1 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-20 21:19:24)

Topic: I want the early 90's house sound.

I've had it with linn drums, 808's and fat synths for awhile (not that own any such machines but i still need a long break from that sound). I'm not looking for 80's chicago house either but I wanna go deep with that 909 based crunchy detroit and new york sound from the years about 90-93.

Someone point me in the right direction here. Did all the guys have 909's or did they all use samplers?

what synths and romplers were used for what etc???

I've got the Alhpa Juno 2 which i understand was used a lot.
How about the EMU Proteus line? those "crappy" sounds seem easy to get hold of...

mainly the detroit stuff MK (Mark Kinchen), Reese (Saunderson), Mad Mike etc and then also all the Strictly Rhythm new york sound (this one i gather is more sample compared to the former) from this period is my holy grail. Also that pop dance sound like FELIX, Egma and The KLF would be nice to know about.

danke very mucho

2 (edited by jayoverdose 2008-08-20 21:20:46)

Re: I want the early 90's house sound.

roland W30

http://gamelay.usami.com/~netboy/w30/si … .msoft.it/

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

Samplers played a big role back then, if you didn't have a sampler you were going nowhere...probably they layered the kicks with a real 909 but many producers just used samples.

Also romplers, Korg M1...Felix Don't you want my love apparently was a Roland preset from the U220/JV/JX-1 or something.

jayoverdose wrote:

roland W30

Yeah that Egma has W30 dripping all over it

smackos is pretty much right, but i think by the mid 90's the w30 was already old and replaced by newer akais.. for sounds, also check the libraries of akai and emu, so the proteus series sounds like a good one.

also, i f you want that sound, i'd say get some sample cd's.. a lot of those beats on stuff like strictly and todd terry etc were sampled to death, and are all over sample cd's. you can even still get them now with titles like ''old skool house..'' big_smile

thanks all, this is just what i was hoping for.

I knew about klf and the M1 but no clue about those others. smile
if anyone knows more about Mark Kinchen that would be super super. 

sample cd's.. well i always tried to stay away from that one. guess i can't anymore. lol

7 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-20 21:34:30)

The Alesis HR16 drummachine was also all over the place back then

Also: EMU Proteus back then in the early 90s was more catered for the rock keyboardist market, I am not so sure if those were used in those kind of tracks.

8 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-20 21:37:00)

was hr-16 used in house also? i remember using those samples when i was into dnb back in the day.

9 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-20 21:46:16)

oh yes tons of records used that thing
They also made the HR16 B which was made for "dance" music...sort off

edit: Later they made the SR16 which all of them in one box or something and the D4 and D5 module

HR16 classic http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8FPqnAG … re=related

11 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-20 22:01:11)

that's great smackos. i need to look into that one. smile

edit:

I like this machine, been eyeing the youtube videos now..

it's all you need

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

13 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-20 22:18:41)

i hear ya. poodle just fell in love after that sequencer clip on youtube. just what i'm looking for.

mu-ziq also used the HR-16 alot (distorted of course) and you can hear it in the opening theme to Seinfeld.. it does the mouth pop and puh noises

15 (edited by Gweilo 2008-08-20 22:37:58)

S950 smile

And wat about some rave sounds? I made the lead sound of this mp3 with a dx200

http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/ravesound.mp3

17 (edited by Communicator 2008-08-21 01:05:15)

Emu SP 1200 (Todd Terry had one)
Roland R8 (rompler released in '92)
Samplers fo sho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30DUmx9v3Q

And remember, the gear is gear, but it ain't nothin' w/o some soul put into it.

Also worth checking the old Strictly Rhythm catalog for reference. They were HUGE in the early 90's with consistent bangers for the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf6vzSso5-8

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

I found MK on on myspace after I fell in love with "Burning" and "love Changes". Looks like he now only produces beats for fine ass young women in L.A. He didn't even add me as a friend.

19 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-21 02:53:37)

yeah i know. lets not talk about that... it's just too sad.

if anyone would find out what shit he used during the 90's i'd like to know about it.

Armand van helden seems to have been using the W30 during this period (sultans of swing etc) which sounds great. so i think i'll go for that one...

make a fake hot woman profile and ask him

21 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-21 03:11:51)

haha i wonder how he'd take that. big_smile

also thanks Com. for the New Jersey video. Luv Dancin have been on a lot here lately in the bat cave.

ratsnake wrote:

make a fake hot woman profile and ask him

He also seems real into his biceps. Tell him how much you like them.

my mind says no, but my avatar says yes

24 (edited by Honey Peters 2008-08-21 04:50:24)

http://www.myspace.com/marckinchen
i am kinda getting depressed by this.

forget it im not going undercover. advice here is enough. samples samples samples. juno 2, shit I didnt know you had that I am jealous.

how about mastering techniques and recording procedures? I feel I can make any sound with a computer, but to top it off  I am not very sure what to do. I never had much handson experience with mutlitracking and compressors, only briefly - so i dont have the "sound image" in my mind to make a copy with a computer.

Professionals dumped their tracks on DATs and carbon cassettes? i have an itch for a nice deck.