Topic: My first hardware

Taken from the "Should I Buy" thread.

I want to start producing and was looking for help on where to start on a tight budget.  I'd like to be making stuff that sounds like I-F - Brown Elbow Conspiracy tracks. 

I know this is vague but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks

Re: My first hardware

Let me see if I can recall, I asked the man from the Hague years ago when I first met him..

Apart from the 808, the Korg VC-10 Vocoder has been used, the Korg MS-20 (or a 10, but my memory tells me it was a 20)
and a Oberheim OB-Xa. Can't really tell if he already had the A100 modules back in the days of those records, might have been.

Anyway, these are all expensive devices nowadays - it's all vintage stuff, so either you are prepared to shell out a considerable
amount of cash for that gear (seen a 808 recently go over 2000 Euros, which is crazy IMHO) or consider the new alternatives,
like the soon-to-be-available Arturia Minibrute, which sounds promising and I think it's up to par with the sounds you're looking
for. Plus a good tube processor and you're good to go smile

a.

3 (edited by ronin 2012-05-02 17:17:30)

some thoughts on a beat machine

if you want to have analog then you could consider the MFB 522 which has the rough sound of an 808. you could probably pick that up for around €150+ second hand.

otherwise you would be wisely advised to go for something like the korg esx as touted so often in these parts. i've seen the older Smartmedia card models going for €150 second hand. load one of these with acquired samples and you will be much better equipped than the feature limited above mentioned machine.

4 (edited by SSM v3 2012-05-02 00:38:47)

I don't know those tracks/sounds so I'm pretty much shooting in the dark here but in for good cheap gear on a tight budget it might be worth thinking about some of the following (I'm assuming you want to minimize computer/midi):

Analogue(ish):

Drum Machines -

Boss DR110 - good and cheap but you'll have to mod it for syncing
Roland TR 606

Synths -

Roland Juno 1/2, Jx-3p
Ensoniq ESQ-1/80
Korg EX/DX 6000/8000, Poly 6 etc.
SCI Sixtrak etc.

Digital:

Loads of stuff.

Drums -

Roland TR 505
SCI Drumtraks etc.
Yamaha RX1

Synths -

Yamaha DX7,9 etc. TX, SY whatever
Casio CZ series
Basically any non-analogue synth from the 80s/90s.

You might need a sequencer and mixer as well depending on how hardware you're going.

Hope this helps a bit. smile

Edit: Just noticed the other replies. A few good modern analogue options for sure. MFB are very good pricewise. Doepfer Dark Energy's another good contender plus the much talked about Minibrute.

A good start might also be a sequencer with sampler or built-in sounds and a multitimbral virtual analog synthesizer, e.g. an Akai MPC or Yamaha RM1x to make the beats and then a Nord Lead or Nord Rack, which is basically like having 4 independent synths, so you can do bassline, melody and pads with that. Later on, you can always add some synths to that setup, like an analog mono synth for bass (e.g. Doepfer 404 or something like that).

Nice thing about having a sampler: it's not limited to drums.

Also check out the Electribe ESX and EMX, which might be a good combination to start.

6 (edited by INTERFUNK 2012-05-02 12:55:53)

i remember a green NORD LEAD synth on one pic of the autistic sync studio, which i-f also used for space invaders - i think its a good synth for the beginning, keeping in mind that the last versions have 4 separate outputs as ZeHa already mentioned...

http://www.amazona.de/media/articles/article_images/article_566/7_NL3topviewLarge.jpg

but for some dirt its always good to get some vintage stuff - like MS-10, which is still quite affordable.

Orgel!

INTERFUNK wrote:

like MS-10, which is still quite affordable.

650 euros onwards nowadays... very pricey I guess

Maybe the thread starter should be a bit more specific... like what's the budget (most important I think), is there a preference for analog or digital, will a computer be involved or should it be a no-computer-setup, etc etc

And of course if he already has stuff like a mixing console (even if it's a DJ mixer), something to record with, external soundcard, a MIDI-capable keyboard maybe, etc

9 (edited by INTERFUNK 2012-05-02 17:06:16)

automatique wrote:
INTERFUNK wrote:

like MS-10, which is still quite affordable.

650 euros onwards nowadays... very pricey I guess

..are you always paying ebay-prices ??? i think people are intelligent enough to take some time and dig for a good deal in private classifieds or whatever - its still possible to find an ms10 for a reasonable price...

..but as far as you are going to start making music with analogue gear in 2012 you always need to know that vintage stuff does not cost peanuts... if stuff is not affortable - go digital, or try to buy modern analoque synths.

Orgel!

He also Used the Alesis MMT-8 for a sequencer, I was under the impression it was a Pro one and the system 100 modular also had an Arp Oddesy.. I have the Ob-8 now..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

For cheap Analogue don't discount the DSI MOFO its a killer for the second hand price....

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

My budget is just like $500 USD, maybe could push up to $700.

Let's just say I have nothing.  I would like to not have to use a computer but it might be impossible with my budget.

Thanks for all the tips

All that stuff is a TR808 + Sequential Pro One
Just get a Boss DR660 drum machine and one of those new Arturia Minibrute synths, put the 660 through the Arturia filter and crank up the mixer and there you go

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Just get a Boss DR660 drum machine and one of those new Arturia Minibrute synths, put the 660 through the Arturia filter and crank up the mixer and there you go

Love the easy fix.... big_smile

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweP_iRt8Mk[/youtube]

Erroraudio wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:

Love the easy fix.... big_smile

Probably even have some spare $$$ for a Korg monotron Delay or even Monotribe

Thanks Smackos  smile