Topic: help me... WHICH FORMAT?????

I'm compiling a bunch of DRVG CVLTVRE material. There's some stuff that will be forthcoming on other labels, but I'm prepping an actual album. I already know what you are going to say, but this release is keeping me awake at night. IN which format should be released? and how is this going to not break me financially?

the simple breakdown is this: 500 cd's set me back 700 euro

500 double LP's will set me back about 2000.

of course I love vinyl, but damn man, I cant cough up that kind of money? and it will take me forever to sell these 500 copies. plus another thing: the Dutch press (and others, in the 'bigger' music press) will not review a 12", but will go for cd release instead.

help me out. whats the word, how do I do this????

Re: help me... WHICH FORMAT?????

sending you a mail vince.

thanks man! vinyl... it's gotta be vinyl right? :-)

I like it the most, CDJs scare the shit out of me.

5 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2012-05-16 13:21:21)

In times like these I would go for CD's or perhaps you could wait for a better moment to release the album. If vinyl is more than 2x the price, that's something to take in consideration. But if money isn't an issue, we will all say vinyl  wink
Selling 500 copies in our niche is a hell of an achievement nowadays.

"A Real Music Hater"

thanks guys!

even though common sense says cd, release vinyl and keep elitism alive

old men like us release vinyl, vince. its a law of nature.

and 500 copies is not impossible. but have you thought about less? 200 or 300?

would be cool to have merika on vinyl my personal fav

Vlam Aan

you know what we're going to say... cool

And what if you want to release full-length albums like I'm doing for my new label, Neuroplayer? Double vinyl pressings are crazy expensive.

If it's any help, I chose to release little "objets d'arts" instead. That means something out of the ordinary, something that's unique and thoughtful.

The combination that piqued my interest was printed metal CD cases with high-quality 12cm stickers featuring really nice hand-drawn illustrations without any logos (so you can stick them wherever you want without being bombarded by "advertising"). And people who buy the cd get the download for free.

http://sneak-thief.com/neuro-teaser.png

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

wow sneak that looks amazing!

who buy's CD's these days?.. I would say a proper (payed) download incl art-work or vinyl.. prefer vinyl. CD is a dying format, even tape would be better wink

vincentkoreman wrote:

TB or not TB

14 (edited by sneakthief 2012-05-17 18:35:34)

Freek wrote:

who buy's CD's these days?.. I would say a proper (payed) download incl art-work or vinyl.. prefer vinyl. CD is a dying format, even tape would be better wink

vincentkoreman wrote:

Freek - I think you're playing the Devil's Advocate and I don't believe for a second that tapes are better. CD is a dying format, but at least the majority of people have CD players compared to tape players - not to mention in their cars. And I suggest speaking to someone in the industry about how many CD's are still sold. You might be surprised, especially in places like Japan where CD is still king (for now).

Besides, at least with this particular idea of mine for Neuroplayer, immediate downloads are included and you get a nice artistic package at a low price (11 euro). In comparison, downloading the full 9-track album as waves from a site like Juno Download would cost roughly 22e.

The other issue as I mentioned before is the prohibitive cost of pressing a double-LP. Everybody says they want vinyl but these days you get burned badly more often than not when pressing double-LP's because the demand is lower due to the high price.

Anyhow, we're talking about right here, right now. I say manufacture what you can afford and do it with love.

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

I'd say vinyl or digital.
I never buy cd's anymore it's just vinyl or digital what i buy nowadays.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

sneakthief wrote:
Freek wrote:

vincentkoreman wrote:

Freek - I think you're playing the Devil's Advocate and I don't believe for a second that tapes are better. CD is a dying format, but at least the majority of people have CD players compared to tape players - not to mention in their cars. And I suggest speaking to someone in the industry about how many CD's are still sold. You might be surprised, especially in places like Japan where CD is still king (for now)

off-course tapes aren't better but they are fun and hot in the 'niche old skool industry' again I believe (also don't take my tape suggestion that serious). But again I have the impression CD's are bit waste of money unless you are a big (rock) artist or self-promoting (and they also get lost under driver seats etc wink ). Im no fan of download releases but can imagine a double LP is expensive and risky. Still vinyl has my vote because they will be cherished for years or played to death smile

TB or not TB

a cd you can burn and play at your work, in the car, at the gym, on your phone while you walk.  try taking a record on a long run smile  besides, even people who buy vinyl convert to mp3 and listen on their ipod,

vynil + digital

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

cebteq wrote:

..  besides, even people who buy vinyl convert to mp3 and listen on their ipod,

problem solved smile

TB or not TB

you can do 2 single lp's instead of one double. or do one lp, and a tape with extra tracks. tape is definitely on the rise again, the last year 've seen and recieved more of them than in the 20 years before.

downloads.. on one hand yes, include them in the release. on the other hand, i'm starting to like the idea of 'vinyl only' more and more...

Freek wrote:
cebteq wrote:

..  besides, even people who buy vinyl convert to mp3 and listen on their ipod,

problem solved smile

tell that to VK who has to jump through hoops just so you can have an addition to your collection  cool

Wouldn't say CD is a dying format, at least not for every style. CD is still the number one format for ambient music nowadays f.e.

"A Real Music Hater"

"I say manufacture what you can afford and do it with love."
-> +1

wow, the discussion has just started I see....

right now I'm leaning towards a limited (100) copies 12" and a limited (200) copies CD
a tape is already in the works, way ahead of you there :-)

should the 12" and the cd contain the same tracks? Man, i'm sorting through all my tracks since 2009 and its a LOT.. I would be tempted to outsource the selection of the cd and vinyl as well, but in real life, chances are we might not have the same taste in music when it comes to my music..

as far as downloads go: everything has ALWAYS been a free download - grab it:
http://soundcloud.com/drvgcvltvre/sets/originals-716/

25 (edited by kuczera 2012-05-18 11:03:36)

gewoon doen joh, er lopen genoeg tracks op ifm van jou en ze doen het goed
dus een plaat moet nu gewoon komen, als je nog meer shizzle hebt stuur gerust op

mss zit er zelfs nog een viewlexje in het verschiet

Vlam Aan