Re: What new booty have you acquired?

alex_d_steak wrote:

I recently got a polyphonic analog synth.
a.

Ow and what would that be Alex?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

@computerdisco
silly me, I didn't write it. An Alesis A6.
a.

let us know what you think when you have spent some quality time with it smile

So far I am still "toying" around with it and reading the manual... This machine has balls. Some patches really "explode" out
of the loudspeakers, dynamics are incredible... Maybe the filters are a bit "weak" compared to other analogue devices I own (or it might be just me still not knowledgeable enough, clearly).

I am looking forward to see if the control routing exceeds that of the Ob-Mx or the Matrix12/Xpander/6... I think it will.

I have to say that back in the days, I had to choose between this and the G2X. At that time I went for the G2X, which is a
wonderful machine, but I now know what I have missed for all these years tongue

In general I am really satisfied with it, the keyboard "plays" great (it's a Fatar smile and I am looking forward to using it in
many tracks I am writing these days smile

Perfect conditions, nonsmoker studio, had all the time to run the diagnostic to check if everything was ok, as it is smile
Was expensive, but totally worth it smile

What I am missing so far? Latched sequencer. The arpeggiator can be latched, but the sequencer not, so I have to feed it a MIDI note to keep it playing... Hoped I could latch it manually, but oh well, can't have everything smile

a.

http://www.acquris.se/images/263.jpg
One of these to improve my fades,,...

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Tom Dee wrote:

Some new stuff:
a kiwitechnics patch editor (works great for anyone who's wondering)
an allen & heath 16 channel mixer from the late eighties i think (real cheap, but really dirty when i bought it)
a vorg echo orbit tape echo (never heard of this before)
and a tascam portastudio 244. The studio and record room is almost done in the house  smile

How is the feel of the patch editor?? It looks a bit brittle to me.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:
Tom Dee wrote:

Some new stuff:
a kiwitechnics patch editor (works great for anyone who's wondering)
an allen & heath 16 channel mixer from the late eighties i think (real cheap, but really dirty when i bought it)
a vorg echo orbit tape echo (never heard of this before)
and a tascam portastudio 244. The studio and record room is almost done in the house  smile

How is the feel of the patch editor?? It looks a bit brittle to me.

It's definitely not super sturdy as some high-end stuf but better then most midi controllers. Knobs and faders are not top quality but not bad either. I must say that it feels better then it looks on pictures. Only thing that bothered me a bit was the quality of the letters on the metal casing (looks a bit cheap). The interface and the way the synths respond to it are great. All in all i'm a happy consumer  wink

been a long year and a big move, but i finally set my equipment back up and have managed to pick up a few things

d-110 locally for about $70, had a dead battery but it works well enough, need to play around with it with soundiver when i get a few days free.  anyone got any sound banks?

u-20 local for $50, was hoping i could do a quick keyboard cleaning and get it working, but the CL guy was almost as big an idiot as I was, and had no idea how bad it was.  Works via MIDI, but after the five hour process of taking it apart without breaking it, cleaning it, and reassembling it (then taking it apart and putting it back together again because i forgot a cable) i got about six more keys working, and then only intermittently (and lord does that create awful reactions in the velocity sensitivity, i miss my polysix).  so much for the arpeggiator.

kawai spectra for $70 shipped, from an unsold ebay auction and a phone call.  kind of an amazingly poorly thought out rompler, with what are apparently single cycle waveform samples matched to an initial attack sample per octave, where both become hilariously aliased, the former becoming noticeable after a few moments and the latter depending on how far the key is from the original sample (some seem to be simple middle C samples stretched over the keyboard, while others such as one of the pianos are sampled once per octave and yet seem to become just as bit-crushed per octave as the single sample instruments are over the whole keyboard).  That Being Said, the strings are superbly lo-fi and there's a good deal of potential in the KC10, since you can edit things at least as well as any proper filterless rompler, but the base sound is automatically going to be more interesting.  also probably going to need it's own reverb or something, because the internal reverb feels even more lo-fi than the mt-32 reverb, but i haven't really gotten to play around with it yet.

poly-800 is in the mail, but i loved my siel dk-70 like nothing else, so as long as it works then getting roughly the same synth but with a better sequencer (dk-70 sequencer is tape-recorder-style real-time thing which doesn't sync to anything, poly-800 is step synced to midi clock).  the oscillators will be different though, since the siel is a bit more fuzzy in a warm way, where all the korg analog stuff tends toward pure mud mix-wise, without judicious programming.

