Topic: Amps for synths

I need to get an amp for my synth - I don't want to spend a huge amount of money and will probably go second hand. Is a bass amp the best way to go do you think? Thanking you for adding your two cents in advance smile

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Re: Amps for synths

best to go from your instrument and fx straight to the desk but if there's no desk then a bass amp is indeed the right choice imo

3 (edited by San 2012-03-20 12:52:06)

Yea I'm thinking for jamming/practise which will likely be someone's loungeroom and nowhere near a PA lol. Do you think a Trace Elliot Boxer 30 is too small?

depends what your jamming partners are using i guess. you could find yourself running out of juice once the dbs start creeping up.
provided it's not a loud session then 30W is fine but 50W+ will offer more scope. it's always nice to ramp it up some when the moment calls for it  cool

I wouldnt go for a bass-amp: best try to find a full-range amp or some kind of PA monitor for keys or voice

TB or not TB

http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336d3dccc259b899b4d70826ffdfb3642bf.jpg
Carlsbro Cobra 90 Keyboard Amp
I was given one of this away when i purchased my Tama Techstar (guy said it was broken, in fact it was just unused for too long and started working again after a couple days with Power ON), it's pretty good for synths & anything else, 3 channels (one is High-Z for mic or Gtr) , FX loop & a very good Spring reverb..

Hey cool Oliver8! They have one of those at the shop I'm looking at for $275 AUD - good price? AUD is slightly higher than USD atm.

Thanks for your input - I want to get a small Mackie desk and that would mean eventually I could get a PA - apparently the new Mackie Thump PA's are good - we just got some at uni but I haven't heard them yet. But yea not enough cash atm - I applied for a $20 000 scholarship at uni to use for a new studio -  amazing if I get it!