1 (edited by score100 2011-03-17 17:31:35)

Topic: Any other linux users on here?

I found out that using ubuntu works great for me first when I bought a netbook, and my whole xp installation got fucked by a virus.
Meanwhile I had some time where got annoyed by ubuntu and their idea of calling the re-branding of their whole system 'updating'. The other distro's I tried though couldn't beat it in simplicity, so I'm now using ubuntu again.
Any more users of ubuntu or other distro's?
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8331/screenshot1rjm.png

2 (edited by deutschmark 2011-03-17 21:03:38)

Re: Any other linux users on here?

freebsd @work, android @phone, dd-wrt @home wi-fi, does that count ? wink

lärm macht spass!

well I was more thinking of operating systems on your own pc. linux based software use is a good start though I suppose. wink (or at least that's what I guess dd-wrt is all about?)

I have an Ubuntu server at home that manages my 5TB RAID-5 and most of my musical and work projects (via SVN server).

I have it in a MicroATX case that sits on my bookshelf. It's got that Intel ATOM chip and uses like no power and is completely silent. I VPN in from my iPhone so it's easy to manage from anywhere.

I plan on building a new Ubuntu based home media server using Boxee when I move into my new place.

dd-wrt is a firmware for home wireless routers based on linux.. and hey, freebsd didn't impress you at all ? smile

i'm thinking of moving completely to ubuntu or something similar since i abandoned makin music on pc and that was the only reason for using windows

lärm macht spass!

way to go, the more users it gets the better!
it is imho way better than windows, a bit buggy sometimes though and of course very different.

I ended up with a linux eeepc 1000.  i'd ordered one with xp but i received the model up but with linux install.  I was keen to try linux anyway so let it be.
I'm fairly computer literate but linux has been a bit of a challenge, particularly when you want to fix/change things.  I'm still running the stock Xandros but likely to change over to something else.  quite a few times i've found some interesting programs i want to install but they're not available/up to date in the repositories etc and upgrading firefox and flash just to get some mainstream websites working was a real effort.   The sheer number of linux distros is ridiculous though.  Surely would be better if people could just concentrate their efforts on developing existing distro's than creating new ones.  The ones on my list to try are aurora, peppermint ice, easypeasy.  I guess i should maybe try dynebolic and ubuntu studio as well but don't know how they'll work on a netbook. might be ok. 
I think for what i want i'd have been best to stick with xp.  I'm used to it and it runs the apps i want.  But i want to try and run with linux for a bit longer, hopefully without spending too much time hacking at it and instead using the comp as a tool for a more useful/creative end.

8 (edited by HeadphoneMagnet 2011-03-24 15:40:08)

I love the whole Unix experience, but IMO most linux distros (even Ubuntu) still don't have the look and feel of a proper operating system. Don't get me wrong, the user support is there, and even vendor driver support is good, but as ekranoplan says, it still feels "all over the place".

For my Unix fix, I really like OSX for getting a good mix between secure and good looking OS "that just works" (runs Darwin, a solid BSD platform under the hood). Similarly, for server stuff I like using OpenBSD for an extremely secure OS that just works out of the box. Apps and hardware drivers either exist and work solidly or they don't exist.

(I have to use Ubuntu in work too  sad  )

EDIT: Original submit was curtailed.

RHEL rocksssssssssssss