326 (edited by jerklin 2012-03-19 21:28:20)

Re: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

Anyone service a Juno 60 before?

I have just put a midi kit into mine, replaced a few sliders and the battery but I have a bit of crackle in the output at various volume levels. This has been my experience with most older synths but I'm wondering if it's diagnosable and repairable somehow?

Any tips?

Sure you haven't had the crackle before?
The VCA tends to distort very easily when at full volume, especially when the chorus is on. It's normal.

I've always had the crackle. Nothing to do with the mods, just something I've wanted to address if possible. I usually just adjust the volume until I get a sweet spot if it's normal I'll keep doing that. The volume knob crackles a little bit while adjusting but I've found a replacement so that's up next.

jerklin wrote:

The volume knob crackles a little bit while adjusting

Same here. Seems to be normal too for most 60's. tongue

Sold my xpander and bought an Andromeda thinking it would be more reliable.  Fucking thing has just died on me  roll I ran through the service manual, carried out the diagnostics and it looks like it needs a new BA02 power supply.  I've done a quick search and it looks like a company in America has one but does anyone know of a European source?

there is still an alesis service tech/ center in germany that does andromeda's..

andromeda more reliable than an xpander? you've got to be kidding. its the modern synth i've heard by far the most problems with..

I'm always intrigued by the Andromeda but they seem like such a pain in the ass in the long run. And I've never heard a demo that made me absolutely fall in love with it.

A friend in my city just had his shit its pants as well. He's pretty freaked out right now so I'll tell him it might be this problem.

There's a PDF of the service manual on gearslutz.  It tells you how to run through the diagnostics which should help to isolate the fault.

I sold the xpander as the encoders were getting flakey and even though I spent a lot of time learning how to program it I never really liked the sound that much.  The Andromeda was the same price as the Xpander and after reading the manual and the programming tips PDF that's floating around I was really starting to like it.  The 2 filters give it a good range of tones and although it's got loads of knobs it's as much of a pain to program as the Xpander.

Koova wrote:

although it's got loads of knobs it's as much of a pain to program as the Xpander.

I really want to like the Andromeda but I feel the same way as you every time I play with one.  That interface is overdone for my tastes.  It's like the analog synth equivalent of the Homer Simpson car.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F4bK7ZAp4qo/TIhlHp9guuI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/DbYb_to0bWY/s1600/Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

unicity wrote:
Koova wrote:

although it's got loads of knobs it's as much of a pain to program as the Xpander.

I really want to like the Andromeda but I feel the same way as you every time I play with one.  That interface is overdone for my tastes.  It's like the analog synth equivalent of the Homer Simpson car.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F4bK7ZAp4qo/TIhlHp9guuI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/DbYb_to0bWY/s1600/Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

Haha this really made me laugh

mekonin wrote:
unicity wrote:
Koova wrote:

Haha this really made me laugh

+1.

It'd probably be easier to find a power supply for Homer's car.

Panic over - I just ordered one from Numark/Alesis in the UK and they've told me they're in stock and available for next day delivery.  It all seemed a bit too easy so lets see what arrives before I get too happy.

Fitted it tonight in around 20 minutes and it all works fine  smile

Awesome. Go you!

Does anyboty know what the internal battery is for a CZ-1000, so far my searches have proved fruitless...

342 (edited by mortis lock 2012-08-10 14:20:47)

as far as I know the CZ1000 only uses its big batteries for user memory back up.
when changing batteries you get a few minutes before the patches get wiped(this varies from CZ to CZ).
It will remember patches if the power supply is constantly plugged in without batteries and also seems to give you some time in the event of a power cut before forgetting the patches.Aparently there is a capacitor that gives you this small amount of buffer time.

There is a flipside to not having the internal battery working properly!!! Random cool patches. I have a CZ101 and when you don't plug it in for a long time it comes up with random patches as it mutates the patches you have stored smile Sometimes the results are out of this planet smile The weirdest thing that happens is that values for the parameters go into random characters, not just numbers.  big_smile

sounds fun,I gonna unplug mine for first time in about a year.
see what it does to my CZ ultimate kick drum of doom patch.;)

345 (edited by elsquirrel 2012-10-22 08:26:58)

Just picked up a 707 and the volume slider for the rimshot/cowbell doesn't seem to work. No response at all; the both sounds are constantly at max volume.  Anybody had any experience with this issue?

last night i received TB-303 from a friend (it's a long story).
anyway it doesn't switch on when connected to 9V DC, i think he fried it up. he said it was working but he didn't used it for long time.

should i test it on batteries before take it to the tech guy (who said he doesn't have time for that anyway) ?

Cross-post from another forum about a sad and lonely JX-10 -

I've had a JX-10 sitting in my closet for years. It only half works. So, if the JX-10 is basically two JX-8p's, only one of the JX-8p's is functional. In 'stack' mode, it will work as a 6 voice synth across the length of the keyboard, but the second stacked voice is silent. In 12 voice polyphony mode, only every few keys will work. In split mode, one half of the keyboard is silent, and the other is fine.

This is the second one I've had like this, I returned the first one to the store I bought it from (which was an ordeal, but I digress). I got this one from craigslist and it worked fine when I bought it, but then the issue popped up again later and I just put in the closet. I don't really want it anymore, but it'd be nice to get it fully functioning again before I sell it, or at the very least figure out what's wrong with it.

Obviously only one of the voice boards is functioning, but if I open it up, everything looks normal and I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Anyone have any experience with this, ideas of what to look for or what it would take to get it fixed? I haven't been able to find anything on the web.