Re: MPC1000 JJ OS 2XL is released

hmm i dont know.. i'm the exact opposite i really like step sequencers and i'm not a boombap pad bashing kind of guy.  been thinking about changing it up but i've got too much invested in the mpc.. the JJ os is pretty cool but i sort of wonder about the direction he is heading with the os

Forax wrote:

only some newest version of black ones

Thanks Forax !
Now i see why some black ones are almost double the price of others ...

28 (edited by Sander 2009-02-04 15:03:12)

You could just buy a cheap blue one and if a pad start to become bad, fix it yourself or buy the new pads which also respond better then the orginal ones.

Here's some documentation. It's a huge topic, but this link shows the right part. Also check the next couple of pages:
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php … ;start=120

Here you could buy a new set:
http://www.mpcstuff.com/akai--mpc-1000- … x-upg.html

Forax wrote:

how is the grid edit?  i'm still using OS1 and was kind of underwhelmed with the grid edit.. i guess nothing compares to true x0x style.  the new chord feature looks pretty awesome though

the grid edit in os2xl isn't as good as before! .i don't like it, for instance i'd rather go into grid edit and hit pads 1, 5, 9, 13 to lay down 4 kicks like the previous version, rather than either stepping through with the > buttons or in 'loop edit' mode you have to wait till the counter is 'on' the step you want to place the note and hit the pad relating to the sound. you can still save patterns etc like before

the chord feature seems nice - very configurable, and you can have 64 different variations on the different pads.

the arp, while a novelty for me since i have never had any hardware with this feature, is fairly lame. you can set things like duration, but the fact that there are no different modes (up, down, random etc) mean its ultra-limited. i would imagine that this will be enhanced in later updates cause its quite straightforward

Thanks Sander !
I read the whole thread at work this afternoon. What a drama with those pads !
The upgrade in the video of MPCstuff is the one i definitely want.
That looks like exactly how the pads and the sensors on the 2000XL are.

So it's either the newest model or any dirt cheap older one and get that upgrade.
All the diy solutions don't really sound too solid to me

31 (edited by Sander 2009-02-12 00:57:31)

----------------------------------------------------------
Bug Fixes & Change: OS2XL Ver1.10 10-FEB-2009
----------------------------------------------------------
1. [16LEVEL]

It may not work.
Sample disappears.

2. [PROGRAM]

F2[FILTER]
Filter2 EQL does not work

3. [GRID MIDI]

[ZOOM OUT]
A display breaks.

4. [PROGRAM]

[Sample play]
A01:?xxxxxxxx <--- When a sample does not exist.
A noise can be heard.

5. [PROGRAM]

[MODE+DATA WHEEL]
Although a program is changed, it does not change a display.

6. [MAIN]

F1[ 001-END]
[REC+PLAY}
Only one bar is recorded.

<Change>
Two or more samples can be assigned now to an audio track.
It can convert now in song mode.
In addition, start offset was lost.

[Old]
Bar 001.01.00:Sampl1 <-- Only one is assignable.

[New]
Bar 001: Sampl1 <-- assignment in two or more BAR positions is possible.
Bar 002: Sampl2
Bar 003: Sampl3
Bar 010: Sampl4
Bar 019: Sampl5
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/bug/audio26e.jpg

Refer to the manual for usage. http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2 … otrack.htm

-------------------------------------------
Bug Fix: OS2XL Ver1.11 17-FEB-2009
-------------------------------------------
1. [PROGRAM]

[SIMULT PAD]
"A01<==>A02"
Thus, if simult is assigned to each other, it will not play.

----------------------------------------------
Bug Fixes: OS2XL Ver1.12 03-MAR-2009
1. [TRIM]

[SAMPLE LIST WINDOW]
F1[PURGE]
The sample of Audio track is purged.

2. [MAIN]

[NUMERIC MODE CHANGE]
It does not work on BARS.

3. [GRID MIDI]

[STEP REC MODE]
Time shift dose not work.

4. [AUDIO TRACK]

[RECODING]
The assigned sample disappears.

Bug Fixes: OS2XL Ver1.13 16-MAR-2009
1. [TRIM]

F6[EDIT]
[INSERT SILENCE]
A click noise comes out.

2. [OTHER]

F2[MISC.]
Mute/stop of one-shot sample:IMMEDATE<=== IMMEDATE.
If a track is changed on this condition, sound will stop.

3. [PROGRAM]

F4[PITCH]
[ADSR]
DEPTH: -1,,,-120
Negative depth does not work.

4.[PROGRAM]

When a program is INST, there is a column which cannot input a numeric key.

5.[GRID]

TC=OFF
Event information is not displayed.
Moreover, COPY, PASTE, and DELETE do not work.

Call me when it's done  wink

[joking, i don't even have a 1000]

things are staring to look better with this OS, and the drum programming is back to what it was. no change with the arp though - heres hoping some time in a future update!

Bug Fixes: OS2XL Ver1.14 14-APR-2009
1. [TRIM]

When the name of a sample is changed, the name assigned to the program is not changed.

2. [DRUM GRID]

Time shift does not work at the time of TC=OFF.

