Topic: Arturia to make an analog synth... ?

Link up on Matrixsynth's blog.

http://www.amazona.de/media/articles/article_images/article_3824/2_Arturia%20MiniBrute%202.jpg

Seems to be really nice.  There was a YouTube video up earlier today that has since been made private but it had sound demos and a guided tour over it's features.  Some impressive features include an arpeggiator (w/ tap tempo and swing!), sawtooth animator, synthacon filter, and lots more.  This is also a huge WTF, as it is from Arturia.  I cannot wait, to be honest.

Re: Arturia to make an analog synth... ?

Very nice. Price will be under 500 Euro. CV in & outs!!! Looks like a 2012 101 without sequencer but cool oscillator modulation.

3 (edited by plikestechno 2012-01-19 06:45:22)

$500 USD is the preorder at Novamusik right now...crazy.

It looks fantastic. And I like the tweaks they've offered compared to the recent norm. Why not use the Synthacon filter? It's cool that like on the Octave Cat SRM you can mix all the waveforms together. Love the potential of the arpeggiator which has a fewmore added features than your typical one. Tap tempo and swing? Fuck yeah. I just hope it transmits over MIDI and CV/Gate and isn't just for the internal synth.

You could have quite the powerhouse with one of these, a Minitaur, a new SEM and a Dark Energy. All brand new synths. It's quite crazy.

The market is so interesting now, I'm just wondering what's encouraging the shift by these larger companies?

Has the profit in the soft synth market been crushed by people selling iPad apps for next to nothing? Are there just too many people making soft synths now? Have some people at these larger companies been seeing what basic 1-osc vintage monosynths go for and figure we can make new products and still clean up if people are willing to still pay $500-$600 for one?

Or has the world using CV/Gate control gotten large enough that these companies are finally listening? Knobby monosynths being all the rage in 2011, maybe after 30 years analog has won?  Or maybe the ADD/OCD generation of today has no interest in menu diving anymore and just wants knobs, knobs, knobs and instant gratification.

There's never been a better time to be into analog synths. New ones are coming out and the old ones are still available. Barring a handful of the most overpriced vintages, they're all quite accessible.

I figured I was done with buying any new analog monos but might be able to make room for this one. After I see the reviews and initial reaction...

It will be interesting to see what Arturia does if this is popular. Lord knows they have boatloads of money from their softsynth success.

4 (edited by sneakthief 2012-01-19 11:47:27)

This synth is no joke. plikestechno is dead on. It can also be used as a midi controller.

Developed with love by a respected DIY-synth master, Yves Usson, with blessings from Nyle Steiner:

http://yusynth.net

More info:
http://yves-usson.fr/MINIBRUTE/minibrute-flyer.pdf
http://yves-usson.fr/MINIBRUTE/MiniBrute-catalogue.pdf

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

plikestechno wrote:

It's cool that like on the Octave Cat SRM you can mix all the waveforms together. Love the potential of the arpeggiator which has a fewmore added features than your typical one. Tap tempo and swing? Fuck yeah. I just hope it transmits over MIDI and CV/Gate and isn't just for the internal synth.

Yes it can! Like I said: a 2012  101 (without sequencer) but with cool new features.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O946lG7Ik[/youtube]

Maybe they'll make something like the CSQ to hook up to it for sequencing.  That's probably asking a lot of a big, modern company, though.

Going to be a Win!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Feels like this is a buy unless its way shitty build

(.. dont forget about the mono lancet btw, its awesume)

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

It's looks like a great product, but what strikes me is that they go to great lengths to beef up the sound with fancy (and cool) features but leave out the obvious, another oscillator. I mean, how much would it cost to have one more osc in the box, 60-80usd??? 2 oscillators in a box like this would make it the king of modern analogs, and start eating away at the moog crowd. The minitaur is almost 200usd more, and doesn't have half the features of this brute, but it has that extra osc, and for me that is a turning point.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Re. no extra oscillator ...you've missed the point completely - that's what the saw-animator is for:

http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/SAWANIM/index.html

Besides, an extra oscillator is not so cheap as you think. In addition to the larger control-surface required, there are components that need careful Q&A and calibration.

If it's such an issue, send another external oscillator into the input and control it with the CV/gate.

