Topic: Kien 909

I must realize that the TR-909 prices are beyond what i can scrape together. So what are my alternatives???

The Xbase 09 would be obvious, but from this demo I'm in doubt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIS27dof … re=related

Please advice  big_smile

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Re: Kien 909

I've been an ardent user of the x-base for almost 10 years(!) (time flies, I bought it for less than $450) there was a period where i borrowed a 909 but didn't really do too much of a side by side comparison at the time. As a 909 clone i'd say it's not very good it has too wide of a range of sound that is just off, however as an analog drum machine I enjoy it. The variety of kick drums and snare drums and creative lfo things you can do are fun, and it can sound old schoolish but not directly cloned. I think someone once described the sounds as Anthony Rother-esque and I stand by that all though doing something simple like eq-ing and not maxing out the volume can get some close results.

If you are looking for analog I think it maybe hard to find alternative clones (I remember Basscakes from CBS telling me that he could mod the toms from the 606 to do 909 style bass drums but i opted for the 808 bass and snare mods) , but there are lot of drum machines with 909 samples and such.

What worries me is the timing of the sequencer and  the shuffle. I like basically everyting about the 909 apart from the price tag. The Hats on the jomox seem to sound right in the demos I have heard and kick and snare sound good but the groove often seems stiff an not very, well 909 groove like...

Correct me if im wrong!

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

I have a Jomox x-base09, I think it is ace. However, I don't think it is much like a 909. First off, no Toms (or at least no Toms on mine - I got this on permanent loan, it is a prototype the my got as part of the initial promo) - 2nd, no hihat AND clap AND rimshot at the same time. This both pisses me off and forces me to be creative with the rhythms.

The shuffle is great. The LFO routing is great. The fact the bass drum can become an awesome bassline generator and/or acid machine is great. It's made well (good for touring unlike the 707 which I retired and then sold - plastic + flights + being poor = not good)

the Jomox I have is I would say a different beast, but it is a really great machine. I don't know about the new ones.

I hope this was helpful rather than me rambling

I also have the Xbase 09. It's great in many ways, but it doesn't sound like a 909. Shuffle is good but the OS is horrible stupid and I will replace it with a 909 when I have the cash.

How about the Novation DrumStation? I know it's virtual analog, but it's supposed to be good. Though I really dislike that they only built a rack version sad
But I heard some people simply sequence it with an Electribe ER and like that combination

True it should sound good... But its the combination of the sounds and sequencer i'm interested in... It has a certain groove like the 808 or any other drummachine, and its that magic combo that im hoping to get a cheaper way into... If there is a sequencer that can mimic the groove of the 909 then i guess the Drumstation would be a good alternative..

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

I've got a v2 drumstation, and it has punch and realtime programmability that I haven't found using samples of 808909, also has dinsync for a 303 etc.  if a rack drum module suits your setup, I don't know of anything else that will do so much in the 200-300 USD range.  you have a volume pot and tune for most all of the voices just like a 909.  I've always liked the hyped up sound of jomox kicks as well, and have tried unsuccesfully to land an mbase module for less than 200 USD.  I don't know so much about the groove to be mimic'ed from the 909 sequencer, but mpc's are rock solid, rs7000/rm1x pretty good with cool midi effects and swing that can be adjusted for any of the 16 steps, korg esx also pretty good can adjust the swing and is a bonehead simple/fun way to make a beat with the light-up stepsequencer

yeah boyeee

nothing comes close to a 909 if thats the sound you want. the x-base is a decent drum machine, but its laughable as a 909 clone.
the drumstation is a joke that has the character a bit, but lacks the balls.

i'll tell you a drumstation story. first time i met mick wills, he was using a drumstation for his bassdrums. he had to use the drumstation, a sample from his s-2000 sampler and an other bassdrum (possibly the 808 bassdrum from the drumstation) to get a decent kick sound and still wasn't happy. next time i visited him, i brought my 909. that single bassdrum was infinitaly more powerful than the 3 samples combined.. a few weeks later he had his own 909 and the drumstation has been unemployed since..

if you want a 909, buy a 909. it's a sound investment and you won't regret it..

wouldn't layering 3 samples play hell with the phase/harmonics?
maybe good for a phasey legowelt style kick but not so good for a 909 style kick however, unless the samples were stretched/shortened in a daw or something. gate triggering some sub harmonic frequency to one sample might be a more rewarding approach. i agree though that it will only ever be an imitation without the nuances of the true beast.

so if it's a 909 you want...

