing really well, there are some workarounds to get it to produce any fat bass, and there's only one effect to go around but they are the cool korg kaoss pad derived ones

i haven't spent much time with the onboard sampling modes, but thing there's a peak sensing auto chop mode that will auto map across the keys, there's also a mode that for any duration you hold down a given key it will capture that audio as a loop that you can play back on that key (somewhat analagous to a mellotron if you could vary the length of the tape loops)

I have one of these and really enjoy it. Imo the design kinda makes it look cheap, but the ease of use is great with this one. It's so straight forward. I used it for a live radio show sampling and looping stuff on the fly, layering, adding FX, and voila. Haven't used the resample function yet though. The mic works like a charm. I have some home-made noise devices that I can't plug in and only have a little speaker (ie the Cracklebox), just put it in front of the mic and go nuts.

Just got a boner from that Obie picture. Technically thats hardware...

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Maybe I will get a new sticker made for the back that says "Bonerheim"

plikestechno wrote:

Lulz were had... !!!

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

plikestechno wrote:

hihi i lolled

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Revox G-36 valve tape recorder. it even makes distorted 128kb mp3's sound good!  roll
this is what it looks like, not mine..

http://nl.wikizic.org/1-046-046752-Revox-G36.jpg