Topic: 7" vinyl beyond 6 minutes

Pressing a limited run of 7" records. I know the recommended time is 6 and below. Shorter the better=louder. What's your take in this? Can we push it further, what have you seen, heard?

Re: 7" vinyl beyond 6 minutes

if you want djs to play it.. just make it a 12"

3 (edited by RBB 2012-03-23 02:24:40)

Speculator, good point. Going for cheap, good deal for 200...like $500 (mastering/press). Nice to get tracks O U T.

some dj's play alot of 7"s as well, especially reggae, rare groove, funk and stuff like that. but from what I have seen that's more like manual jukeboxing then beatmixing smile

5 (edited by RBB 2012-03-23 15:25:03)

Agreed, i've no problem mixing in as long as I have small holes roll ...but fine example of 7"s are abound...recent Nation release, The Modern Electronic Element Serie 2 with SSPS & Beau Wanzer on the 7", remember the Kreisel 99 series...Jack FM (Jamal Moss) etc...Minimal Wave 7s...on and on...

what track needs to be longer than 6 mins?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

computerdisco wrote:

what track needs to be longer than 6 mins?

True...edit edit.

La Monte Young has a 77 min track:
http://www.discogs.com/La-Monte-Young-T … ter/182020

i wonder what that would sound like on a 7"..

cerebus wrote:

La Monte Young has a 77 min track:
http://www.discogs.com/La-Monte-Young-T … ter/182020

i wonder what that would sound like on a 7"..

like shit presumably

make a 10" inch instead. you get your 6 minutes and it's better for a dj to play..

crc wrote:

make a 10" inch instead. you get your 6 minutes and it's better for a dj to play..

That's a good middle ground, getting 9-12 minutes a side.

10" isn't usually much cheaper than 12" though.  like speculator says, make it a 12" if its the type of thing dj's might play

ekranoplan wrote:

10" isn't usually much cheaper than 12" though.  like speculator says, make it a 12" if its the type of thing dj's might play

yeah true, found a good quote...save the 7"s for other experiments maybe...

14 (edited by totallyouted 2012-03-30 07:50:16)

i like 7"s and don't see the difference really between them and 12"s when it comes to mixing. i can use 7"s just as well - anyone who says otherwise just hasn't played with them enough. i've only heard a couple 7's with around 5 minutes but never 6 or more. if you're pressing something that's intended to be played out, and its more than 6 minutes, then just scrape up the extra funds and do a 12 because it'll definitely sound better! even if small monitors or a crappy house party PA doesn't convey the difference, a nice system will. as someone else said, price difference between 10's and 12's is hardly a difference at all so might as well!

thanks for posting this, so I don't have to.. totally agree with you smile

totallyouted wrote:

i like 7"s and don't see the difference really between them and 12"s when it comes to mixing. i can use 7"s just as well - anyone who says otherwise just hasn't played with them enough. i've only heard a couple 7's with around 5 minutes but never 6 or more. if you're pressing something that's intended to be played out, and its more than 6 minutes, then just scrape up the extra funds and do a 12 because it'll definitely sound better! even if small monitors or a crappy house party PA doesn't convey the difference, a nice system will. as someone else said, price difference between 10's and 12's is hardly a difference at all so might as well!

TB or not TB

Sold wink