Re: Should I buy...

QY is pretty ok for 45Eurobucks...

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

computerdisco wrote:

QY is pretty ok for 45Eurobucks...

is the qy300 in any way comparable to the 700 (which is highly regarded)?

Yeah its a stripped down Qy700, its got its own way of working which either you will like or hate.  See if you can borrow it for a day or 2 then you will see if its for you or not..

is would buy try, and when disliked resell for the 45 bucks

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

fender Rhodes mk2 seventy three for 650 euron?

Boss DR202
I heard its relatively easy to add jack outs.
Hows the sequencer and sounds?

not great at all.....
maybe for 10/15 euros

2,033 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-22 00:20:29)

In the basement of my work for awhile there have been two Revox B77 recorders and a very pro looking Sony PCM 7040 DAT machine. Now that I'm close to actually putting something down I finally decided to ask my boss today about them and offered to pay a bit or donate to one of our charities for one of the B77s and the DAT machine. What would be a decent price if they are both working? I'm not wanting to pay Ebay rate but I thought maybe 100 Canadian for one B77 and the DAT. The boss said they probably would have ended up getting chucked anyway and to give him a couple of days to think about it.

I work at a TV station with engineers so if neither is working they could look at it for a few bucks as they've done with some other little things of mine.

If they were used in a TV station they probably have a lot of wear on the heads. You can find replacements on ebay but who knows what the quality is like.

Do you know anyone who can calibrate it for you? If so might be worth something, I'd offer 50$ unless you are feeling generous. They will never be used again by that station and your boss is right they will probably be chucked.

why not volunteer to clear out the basement, that way the boss will see you as a dedicated team member while you casually acquire some vintage badness

The 7040 is one of the best DAT machines around, but the AD isn't very good. It's main feature is that is a workhorse like no other and it's got sonys (industry top of the line no other company or product comes even close) synchroniser which is super fast and steady as a rock!

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Also worth mentioning if the B77 is of the 15ips variety it's much more desirable.

2,038 (edited by plikestechno 2012-03-27 08:25:07)

So I went back downstairs at work to check the ips of the machines and it turns out they are two different machines. One is a B77 with 15ips but the other is actually a mkI PR99 (analog counter) but I think it is a 3.75/7.5 machine. Should I go with the PR99? It seems to be in a bit better shape and apparently the PR99 is the pro version. I am fine with balanced in/outs. They both have their rack chassis as well which is handy as I don't have a lot of footprint in my studio and would want either racked.

Except for the balanced connectors thry are the same machine. I'd prefer a 7.5/15 ips machine over a 3.25/7.5 ips machine. And look at the heads, unless they are butterfly heads Revox heads are very soft and should be rounded, flat spots are wear. Till 3mm it's fine, more wear is less good. And of course check both machines working condition to find out which is the one to get.

Any experience with the Jomox 999???? There is only one decent demo on YT!?!?!!? Anyone tried it demoed it????

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

Any experience with the Jomox 999???? There is only one decent demo on YT!?!?!!? Anyone tried it demoed it????

I've had one for a little over a year now. It's fantastic, really everything I could want in a drum machine.

You have 4 analog drum sounds, kick, snare, low tom, high tom, each with many options to customize the sound. For example with the kick beyond basic pitch, tone and envelope controls you have harmonics, compressor, eq, noise, filter controls.

The remaining sounds are sample based, and you can load your own samples into the machine. I believe it's around 30 different samples per sound you can load.

The great thing about the samples is that they all run through a VCA that distorts very nicely when you push the sound, and you have additional filter controls if you want to shape the sound a bit. You can of course alter pitch and attack/decay for these sounds as well.

Another great feature of the 999 is that you can program sounds on a per step basis. For example, you can load different hat sounds in the same pattern at different steps. Additionally you can change the settings per step so you can pitch a drum or tom up and and down to create basslines. I put some chord samples into mine so I can do basic chord memory type patterns when I want to.

There is also a filter that you can program on the sequencer but I don't use this feature that much.

The biggest complaint about the Jomox is the interface. I don't find it confusing but many people do. I always read the manual when I get new gear, so once I figured out the different modes of operation I was good to go. Each one of the parameter knobs can control the volume of the different sounds and can be clicked down to mute the different sounds, which is a nice touch. You can edit and switch patterns and drum kits independently without stopping the unit but I could see if you are uncomfortable with the machine it may be easy to unintentionally switch a pattern or drum kit.

I really love mine and don't see myself ever getting rid of it. It's definitely worth checking out if you are in the market for a great sounding drum machine.

The 999 sample packs from wave alchemy got me interested in the drum machine, and I think they are a good representation of the range of the kick drum.

You can also load the tok tok and dr walker sounds into the 999 so demos like these could be helpful as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2xHj1gJN4

1. Korg M3R - i read that it similar to the M1 (shouldn't it be M3?)
is it any good?

2. i'm looking for polyphony synth for chords, pads, etc.
i have korg ms2000, poly 800 (which i hardly use) and casio CZ-101 (also hardly use)
i'm thinking about Roland R-50 or Yamaha DX7, any suggestion?

Mule Driver wrote:

2. i'm looking for polyphony synth for chords, pads, etc.
i have korg ms2000, poly 800 (which i hardly use) and casio CZ-101 (also hardly use)
i'm thinking about Roland R-50 or Yamaha DX7, any suggestion?

sure you realize there is a lot you can do with the synths you have right now, especially if you sampled them and fucked with the samples. 

I would liken a dx7 to a sr-71 that rarely leaves the hangar. 

two polysynths that I think sound way better than that korg stuff is a juno 106 and an ensoniq esq 1.  I also like the nord micro modular for a four voice polysynth and the novation a station is also better than a korg.

yeah boyeee

my poly 800 has midi issues, that's the reason i hardly use it
i found quiet cheep dx...

I want to start producing analog, but I know nothing about anything!  My buddy recommends I get a Roland TR-505 and a Yamaha DX (he says a cheap DX27 will do) or a MickroKorg (which might be too expensive). 

Maybe I should have made a thread for this, but what say you guys?

mushaden wrote:

I want to start producing analog, but I know nothing about anything!  My buddy recommends I get a Roland TR-505 and a Yamaha DX (he says a cheap DX27 will do) or a MickroKorg (which might be too expensive). 

Neither of those are analog. What is it that you want to do?

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

mushaden wrote:

Make a thread for it

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

sneakthief wrote:
mushaden wrote:

I want to start producing analog,...

You beat me to it, must have been on everyone's itchy trigger fingerz.

teknob wrote:
sneakthief wrote:
mushaden wrote:

I want to start producing analog,...

You beat me to it, must have been on everyone's itchy trigger fingerz.

smile

I do think that a lot of new (non-english speaking) computer kids on the block confuse 'analog' with 'hardware'. I've heard the mistake being made it more often recently.

Korg Esx-1 for €250? Smart media version...