Topic: no sound ensoniq esq 1

i got an ensoniq esq 1 that doesnt make any sound (for free).it powers up and says the screen with the OS and then swithces to the one with the presets listed. it seems normal. i tried the factory reset. and it didnt really work. the buttons on the entire thing dont seem responsive.. the screen does the normal thing, but you cant switch the presets, parameters or sliders or anything.. and there is no sound. i opened it an checked all the plugs and all the normal stuff.. unplug and plug all the ribbon cables and stuff.. so my first thought is to open all the buttons and clean them to see if the contact is corroded.. ill do that tonight. but other than that, does anyone have any suggestions? and dont just tell me to do the reset and replace the battery. oh and it has the newest OS too, so the battery shouldnt even matter.. cause when you do the reset you get the factory sounds. the battery is just for memory.

also.. i just remembered.. i unplugged something while it was on and got a message that the soft reset failed. that seemed like a good sign too. it seems the buttons just dont work.

i had an sq 80 before that didnt work and i just replaced the battery and uplugged and plugged in some stuff and it started working.

Re: no sound ensoniq esq 1

what would make the buttons unresponsive besides corrosion? (it seems clean) bad ribbon cable?

if all buttons are unresponsive, corrosion is unlikely, then at least you'd get some response from a few of them. bad ribbon or ribbon contact.. but it could also be further up the chain, i.e. the driver ic could be bad (are the ic's socketed?reseat them), a bad cap in the chain, could also be a bad solder joint somewhere. if you like soldering, resolder the board. it has gotten rid of many problems like this i've had with synths over the years..

yeah.. im gonna do the old take it apart and put it back together.. that usually works.. or you can at least find the problem.

I bought one that, even when de-soldering and re-soldering buttons, it would not register on one or two or them, after some searching found a website that sells synth parts and I ordered the data entry board for like 30$ problem solved
http://syntaur.com/esq.html

yeah boyeee

yeah.. i saw that too.. maybe that is a good idea.

after some poking around.. i got the piano sound to work. and the voume.. but still no buttons or change of anything.. any ideas?

take the battery out to lose the memory? it seems like it wants to do something when i press the buttons.. like some slight blinking or fading on the display.. but nothing happens..

taking the battery out or replacing it is always a good idea. its like a factory reset. can you download the factory presets somewhere? or are they maybe stored in ROM? another thing to look for if none of the buttons are jammed or making contact all the time.. this can precvent the others from working.. but you got sound, thats something!

the battery is still at 3v. but yeah.. i think if i take it apart more and put it back together its gonna work.