Topic: Vinyl cutters or press machine?

Hmm, I was investigate a little bit about this. Maybe, but just maybe, will be some cash from some project which will include a buying a vinyl press machine or cutter. Please, if somenone could give some advice or tips, referation what is the best solution considering capacity of vinyl presser that alows a proper result.
THX

Re: Vinyl cutters or press machine?

I mean serious. I have read that some limitted capacity "pressers" costs about 10 thousand euros. Is any have some excperiences with it or, maybe this topics sucks.

i don't ask that you give me a lectures - just some tips and oppinions. Cheers.

Ask lex van Coeverden

Acta est fabula....

well, they are 2 totally different beasts. a cutter just makes acetates, and does that from blank disks. these are actually used to make the mother disks that are used for the actual record pressing. that is done by taking a negative copy of the master disk (made from metal) and pressing it with a lot of heat against a clump of raw vinyl. not really something you can do in your own home..
but thats the professional way. i have heard of plaves that have their own record making machines, but i have no idea if there is a ''friendlier'' alternative that makes actual records, and not acetates that you can throw away after 10 plays..

encode mp3s lal (its free)

rude66 wrote:

well, they are 2 totally different beasts. a cutter just makes acetates, and does that from blank disks. these are actually used to make the mother disks that are used for the actual record pressing. that is done by taking a negative copy of the master disk (made from metal) and pressing it with a lot of heat against a clump of raw vinyl. not really something you can do in your own home..
but thats the professional way. i have heard of plaves that have their own record making machines, but i have no idea if there is a ''friendlier'' alternative that makes actual records, and not acetates that you can throw away after 10 plays..

that's exactly what lex van coeverden (and some other people over the world) makes. directly cutting vinyl records

^ As opposed to the short-lived acetates?

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Vestax make a 'home' vinyl cutter

VRX-2000

i sincerely doubt the quality of those plates

those plates are like acetates: after 20 spins theyre unplayable..

they could be useful as dubplates to be sent to djs as promos, but i think that's kind of pointless nowadays

stop buying them then

bias wrote:

pressing records is pointless nowadays

goddamned

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

14 (edited by captain duran 2008-08-22 08:36:39)

you mean something like this

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/cutter.jpg

more info about prices/gear: here starts with 3200

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

15 (edited by raoul 2008-08-22 09:21:39)

Communicator wrote:

^ As opposed to the short-lived acetates?

yes
don't know how long these last, supposedly they're just like real records? should last a lifetime.

I would leave the idea with those acetates. the post/machine above cuts real vinyl and I think they last longer than any acetate. So greg should focus on machines like this one. May there are more options, but I know there are several companies in Berlin they owe this thing and you can use those empty vinyls, and as much copies you like to press.

I think westbam uses also one of these big_smile

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

THX guys for your tips.
Yes, I 'll try to get some details from your post Captain Duran.
Thanx Rude also. Cheers!
Hmm, I hope will be succesfull project, if we, me and my partnership organisation aproach this money. That would be awsome and a begining of real new label. God, mercy on us!

i'd seriously investigate if those machines cut real, life-time lasting vinyl. what those things do, isn't like the real record making process at all.. if the vinyl is soft enough for a needle to cut it in, its also soft enough for a playing needle to cut it and damage it seriously every time it's played...

greg_yu wrote:

THX guys for your tips.
Thanx Rude also. Cheers!
Hmm, I hope will be succesfull project, if we, me and my partnership organisation aproach this money. That would be awsome and a begining of real new label. God, mercy on us!

If its for releasing records on a label, isn't it cheaper to just press the records at a plant? You can press a lot of records for the money that thing costs. And you have to carefully manage and clean each record that is being cut with those things...a very time consuming thing if you want to make a few hundred records (or even 50 or whatever)...and those clean records you can cut on are also quite expensive I think.

Squadra Smackos wrote:
greg_yu wrote:

THX guys for your tips.
Thanx Rude also. Cheers!

If its for releasing records on a label, isn't it cheaper to just press the records at a plant? You can press a lot of records for the money that thing costs. And you have to carefully manage and clean each record that is being cut with those things...a very time consuming thing if you want to make a few hundred records (or even 50 or whatever)...and those clean records you can cut on are also quite expensive I think.

Yes, Squadra, maybe this my idea is not so good. Well, I just intent to that project to get some "infrastructure" for some future label that will promote regional artists (according to project's conditions). But now, yeah, maybe that money couuld be used for purpose that you noted. THX. It is cheaper to press records on reall factories.
Cheers!

you could use the cutter to make some money, if there are lots of vinyl wannabe kids around. I remember my friends had vestax cutter in chicago and charged 100 dollars to cut one sided and 150 for 2. eurgh

Heheh, I cannot do that . It is non-profit project. Also, it is quite sleazy to put those price. tz tz tz!
Cheers Robro!

but maybe you can get one of those pro machines, provided you have some space.. then you are a real vinyl presser. after all, the guy behind trax records did it too.. and if i remember correct, an american band whose name has escaped me now also pressed their records at home. i don't know how many pressing plants there were over there, but it might very well be that you can get some kind of pro press for nothing or cheap..

@ Herr 66
"and if i remember correct, an american band whose name has escaped me now also pressed their records at home."
-> you probably mean dead moon and their presto disc cutter, or?

http://www.mickwills.com/Pics/PDC.JPG

There is a pretty informative segment on Slices DVD magazine on Vinyl Manufacturing. You should really try and see if you can find it. Vinyl manufacturing is a serious process that requires great skill and money , best left to the big boys.