Topic: Clock out(s) to DIN sync?

Here's a rudimentary questions for you engineerophiles to laugh at.

Is it possible to solder a cable with 1/4 jack in one end and 5-pin DIN in the other, so you could connect and send clock out / tape sync signal from, say an ESQ1 or Emax II (24 PPQ?) to a Roland DIN-sync drum machine, and would it work?

I wouldn't really care if it would run at totally wrong speed, as long as it would run, and be in sync.

Technology confuses me, so I thought I'd ask the pro's before I have someone solder a useless cable for me and then just use it as a cool belt or something.

Re: Clock out(s) to DIN sync?

Yup, Roland DIN sync is also 24ppq. It takes 5v clock pulses on pin 3:

http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/pix/syncable.gif

Ensoniq should also be sending out TTL-level 5v signals, but I would measure it first with a multimeter just to be safe and make sure you don't blow up your Roland gear.

However, just because they're both 5v and 24ppq doesn't mean you'll necessarily get any kind of sync happening. The problem is the length of the pulse and the symmetry of its edge may not be what the Roland circuitry is expecting.

That is, if the pulse is too long or too short, it may not work at all. Or if the edge of the pulse isn't clean enough.

I remember having the worst time in the world with an Oberheim DX that would not take in any kind of sync, even from sync converters that were made for it. Ended up selling it and buying a DMX instead with midi already built-in.

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

If that doesn't work I recommend the Garfield Nanodoc.  I use it for syncing my MPC-60 to the 808 but it'll do 24ppq sync as well.  It is a very useful little box.

4 (edited by gn 2012-09-06 08:58:20)

@ Sneak: The reason I'm planning this is that my MIDI to DIN-sync converter broke, and I thought I'd get away with spending less money if I just sync it straight to my gear. So yeah, frying the drum machine (a Boss DR-110 with sync mod) is definitely not my aim! I guess I'll have to dig out more info on the Ensoniqs signal, or see if the guy who'll solder it has one of them whatsitcalled-o-meters to measure it with. Thanks for the advice!

@ Jordan: Something like that would be quite useful. Maybe should try to score one when I'm "high on funds" next time.

gn wrote:

@ Sneak: The reason I'm planning this is that my MIDI to DIN-sync converter broke, and I thought I'd get away with spending less money if I just sync it straight to my gear. So yeah, frying the drum machine (a Boss DR-110 with sync mod) is definitely not my aim! I guess I'll have to dig out more info on the Ensoniqs signal, or see if the guy who'll solder it has one of them whatsitcalled-o-meters to measure it with. Thanks for the advice!

@ Jordan: Something like that would be quite useful. Maybe should try to score one when I'm "high on funds" next time.

A managed to score one for 20 bucks on eBay.  They're weird little things not many people are looking for.  I think Garfield made a lot of similar pieces as well that'd do the job.