Re: Buying an analog desk, need help!

Septicstudio wrote:

for the guys n dolls from holland:

http://link.marktplaats.nl/460245381

get it while its hot.

200eu for a D&R 700 MK3

I almost buy it at that price, unfortuneatly no room here for big consoles/mixers

I did reply, hope no one closer gets it in the meantime, gotta find a friend driver but that shouldn't be a problem...

nice find, i recorded a lot of my early bunkers on an 18 channel d&r 700..

Yup! thanks for the Tip Sceptic, seller is nice enough to keep it on the side for me one week...

great, you're welcome.

It's actually bigger than it looked in the advert, barely fit at the back of the car.. right now in a middle of a sea of cables, but the mixer works 100%, Big sound!!!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263479_10150700216445492_571140491_19737868_233805_n.jpg

welcome to the d&r owners club!

looks pretty cool!

Has anyone got any experience with Mitec Joker?
There's not much info on it on the net.
I've been offered one for 600eur, 24ch.

600 euro seems to much for a mitec desk.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Thank you. So how much do you think it's worth?

I think not much.
There was one for sale in NL but it wad kinda imposible to find a buyer.
I'd say 200-300 max.0

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Thanks. Also I just found out that the muting doesn't work, so I'll pass on it.
The quest continues.

Maybe off topic?

i got Mackie 1604-VLZ pro, i took it for few days to check it in my studio.
the volume seems to be low. i played test tone from logic (0db / 1000Hz), sound interface (MOTU Traveler) on 0db, mixers faders and main mix on 0db Trim is off (all the way left) and the meters shows -7db. doesn't the meters suppose to show 0db in this case?

Not necessarily, depends what the meters are related / calibrated to, or something like that .. Somebody more technical minded could give explanation ..

rude66 wrote:

welcome to the d&r owners club!

Got myself 2 D&R's in one week

DiscoM2 and 900 16-4-2

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

Mule, does the channel where you feed the 0db signal read -7db?

yes

The thing is Mule Driver that normally digital and analog meters are different. So if you send 0dbfs (digital) to your mixer from Logic it's not 0dbvu (analog) on the mixer.

dBVU is what an analog mixer uses for reference, 0dBVU would be where the mixer works at it’s optimum. Noise is the least, while having enough output to drive the sound card.
dBFS is what a digital sound card uses for reference. 0dBFS is where the sound card will reach it’s maximum and if pushed beyond that it will badly distort. There is no “optimum” level in the digital realm per se, as long as you are above 16-bits of usage.

You should check your soundcards manual and also Mackies manual I guess .. I don't know if in this case the Mackie is kaputt, do you get enough signal when plugging in synths etc?

ok i think i got it
the soundcard outputs -10dBfs (-7db i mentioned before was mistake), it needs to be trim to "U" point at the trim pot to receive 0dBVU at the meters

am i right?

45 (edited by Kenzaburo 2011-08-06 17:14:56)

Normally it's kind of 'agreed' that -18dbfs digital would show 0dbvu on analog. That way you have plenty of headroom, and if you want to ride your analog mixer channels a bit harder (even to distortion) you have room too so you don't overload your converters going above 0dbfs. So that's a good way to calibrate the meters, set your tone at the logic -18, then cal your VU's to 0. It's not a rule set in stone though but a good practise

Any opinions on D&R Marilon?
It's a newer series of D&R's mixers, I think early 90s.  Can't find much about it on the webs.
http://www.troovi.com/lbPYh0NTOlVs#lbPYh0NTOlVs

47 (edited by San 2012-03-20 13:28:38)

mekonin wrote:

Soundcraft 1624, 24ch 16 groups, good cosmetic condition, factory P&G faders, built in patchbay, seller had replaced sometime in the past all the capacitors and op-amps to a better spec'd ones. Haven't been turned on for about three years, EDAC cables are not coming with it but seller is giving the connectors and necessary schemes. Asking price: 1700 eur.

Milan, I think that Soundcraft is the same model we have in the main theatre I work in at uni - definitely one of the best boards if not the best we have in the school. Ran a live show with mics, radio mics, a quadrophonic system & a stereo system, delays all that crap through it. We use it for the dance seasons which generally have the biggest system design. Sorry this is probably of no use to you now haha
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/34405_446425172104_635252104_5614897_7035902_n.jpg

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Hey Raja thanks for the info!
I gave up on that particular sale 'cause the seller was beign a jerk. I settled up on a Soundtracs Solo Midi (which is in the repairs for a few months now).

Please tell us more about your work at the uni!

Not much to tell atm - I'm slowly starting a new project and eventually will be working with a performance artist from the UK called Rajni Shah in July. Then working with a postgrad dancer on her solo and the graduating dancers on one of their pieces. I'm pretty nervous after taking a year off, I hope I can still do it. O'Horo, the show above was the last one I worked on in 2010 and it almost killed me haha. I had one assistant, was writing half the score as well as making the sound design stuff, doing all the technical work and I mixed & played some stuff live. I was sleeping in the theatre basically whoops.

Have you graduated now? What are you doing this year? xx

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.