Topic: robots in conflict?

Dear robots,

I'm doing research on the formal study of normative conflicts, and I was wondering whether there are any good examples in popular culture of robots that 'shut down' when faced with a normative conflict, e.g. a moral dilemma. The idea would be that the robot cannot deal with two equally strong (moral) requirements, and shortcuts or loops because he cannot decide between the alternatives.

It's a bit of a long shot, but this is a good place to ask. Does anyone know of a good example?

jj

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Re: robots in conflict?

Bias might help you...you need to check the old cbs archive

fantomas wrote:

Bias might help you...you need to check the old cbs archive

Thanks for the tip fantomas. How can I access the archive? Searched around a bit on the forum but there are way too many search results for 'cbs' smile

idk...one of the moderators might be helpful

There's an episode of Star Trek that ends with that. Kirk confuses the robot probe with some kind of paradox so it shuts down. Can't remember the name of the episode though hmm

Probably this one, where an android shuts down when confronted with the liar paradox:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVxsYzXI_Y[/youtube]

Thanks for the tip Techni, this may come in handy

Ideally, I'm looking for cases in which the robot shuts down due to a moral conflict, but this is heading in the right direction smile

There's another one where the computer is designed to protect, and they confuse it by proving to it that it was a threat itself, and so it shuts down. But I guess that's not much of a moral dilemma either hmm

The bit in Robocop where he can't arrest Bob Morton because of Directive 4 (classified)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjalawNtXC4[/youtube]

lol

9 (edited by mekonin 2012-06-17 18:54:44)

How about the scene from Dark Star where the hero disarms the sentient bomb by throwing existential concepts at it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiPir7N1_-s[/youtube]

Technicolor wrote:

There's another one where the computer is designed to protect, and they confuse it by proving to it that it was a threat itself, and so it shuts down. But I guess that's not much of a moral dilemma either hmm

I would nonetheless be very interested to see it. All of these are fun illustrations of problems on the edge of ethics, robotics, logic and computer science. All quite interesting to me. The dark star computer reminds me very much of HAL-9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey

No moral dilemmas yet, but thanks for the examples so far!

Asimov's 3 laws of robotics maybe fits this, I don't know. In The Naked Sun, the robots suffer a great deal of damage when they, unwillingly, harm a human being. It's the thing about the interpretation of the laws. A robot could indeed harm a human being, not knowing so. But once the robot's aware that he was the responsible for such an act, he "breaks". The interesting thing is that the robot doesn't actually shuts down, but starts behaving in an odd way, more like a traumatized person, in shock, then a defective machine.

These are exactly the kinds of situations I'm looking for. A quick internet search revealed that Asimov dealt with this problem at various times and places in his writings. In The Robots of Dawn he writes:

"What was troubling the robot was what roboticists called an equipotential of contradiction on the second level. Obedience was the Second Law and [the robot] was suffering from two roughly equal and contradictory orders. Robot- block was what the general population called it or, more frequently, roblock for short . . . [or] `mental freeze- out.' No matter how subtle and intricate a brain might be, there is always some way of setting up a contradiction. This is a fundamental truth of mathematics."

This is what I'm looking for. When given conflicting orders, the robot experiences two equipowerful commands he cannot jointly fulfil. I'll check some of his stories and novels in more detail.

Many thanks miravalles smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_not_compute

thx for the tip qob!