1 (edited by Alexander Beard 2012-06-14 14:47:04)

Topic: Reel to reel tape questions

Where do you buy your reel to reel tapes? Any recommendations on brands, webshops etc (not thomann)?
I'm using a Sony TC-377

Edit: And of course what brands to avoid

Re: Reel to reel tape questions

why not thomann? they have the new rmg's..

otherwise ebay. it also depends on what your deck is adjusted for.

avoid: ampex. they can shed like c razy..

Because I made an order for cables that morning and couldn't change it. And shipping is aprox 10 or 15E or something for 9 cables to "my" country. No other reason.

I found some maxell tapes that I heard good things about. But I will probably go for thomann next time. Thank you for your recommendations.

isn't the shipping from thomann always the same no matter it it is just one cable or a big synth?
i have used rmg's with a revox 77. sounded good!

crc wrote:

isn't the shipping from thomann always the same no matter it it is just one cable or a big synth?
i have used rmg's with a revox 77. sounded good!

I don't know, but I know that I'm not happy with paying for two shipping fees at the same day from the same company.

just send 'em a mail telling them to add it to your existing order. sometimes you have to bypass the automated system.

rude66 wrote:

avoid: ampex. they can shed like c razy..

Almost killed my machine with a really old Shamrock tape, luckily I got expert help immediately.

Avoid: Shamrock, Ampex

When using a machine like TC-377, are there differences in sound and/or recording level between SM911 or LPR35. I read on the Internet that you can go higher in recording level with SM911. Is that true, when using a machine for home recording like TC-377?