Topic: Record Store Day

Hopefully the local shop will be carrying the eleven pond 12" otherwise i'll have to go to LA to amoeba to fight over it with a bunch of others.

Any record store day vinyl you plan on getting?

2 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2012-04-12 23:30:58)

Re: Record Store Day

yes yes, Wool-e-shop also celebrates record store day, should be cool.

"A Real Music Hater"

I would like to get the Ultima Thule 7" by Tangerine Dream:
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.com/2012/0 … ltima.html
Besides that the Eleven Pond 12" sounds cool too, seem to be hard to get in Holland but I'm in the US/Canada around that time, but I don't think I'm able to go to a record store that day. Is i
On the whole, I think record store is a bit overrated. There are some nice releases, but most of the stuff is not that interesting in my opinion. I guess there's some nice stuff for everyone's taste though.

yea this will really be the first time that i will have participated in the record store day thing. i'd rather avoid the crowds (if at a popular store) and also not really been excited about the previous releases for example Beach Boys 78s. That would be cool for the collector type but for me no thanks.

thanks for pointing out, just send the shop where Im 'junior partner' wink a mail to let them know there is such thing as a 'record-store-day'  big_smile

TB or not TB

is the demo version of watching trees on the rough trade 12" maybe?

credit_00 wrote:

is the demo version of watching trees on the rough trade 12" maybe?

yes it is ! smile http://www.arc018.com/news/entry/watchi … -store-day

dont know what the hype is over 11 pond, they fucking sucked

9 (edited by kuczera 2012-04-18 03:35:24)

tangerine dream, eleven pond sounds good, better then that shit 12 inch from neu! last year

edit typo

Vlam Aan

quite big here, most independent record stores get behind it. And why wouldnt they? business cant be too good. neutral

11 (edited by plikestechno 2012-04-22 05:46:21)

It's pretty big in Canada. Three record stores in my city participated in the whole RSD thing.

I went a couple of hours after my local record shop opened on purpose as I didn't want my son to be crushed by the hardcore record nerds. Would have loved to have had some time to dig as the store I went to had all their used stock 50% off and I hadn't been there forever but I know my 2.5 year old was of limited patience and was being a good boy. I just walked in, grabbed some RSD things and got in line to pay.

Despite that I still made out good and got most of the RSD releases I really wanted

Flaming Lips Friends 2xLP
Tangerine Dream Ultima Thule 7
Tortoise Mosquito/Lonesome Sound 2x7
J Dilla/Common 7 on BBE

Would have been nice to get the Nicolas Jaar/Mike Kirkland edit but no one in my city even got it in.

I don't mind RSD releases. In a day where normal releases can be bought anytime on Discogs I think it gives a reason to go down to the shop.

There were way more releases then last year and I imagine there will be even more next year. Artists/labels have caught on. It is a good way to sell things as some of the "limited" numbers would be lucky to sell that many as a normal release.

it wasn't big here and it was on saturday (everything is closed in Israel). i was at record fair in some bar which was really nice
few local RSD releases.
i only got 3 second hands:
KLF - What Time is Love
Freestyle Man (on sahko rec)
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine

it was nice event specially when we haven't got that much record store around
the whole idea of RSD is nice although it slightly smell of capitalism (a whole day dedicated for purchase records...)
sure i'm not against it but it cross my mind at some point

Mule Driver wrote:

it wasn't big here and it was on saturday (everything is closed in Israel). i was at record fair in some bar which was really nice
few local RSD releases.
i only got 3 second hands:
KLF - What Time is Love
Freestyle Man (on sahko rec)
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine

it was nice event specially when we haven't got that much record store around
the whole idea of RSD is nice although it slightly smell of capitalism (a whole day dedicated for purchase records...)
sure i'm not against it but it cross my mind at some point

doesn't it have more to do with community than capitalism? the online shops that sell thousands of records daily would be more representative of a capitalist agenda. don't small records shops serve a wider purpose? in that they serve as a focal point for local scenes where people can meet and chat musix.

i'm totally not against RSD, as i mentioned, it just crossed my mind. you are right, it does have great community side.
here (tel aviv) we have few second hand records store and i maybe the only 2 who import new records it's been few years since i had nice music chat at a record store in israel. and from that point, the event i was at on RSD, was good.