Topic: Seattle

Probably off to Seattle for a weekend wedding in a few weeks.

Any tips for shops to go to, bars to visit etc?

Re: Seattle

bimbo's bitchin' burritos has good food and my best pal works there.  if you have time to walk around a bit in the nature, seward park is pretty and doesn't take forever if you've got other things to do.

ah!
walk past that crazy library designed by Rem Koolhaas...
if you have time, take the ferry to Bainbridge Island............ so pretty ..... pure Twin Peaks vibes....

speaking of Twin Peaks....

we didn't make it there because roads were blocked with an avalanche, but you can visit the location for outdoor shots for that series:
"Just take Interstate 90 east of Seattle for about half an hour until you get to the area around Snoqualmie Falls, seen in each week's opening credits, and you'll find some of the spots where series exteriors and some interiors were shot in February and March of 1989.

Like most movie settings, the mythical town of Twin Peaks is a composite, made up primarily of locales in the small mountain burghs of Snoqualmie, North Bend and Fall City -- all of which are clustered within minutes of one another on highways 202 and 203."

4 (edited by kinakoJam 2008-07-12 14:47:12)

RESPECT RECORDS 1315 E. PINE ST. (CAPITOL HILL)

JIVE TIME 3506 FREMONT AVE. (FREMONT), 411 E. PINE ST. (CAPITOL HILL)
www.jivetimerecords.com

WALL OF SOUND 315 E. PINE ST. (CAPITOL HILL)

Another digging spot:
FREMONT ANTIQUE MALL 3419 FREMONT PL. N. (FREMONT)

I think Suenomartino can tell more about this, but if you have time head to Tacoma, in Gerd Janson's words:
" Have you ever seen a Kevin Smith movie like 'Clerks'? Yes? Then you know how Tacoma looks. The eye of corporate America and the smell of New Wave and Punk rock kids that still wear their The Cramps leatherjacket out of belief and not because it is a Berlin fashion item. There is a main road with two record stores, a vintage hi-fi merchant and two independently owned grease spots. 'House Of Records' is a great spot though with tons of wax and two guys behind the counter that put Statler & Waldorf to shame. "

... also..
OKOK GALLERY   5107 Ballard Ave.  http://www.okokgallery.com/home2.html

CENTER ON CONTEMPORARY ART (CoCA) 410 DEXTER AVE. N. www.cocaseattle.org

For events/clubs, check:
THE STRANGER  www.thestranger.com
(there is some block party that weekend.......)

For coffee and free wi fi:
BAUHAUS 301 E. PINE ST. (CAPITOL HILL)

TOP POT COFFEE  2124 5th AVE. (DOWNTOWN) www.toppotdoughnuts.com

For food/snacks:
BAGUETTE BOX 1203 PINE ST. (CAPITOL HILL)

DAHLIA BAKERY 2001 4th AVE. (DOWNTOWN) www.tomdouglas.com

DICK

5 (edited by GM 2008-07-16 00:47:47)

It's a dark city, didn't liked the atmosphere there. Maybe when the sun is shinning it is better.

I was depressed the days I was there.... you can't see much positivity in that state of mind.

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

I didn't like the atmosphere there too. Even with the sun shining.

Some nice beer bars I just went to last week:
Brouwer's - in Fremont, one of the more relaxed neighbourhoods
[url=http://www.uberbier.com/]

there is also an all belgian beer bar around capitol hill, i think it's on olive way

I think you mean the Stumbling Monk.

More in Seattle:
http://ratebeer.com/Places/FindPlacesBy … ty=Seattle

Cheers robots - a good list of places to go!

I was in Seattle a couple week ago for 3 days. I liked the city, but I didn't find really good record shops and we didn't have great nights out, but that was probably also because we had weekdays there.

I can recommend one touristy thing: take the tour of the Boeing factory, it's a 20 minute drive to the north from downtown, very impressive, supposedly it's the largest building in the world (by volume), and it's really cool to see the planes in their various states of completion.

Are you going to be there during the decibel festival?
http://www.dbfestival.com/

It looks pretty interesting this year. A lot of stuff I've never even heard of.

Faaaark that looks mad!^

31avas
33hz
Akira Rabelais
Alala.One
Alland Byallo
Aron Schoppert
Attentat
Audion
Bal

Well I'm back from Seattle - and in the end I didn't get to do much at all - I went to a wedding then spent the next day getting taken out by family. Firstly to a great Vietnamese restaurant, then to a place called the Crabpot, where they are you with a board, a mallet and some nutcrackers, and then empty buckets of steamed seafood, and corn on the cob and potatoes all over the table. It was both cheesy and cool simultaneously