3. [GRID]

F2[COPY]+[BAR_R]
Region of a copy is strange.

4. [DRUM GRID]

[SHIFT]+{BAR_R]  [SHIFT]+[BAR_L]
A screen breaks.

5.[MASTER TEMPO]

It does not memorize.

piss-poor update considering its taken a month

He might have more to do.

quite true. moments of jenious can be sporadic.

41 (edited by Sander 2009-06-18 12:04:41)

Bug Fixes: OS2XL Ver1.15 12-JUN-2009
Notes: If Input thru is turned ON, when a strange character will be displayed on the value of a parameter (or it may freeze)
It will be repaired if a power supply is switched on pressing the ERASE key.

1. [DRUM GRID]

F2[COPY]+[BAR >]
It does not work.

2. Mono sample will not crossfaded in playback.

3. [AUDIO TRACK]

[PAD LOCATE]
It does not memorize.
This value is memorized by the sequence.

4. [PROGRAM]

Behavior of cursor is strange when changing a track.

5.[GRID]

[TIME SHIFT]
After moving by [SHIFT]+[BAR<>] Strange, when Time Shift is performed.

<Addition>
1. Change of a sequence can be performed if a DATA wheel is turned pressing a pad. (It cannot do during recording and playback)

2. [DRUM PROGRAM]

[SIMULT PAD]( F5[LFO:MUTE] )
The mode which does not record simult PAD was added.
SIMULT1: simult PAD is recorded.
SIMULT2: simult PAD is not recorded. (In the case of SIMULT2, Q-Link works only to the pad of a master.)
Refer to manual. (http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/gpe_mute.htm)

<Change>
Work of PAD at the time of start end point adjustment of TRIM was changed as follows.

PAD9-PAD12 work, as shown in the following figure.
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/bug/trim42e.jpg

If PAD1-PAD4 is hit, a sample will be plays by NOTE ON. (St<-->End  note on play)
If PAD5-PAD8 is hit, a sample will be plays by ONE SHOT. (St<-->End  one shot play)
Moreover, a start or an end point can be adjusted, carrying out audition, if a DATA wheel is turned
pressing a pad (PAD1-PAD4 and PAD9-PAD12).
If PAD1, PAD2, PAD5, PAD6, PAD9, and PAD10 are pressed, cursor will move to St field.
If PAD3, PAD4, PAD7, PAD8, PAD11, and PAD12 are pressed, cursor will move to End field.
If PAD9-PAD12 and PAD14-PAD16 are pressed, the waveform of a play portion will blink.
It works similarly on the screen of F5 (CHOP).

In the case of Non-Destructive Chop ON
When cursor is in the End field, the same play as above figure PAD11 is carried out.

i'm curious about the fix which stops the hard disk spinning when not in use. i'm having issues with high freq. whine on independant outs. some folk recommend replacing the HD but if the XL fix works I'll go ahead with that.

never heard of that issue. ive got a HD in my 2500 but it only spins when its being accessed for reading/writing, not at any other time

do you get high frequency digital noise from output 1 on high gain? i've seen it mentioned in relation to the 5000 but not the 2500. i'm using the 2500 also. and it's feature #25 of the new JJOSXL so it must have some relevance. but i can't find much online evidence to suggest this is why it was added.

45 (edited by ronin 2009-06-18 23:23:04)

eroRr (delete)

a few OS updates this week, and it sees the return of x0x style sequencing - yas. smile

wonder if JJ is back on the MPC track after concentrating on the PC sequencer. i'd love to see the MPC become the hardware sequencer that potentially it could be

47 (edited by Sander 2010-04-06 14:51:05)

Every os had some or one updates last month. Even just last week. Also the free one.
And even in April a new update is there.

I got a questions to JJ OS users. I got the free JJ OS 3.09, there is one thing I am having a problem with. When I play a saved sequence 1 do some mutes/unmutes, go to next sequence 2 and then return back to 1, it remembers the track mutes I committed just before, and not the mutes that were saved for this sequence. This really makes the mutes unusable for live playing.

My question is - is this problem somehow overcome in any of later/paid versions on JJ OS?

Greetings Robots for Robots forum!

This is my first post... didn't know this forum existed until recently.  Thanks for having me!  Respect to all the amazing artists here.

As many of you are people I would want to ask the most anyway re: tech questions... very happy to have the ability.

Perhaps Sander or someone covered it in this conversation, which is old I see... so excuse rehashing it if I missed it whilst skimming:
Question -
SPECIFICALLY ON THE MOST UP TO DATE JJOSXL for MPC1000 - I've heard of a bug regarding portomento/slide function when you play two of the same notes in succession.  You essentially "can't" as the first not remains latched even if it has been released.  Thus the subsequent same note is not heard. 

Here is the discussion in the MPC forums: http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php … p;t=164447

I am considering trading something for a "maxed out" 1000 with JJXL for LIVE PURPOSES only, mainly sequencing other outboard gear... but the supposed "portomento/slide" bug may be a deal breaker sad

Any insight from seasoned users.  Is it true... no fix for bug?  Does this apply to just sampled sounds on the 1000 or also to midi linked external gear also?

THANK YOU.  Any help is greatly appreciated!