Re: Should I buy...

Cheers guys!

I've managed to squeeze the price down a bit but the problem is that the guy needs the money now and not next week. For that reason, I'm seeing the deal slipping away.

However I do feel that paying more than 500€ could be a bad bad move if the unit has the original chips inside. Acetone could be the budget solution and a buddy of mine could help with the surgery, but there is always the big question about the long term effects.

JX-3P has been an alternative for a long time. However to get that hands on feel to it I may need the PG-200. Again, the price of the combo would be around what 106's go for - more or less.

I probably should give more attention to JP-8000. I have Poly-800 and D-20 that I feel can sound very Junoish - D-20 on the bass and Poly-800 with the pads. In a way I think I've been blinded by the Junos. I guess even if I had a JP-8000 in my studio, I'd be foolish enough to want a Juno around. Would I feel empty without one? At the moment I think I would.

You were just a damn sequencer
Moving to the beat
Living with a synthesizer
Cold as a repeat

2,077 (edited by plikestechno 2012-10-08 06:03:14)

Probably sacrilege here but how about a Motif XF6 for 1600 CAD locally? It comes with some extra bells, whistles and sets and is in brand new condition. He started at 2k and worked his way down to 1600 for now so I could probably talk him down lower another 100 or 200 for a cash sale. I love the shit out of Yamaha stuff and this is their latest incarnate. With all the messing around I've been doing on the modular it would be great to have something easy to play into and run with it and have things in there for possible performances. And have it around just in case Rihanna calls me out on tour.

Although I think if I just want something sampler-y with rompler sounds why don't I just buy Maschine or Maschine Mikro which is super cheap right now? Or a Kurzweil rack of some sort?

I was thinking about the Kronos as well but this is local and while some people have complained about the Kronos' build quality.

What am I thinking? The answer as always is...more modular. And if I had 1600 why the hell would I buy a workstation with it?

the ELECTRIBE EA-1 for 155 Euros?

a Boss DR-110 for €100? Do I understand correctly that you can't switch patterns on the fly?

i love my dr-110 alot. use it on almost every track i have made in the past years. dr-110 is a really fun little analog drummer. the best clap ever, 606 style hihats (possibility to put CH+OH to get that half open hat). you can change patterns on the fly, you just can't edit them like you can on the 606. the biggest flaw is the absence of syncing it, but acidlab.de has sync mods for that!

crc wrote:

i love my dr-110 alot. use it on almost every track i have made in the past years. dr-110 is a really fun little analog drummer. the best clap ever, 606 style hihats (possibility to put CH+OH to get that half open hat). you can change patterns on the fly, you just can't edit them like you can on the 606. the biggest flaw is the absence of syncing it, but acidlab.de has sync mods for that!

Thanks, ordered it!

It has a trigger out, so it should work with the sequencer of my JX-3P and the arp sync on my Juno-60. (And if I lay down a rhythm track and a simultaneous trigger track on tape I can add several layers of Juno and JX). If that becomes too limiting I'll see about a sync or midi mod.

I dig mine as well.

I've had good results with 110 triggering the arpeggiator of Poly-61, so I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase.

You were just a damn sequencer
Moving to the beat
Living with a synthesizer
Cold as a repeat

I've been thinking of getting an iPad with Genome to use as a live sequencer, but I wonder how tight the midi timing is. Any experiences?

2,085 (edited by score100 2013-01-02 16:46:29)

thinking of getting a boss dr-202 as a replacement for my tr707. Pretty much what I always wanted it seems, anyone tried those?

In my opinion nothing can compare with original vintage machines. If you are looking for something which sounds like TR-707 or SH-101... Buy real 707 or real 101. Of course real SH-101 or 707 is more expensive than Dr-202 but you won't be regret money if you really love this type of sounds and of course it is a great pleasure and fun to have real machines than clones/samples.

But if you are looking for some new and different drum machine maybe you should think about Korg ER-1? It sounds really good and have great ability to program fresh and unique drum sounds.

Signal in / Signal out

hm it's less about the sound, more about the interface. The 707 sounds are great, and its an easy to operate machine  - but I always wanted to have a simple, portable setup containing a sequencer drum machine and a synth. The synth I got with my nord, and the dr 202 could take care of the rest. And while I love the 707 sounds I wouldn't mind that much having something else, which is even slightly tuneable with cutoff, flanger, and reverb that you can record live.

I have my eyes on a DR-202 as well.

should I swap a not used distortion pedel (and add some money) for :
1. Roland RV-100 Spring Reverb Unit

2. Electro Harmonix Bi filter (i have EHX micro synth for guitar, it seems quiet similar but stereo) what do you say?

does anyone has the Microkorg XL? differences between the microkorg?
cheers

the boss dr202 was the most crap unit i ever possesed, seriously...sounds like shit and totally no soul inside.

Electribe ea1 or MC 303?

I'm being offered a Casio CZ-5000 for €150. Is it worth the money and, more importantly, the space?

That's the going rate. I paid that for mine in Canadian dollars years ago. I sold it for the same last year when a CZ-1 for $100 came along. Velocity and aftertouch on the CZ-1 make a difference but it's not worth paying crazy extra money for. Its routing is very limited. The lit backlight is the feature I'm most grateful with the upgrade.

If you're not going to program the heck out of it, just wait for a much smaller cz-101 or just pass. They are a beast in size. The presets are also quite terrible but the brass and bass sound a little better on the CZ-101 because it is noisier. The CZ-5000 has a much smoother sound than the CZ-101.

I love the bass sound on the CZ series. I have a 1000, some guy was selling a CZ-101 with some button errors for $50 around these parts, was thinking of maybe getting but I think I want beer more.

Revok wrote:

I'm being offered a Casio CZ-5000 for €150. Is it worth the money and, more importantly, the space?

If you are looking for some lo-fi digital sounds CZ-5000 is the right choice. CZ synths are also good to programm FX and some other custom stuff. Unfortunately interface is not super easy and CZ requires some patience.

Signal in / Signal out

2,097 (edited by Revok 2013-03-14 10:12:15)

The 101 would be more convenient in terms of size as I already have too little space to connect all my stuff, but it currently goes for €250 in these parts. I guess that's the cuteness factor weighing in.

Is the CZ-5000 really that hard to program? It seems to have a lot of dedicated buttons, can't be much harder than an alpha juno or a DX-21. Anyway, poring over old manuals to figure out some obsolete synth architecture is my idea of a Sunday well spent...

What appeals me about the CZ's is that they seem capable of CheeZy 80's Italo type sounds as well as grittier Detroit stuff.

Seriously! The preset #8 is one of my favorite cheesy bass sounds of all time. Programming it isn't too much fun, but it felt similar to programming a DX-21 (based on my experience). There are some computer programmers for it somewhere that you can connect thru DOS-box but they didn't really make the experience much easier TBH.

Phase Distortion (PD) synthesis in CZ requires some patience - it means that you must spend more time on programming to get interesting results. Some people like experiment with synths for hours but others want quick effects after 5 minutes of work with synthesizer.
If you are in the first group CZ shouldn't be hard to program for you...
So what is your decision smile

Signal in / Signal out

almost got myself a tr 505 for 49 bucks but  someone took it.  didnt wanna put 15 down for layaway since they had to hold onto it for a 30 days case its stolen.  didnt cross my mind someone else can put it on layaway duh.  wasnt meant to be.  green indicator anyone?