Thanks for the input, and the story Ruud  big_smile ... I guess it's time to stop living large and get some cash  mad

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

.. Since I had a 909 in the past and I currently have a DrumStation in my rack, I can definitely confirm Ruud's story.
If you need a simple drum synth, the DrumStation might be a useful addition together with other devices - but if you really
want the sound of the 909 BD (and the other bunch of sounds), well... only the 909 can provide it.
Plus, the feeling of pushing those computer-like buttons with integrated led is an extreme luscious pleasure big_smile

Anyway, since I am not any longer into the sound of the 909, I am fine with my stuff.
I love my 808, I am not going to sell it for any reason, even if I should go completely broke and under a bridge I still
would have it by my side.
It's scratched, pots are noisy, sometimes the fills do not kick in when requested... but it's my 808.
It has been in the most strange places in Italy and survived with just the minor scratches smile

Still on Roland TR's, there is someone here in Switzerland selling a Devilfish 606... for 2000 CHF if I am not wrong.
Anyone interested, I can point you to the ad. It's not on Ebay.

a.

The only thing i need is an 909.... *sigh*

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

14 (edited by plikestechno 2012-07-20 09:10:57)

If you want a 909, just buy one at some point, keep an eye out as prices seem to be all over the place. Even more so than 808s and they seem to be more sought after than 808s right now too.  Don't buy things that are almost like it because it won't do for you and you'll always want one.

I don't like what I paid for Serge and Modcan A and I buy all my stuff used, but it costs what it costs and I wanted some bad enough.

Just buy one, record a complete album with it, get sick of the sound, and then sell it again big_smile

saw on FB that Ed DMX is selling his for  £1290, seems a pretty resaonable price.. and you'll have one with some history too..

Thanks Ruud, will check it out but I gotta find the money first!!!!  roll

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

If you feel like visiting Switzerland you could get this:

http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/musik-und- … 684525090/

I saw it in person tonight, it's not in perfect optical conditions but the buttons (and the holding board behind the panel) are
solid... Plus the battery holder broke and the guy has replaced it with an external thingie, as you can see from the pics.
For the rest, well, it's a 909 smile

Around 1000 euros ATM, auction ending in 17 hours. Was tempted to get it myself when I saw it (ahhh, nostalgie smile, then
I decided to leave it there. The guy is selling it to buy a bicycle, his one got stolen.

A.

19 (edited by jerklin 2012-07-27 18:55:42)

I have the Jomox 999 and a TR-909. I didn't plan on getting the TR-909 but it sort of fell into my lap in a good trade. I expected to have some fun and sell it for a profit. When I got it home and played with the kick drum I immediately understood what people were talking about. It's probably the pinnacle of kick drums for dance music IMO. The Jomox line sounds great, and has more features, a diverse palette, and a lower price, but it's not a 909. So if you want something that will cure your 909 lust look elsewhere. If you want a truly great and unique drum machine get the XBase. Just realize it's not a clone.

To add to your search for alternatives, these modules look cool and I think some of the sequencing options available with eurorack are pretty exciting. No idea how they sound though.
http://www.analoguesolutions.org.uk/con … odules.htm

they sound allright, but the same problem as with the rest: they're not 808 or 909's, even though they have more sound options than the original..

what i don't like about the jomox:the attack of the bass drum(theklik) the noise from the snare grmpff! and what rude says what i do like is that there are a lot of different kinda sounds to get from there i use an airbase with mamsq-16

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

got the money yet? here's http://muziek.marktplaats.nl/drumcomput … 5&fs=1

just saw this on facebreak - http://www.9090project.co.uk/