No you missed my point. Like i said, fancy and cool features, which with one more osc would make 1+1 go 3. And the price thing is bull. This synth is complete SMD, and adding another would cost next to nothing compared to advances it would give it. The user interface on this thing looks to be brilliant and spending the money on putting one more osc in it would give it quite an edge both sound and sales wise in this price range. The direct competitors in this market nearly all boost a two osc setup i.e the Mopho, slim phatty and the new minitaur but have the price around the ankels (well considering their sound and build quality I guess the prices are ok) and if you want to hit that market just the Korg toys and MFB homebuild look and below the price of the brand names, spotting the same two osc setup would be a sure way to steal the monthly GAS allowance...
Personally I'm considering buying a phatty or minitaur right now, and the brute does rocks the boat on that. But the fact that it only rocks one osc and I don't know the build quality will properly make me to the moog plan. I don't expect the brute to be build like a moog but I don't want to spend too much money on something that feels like the monotron either, and since they even mention build quality and cost in the video, makes me think that it's not that great quality...

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

13 (edited by Erroraudio 2012-01-21 16:55:13)

BTW.... I'm not kidding myself this thing will sell like hotcakes, to the segment of kids, who 5 years ago would have bought a microkorg to get that Trentemøller bas sound.

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

OK, you've made your point that a saw-animator isn't good enough for *you* compared to a 2nd oscillator.

However, I would argue that for the majority of buyers, the saw-animator is exactly the effect that they're aiming for. Once again, here's a demonstration of it.

How do you prefer to use your second oscillator in a patch? At an interval?

You're still mistaken that it's cheap and easy to make a well-calibrated VCO. I'm sitting next to seven VCO's that I've built and I assure you that there's no simple & easy way to automate Q&A & calibration.

Look at the Monotribe - they have a VCO but need to use a complicated digital calibration circuit to keep it in tune. Occasionally the internal tuning of the Monotribe goes out of tune and the digital circuit has to retune it.

BTW, it just as likely that the "Microkorg segment" isn't really going to buy this because it doesn't have "Trance, House, DnB & Techno" presets tongue

in the end, it's often the limitations that also add to the character of a synth. A lot of great synths don't have a second OSC, so I can't see why this thing should- if you must have a two-osc mono, there are other candidates.
But can someone confirm for me, if they are in the know, if the arp will output to midi and cv?

A Juno also only has 1 osc

Its pretty cool that you can mix all waves at the same time (same as Juno MKS50 SH101 MC202 etc)

And cheers for not doing another 24 db Moog ladder

Apparently the built quality is up to snuff if I am to believe the several first-hand demos of this via NAMM.  I have preordered one through Nova Musik. 

Re: Second VCO.  Yeah, it would have been nice to have a second VCO but the front panel looks pretty packed as it is.  Having a couple SH101s around has made me learn many ways around such a limitation, such as using harmonizer effects and samplers.  Perhaps if this unit is a success they will release a 2 or 3 VCO MaxiBrute.   This and the Waldrof Pulse II have me very excited for the next couple months.

It's 425$ at muscian'sfriend with their 15% off coupon. I couldn't resist.

also this is a very nice way to get the other companies crackin' .. 425 bux, thats nothing!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

425 usd????? Forget i mentioned the second osc.....

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

.. And when I thought that my GAS would have come to an halt, now I see this... Anyway for what it does, 425 is a steal.
No excuses not to get one, given the functions AND CV/gate in and out and as well AUDIO IN. How many other machines
provide a S/P filter for you to use with external signal? tongue

Now I will look which shop will have one here in Switzerland, if the build quality is good then I'll go home with one of those
under my arm smile like a baguette, you know smile

a.

Had a quick play with one today, it was good fun and I like it. Only a quick ten minute go so no solid conclusions, filter is ace. Cant argue a jot with the amount it does, build quality seems reasonable. I'd consider parting with my sh-101 for one, though im not sure the sub-osc has the same grittiness. I dont know, im not gonna pretend im any sort of expert - there's more than enough smartarse-ery going on around here as it is. Would still choose a slim phatty first probably, horse for courses.

Sham wrote:

Had a quick play with one today, it was good fun and I like it. Only a quick ten minute go so no solid conclusions, filter is ace. Cant argue a jot with the amount it does, build quality seems reasonable. I'd consider parting with my sh-101 for one, though im not sure the sub-osc has the same grittiness. I dont know, im not gonna pretend im any sort of expert - there's more than enough smartarse-ery going on around here as it is. Would still choose a slim phatty first probably, horse for courses.

When did you get a 101 ? I will hoprfully get to test drive one in the next few weeks before purchasing they seem to be appearing in shops now.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

Anywhere here get one of these yet?  I had a preorder with Novamusik that never went through.  They gave me shit for asking too much about availability months after release so I canceled and have put the synth in the back of my mind ever since.

25 (edited by scott_neon 2012-09-06 22:23:21)

I just got a minibrute delivered to me today after winning it in a comp on the internet.  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile Juno has them too, for only £383.75 with free postage (in uk i think) Its a really nice synth.