4,351 (edited by plikestechno 2012-06-27 06:18:32)

Re: What new booty have you acquired?

I haven't bought anything in forever as I'm just finishing paying off a big bunch of Serge but I couldn't resist an Eventide Eclipse with 4.01 already updated on it for 750 Canadian in town today. No shippy, no customs. First Eventide product, we'll see what all the hype is about.

Been waiting for any of the cheaper eventide to come up in town forever so glad I jumped on it.

4,352 (edited by plikestechno 2012-06-27 06:53:58)

Hahaha. I can see how the Eclipse is the gateway drug to things like Orvilles, H7600, H8000FWs. I don't have time to sit around and make new presets forever though so the Eclipse is good enough for me. Played around with it tonight for a couple of hours. Sounds great and actually quite easy to tweak in just a 1U rack device.

beat up SH101 with a few issues:

sawtooth osc fader doesn't work, no sawtooth heard
noise fader doesn't work, no noise heard
VCF Freq fader is requires attention, cuts in and out from 7-10 position
VCA sustain fader doesnt work. Sustain is stuck at max i think.

Bender CVF control doesnt work although VCO mod does work
Bender LFO Mod doesnt work

VCO tuning wanders quite a bit

top note key contact requires attention.  It does trigger intermittantly but doesnt hold gate open

Battery compartment is a bit rusty and signs of previous leakage.
VCF calibration might be off too. Do you always require env or keyboard tracking mod faders at max to hear the open VCF? My Juno isnt like that

The filter should open up all the way just by pushing the slider all the way up.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

the 2nd output on the guitar was already there, its a mod that gives the bridge pickup its own output. rather cool!

Oh nice... I wouldn't know what to do with it but sure why not.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

got me a tetra. it's super great! amazingly, a lot of very useable factory presets   yikes

4,358 (edited by mortis lock 2012-07-02 13:30:46)

transient sun wrote:

been a long year and a big move, but i finally set my equipment back up and have managed to pick up a few things

d-110 locally for about $70, had a dead battery but it works well enough, need to play around with it with soundiver when i get a few days free.  anyone got any sound banks?

do u still need d110 patches?
got one for 10 gbp last week with pg10 programmer...love it.

Erroraudio wrote:

Oh nice... I wouldn't know what to do with it but sure why not.

you have 2 outputs, so send both to a completely different fx chain for example..

Well it was f-ing time - been searching for these bad boys like mad. Entering the jacking zone in three, two, one...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8266/tr707.jpg

You were just a damn sequencer
Moving to the beat
Living with a synthesizer
Cold as a repeat

^Fuck yeah Henri! Looks damn near mint from the photo (snazzy rug there too), any known issues or is it all in order?

I live in the 707 area code here in the USA and I still have no TR-707 myself, it pains me deeply!!!  mad

AudaxPowder wrote:

^Fuck yeah Henri! Looks damn near mint from the photo (snazzy rug there too), any known issues or is it all in order?

I live in the 707 area code here in the USA and I still have no TR-707 myself, it pains me deeply!!!  mad

Boy it was a long search, I tell you! Had them on my hands plenty of times but either was slightly too late on the deal or just ignored by the seller. The 505 has been a great alternative but I just had to have the big boy. The power adapter connector on the back of the machine has been changed for some reason and it runs on a 9V adapter. Also some nasty sticky leftovers from a masking tape are to be found right under the main keys - some letters have been faded probably after the attempts to rub that glue off. The plastic is slightly more yellow (even though it looks quite clean in the picture) compared to the 727 but since all the fader caps, buttons and such are there and the unit actually does work flawlessly, we're cool!

Hehe, that literally is the jacking zone you're living in! I demand that your area code needs to be changed to 626.

You were just a damn sequencer
Moving to the beat
Living with a synthesizer
Cold as a repeat

First new piece of gear in (I think) over a year.  Popped up locally for a great price and I've been on the lookout for one for a while now.  When I contacted the seller it turned out it was someone I've known for years, so he held it for me.  I love it when a plan comes together.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzM4WDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqN,!lEE-k5F2,nHBP9Kg)MrU!~~48_20.JPG

Awesome. I've had some good luck locally lately too. Not with big awe-inspiring things but things I've just always wanted to try but didn't want to pay big prices or shipping for.

Like today. Looks like it's ensoniq week. Was hoping for a DP/4 to come up forever and one came up today. Not a + but still wanted to try it out. 175 canadian and as always love the no shipping, no customs.

unicity: how's that ensoniq? there is one quite cheap locally. not much good demos on the net.

Squadra Smackos' former Kawai K4r as a source for some rompler-type sounds and a Yamaha DX21 out of sheer curiosity (never toyed around with an FM synth before).

ensoniq DP4(+) is cool, what do you want to know specific?

crc wrote:

unicity: how's that ensoniq? there is one quite cheap locally. not much good demos on the net.

TB or not TB

freek: sorry not the dp4, but the VFX SD... dp4 is great, that i know smile

smile

crc wrote:

freek: sorry not the dp4, but the VFX SD... dp4 is great, that i know smile

TB or not TB

CRC - the VFX SD is a great digital synthesizer.  The presets are hilariously late 80's sounding and barely hint at what the machine if capable of, but it's a very deep synth. The voice architecture is pretty unique - a "sound" can be made up of six "voices", where each "voice" contains one oscillator, one LFO, 3 (loopable) envelopes, two (non-resonant) filters and 15 modulators.  You can then route the voices through two effects (that sound great in a semi-trashy way).  So far I typically use two or three voices in a sound, but if you want to make something like a pad with six detuned saw waves, all going through their own filters with their own LFOs, you can do that. 

Took a bit of time to get to grips with how it's all organized, but when it clicks it's really easy to program in a way that's typical of earlier Ensoniq stuff.   Those guys sure knew how to make an interface for a digital synth.  Too bad they sucked at making power supplies (see below).

Soundwise it's cleaner than an ESQ-1 or SQ-80, but it's still pretty grungy for a digital synth.  It's not the machine to buy if you want something that will sound like an analog synth.  It's unashamedly digital.  It's great for pads and glassy/metallic weird sounds that digital synths excel at.  And hey if you want to layer that kind of strangeness with some badass marimbas or slap basses, you'll be in heaven!  wink

There are known and well documented issues with them (a keyboard calibration issue with a simple fix, and power supply heat-related issues that can cause it to crash) so it's a bit of a risk, but I knew this one had the keyboard fix already done.  It has crashed on me a few times already, but that was after having it on for hours on a hot day.  Pointing a fan at the heatsink seems to help.

good choice, i picked up a VFX (no SD) a few months ago. if you want to hear what it can do, listen to late 80's/ early 90's front 242, they used it all over..

thanks for the insights about the VFX SD. i think i'll sustrain my gearlust and leave it be this time.
my D50+PG will have to do for now in that department.

but hey, got me a Novation Bass Station keyboard today. cheap and local buy. planning to use it for liveshows.

monotron duo

A Kawai K1M. Nice for vocal sounding atmosperic pads and stuff smile

http://www.cyborgstudio.com/images/k1m.jpg