Got a mint MKS-70 with PG-800, good times!

Right, mixer change. Soundtracs Solo Midi is out (too darn big!!) and a Dynacord MCX 1900 is in!
A wonderful opportunity to unplug everything and clean up the spaghetti. maybe just in time for ifm demo contest?

teknob wrote:

Right, mixer change. Soundtracs Solo Midi is out (too darn big!!) and a Dynacord MCX 1900 is in!
A wonderful opportunity to unplug everything and clean up the spaghetti. maybe just in time for ifm demo contest?

What is your opinion on the Soundtracs console?

mekonin wrote:

What is your opinion on the Soundtracs console?

I think I know to little about the intricacies of british eq, summing paths, etc to get that much out of it. It was certainly very flexible, but I did feel it had quite a high noise level. Again, I am no pro, so maybe I had the "gain structure" all wrong... although I must say, I did follow all the rules, and it's not like I was using mic inputs, so it is usually easy enough.
In the end, I always though if I had more channels I would do things like take all the 707 and 808 drums out individually for seperate EQ and effects. However, with 24ch, I never did, and always had heaps of spare strips.

Did you get one of these recently? My buyer didn't want the roadcase, so it is still in my cellar.

I have a 32ch model in at my tech's for a few months now, needs a thorough clean and stuff, I want to make it a hart of my studio, so I'm asking around about it and the best ways to integrate it with other gear.
Thanks for the offer on the case, but mine wouldn't fit in it. smile

Found a Roland R-8M on a flea market for 20eur.

mekonin wrote:

the sounds are very powerfull imo. But the menu and kit system are really horrible. especially in this maschine era where everything is drag and drop etc.

Septicstudio wrote:
mekonin wrote:

the sounds are very powerfull imo. But the menu and kit system are really horrible. especially in this maschine era where everything is drag and drop etc.

I haven't got time to really get into sounds, on the first hear they sounded too "power rock".
I heard great things about some cards, especially Dance and Electronic ones.

I bought an R8 on ebay about 2 months ago for fairly cheap on ebay because it didn't include a power supply. Took me 1 month to find a power supply but realized it was for a 220V version. Bought an adapter and couldn't get it to turn on so i figured it was broken. Then brought it into Maindrag to get it fixed then found out it just needed a step-up transformer. Someone just gave me one that I'm picking up tonight but it's about the size of a car battery... The endless adventure goes on....   yikes

Ok, Dynacord MCX 1900 Mixer is here. And I got a Peavey Dual Noisegate with Sidechain to silence those pesky Roland Choruses.
The Dynacord seems to be a bit of a rare one. It clips nicely on full gain, and it feels quality, even after 20 years. 20 direct out (every channel, even stereo).

dx7 on the fleamarket for 50 euros.  smile

holy fuck! where are these flea markets!?

Maiovvi wrote:

holy fuck! where are these flea markets!?

Found this in Oedelem, West-Flanders Belgium. First time i found something like that on a fleamarket though. Haggled down from 100 euro's with the well-known 'the price is too high, i'll just walk away disinterested' trick.... tongue .

That's a good price for a DX7! Congrats!

In Oedelgem of all places   big_smile

"A Real Music Hater"

4,324 (edited by Tom Dee 2012-05-15 16:13:06)

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

In Oedelgem of all places   big_smile

Yup, kzitten ier tusschen de boertjes...mo kjeunen me wel  wink
en merci vot compliment Brian! (google translate: west-vlaams/nederlands)

impressive
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2011/11/monotrondelay.jpg