1 (edited by SirStephen 2013-12-22 09:03:16)

Topic: Must Have Modules? (Eurorack)

Surely there are related discussions on this forum... but recent developments and newly available modules have led me to a new world of indecision.  I DON'T want my second system to be "conventional"... having sold my first for that reason (well, and the offer/selling price was kinda ridiculous). big_smile

So I'll pose just a couple of really general/relatively simple questions... perhaps some recommends will lead to a new favorite! 
My budget isn't so much 'small', but cost is definitely an important concern... so anything with great cost/value is always nice, of course.

If you were building a new 8-16 space Eurorack setup, for all the modular freaks and robots out there, what modules are the most essential/must haves to you... or new Favorites?  The 'crazier' the better and any suggestion is most welcome!

These are a few I'd like to check out and/or have had good experience with.  Using a computer to control modular system seems a bit, err, 'anti-climactic maybe.? But MANY people swear by Silent Way with the ES-3, so any thoughts on this would be much appreciated as I've never tried it. 

- ES-3 and Silent Way
- 2 x Q106 Oscillators
- STG Post Lawsuit Filter
- 2 x Q109 Envelope Generator

A nice 'sounding' basic setup - but maybe a little to plain for what I'm hoping for.?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be great as there is really no place to try anything where I live. YouTube videos are not that helpful for planning - to me at least.

Also recently acquired a Moog Little Phatty... any experiences/secrets or tips on advantages/issues using the CV OUT Mod to integrate the Moog into a modular setup would be excellent.

Cheers!

Re: Must Have Modules? (Eurorack)

If you've already got the Little Phatty then you've got your bread and butter conventional "East Coast" analogue synth stuff covered.  Why not go for a Makenoise DPO, Optomix, Maths, & Wogglebug and possibly a Rene for sequencing.  Lots of "West Coast" weird FM/LPG sounds there that you'd never come across with a standard monosynth.  It's not a cheap solution but there's more than enough there to keep you busy for a very long time.

Where are you based?

3 (edited by sneakthief 2013-12-24 10:56:25)

Why ask about Eurorack then mention .COM Moog-sized modules, ie. Q106 & Q109?

Anyhow, I've been building since before the whole modular explosion and there's only one module that's really tempted me because of its flexibility and the amazing sounds that come out of it:

Mutable Instruments Braids. Expensive but a huge bang for the buck.

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

4 (edited by SirStephen 2014-01-03 04:48:08)

sneakthief:  haha, yeah that was a typo/mistake with the .com modules for a eurorack, of course.  I have had good, although rather brief, experiences with the q106 & q109 - suppose I just wished they were eurorack. my mistake.  will look into MI's Braids... huge bang for buck is  exactly what I need. thank you! as I have listened to some of your tracks for many years, I really appreciate the  tip!

Koova: indeed, that does seem like a sweet combination! more "westcoast" def makes more sense considering my other gear and needs.  The DPO was on my shortlist already - seems now like it may be the right choice.  The Rene looks nice too... but maybe a bit "dense" for my taste in a sequencer.   might be worth having  just to pair with the DPO.  all of the Make Noise units seem excellent (having that 'Buchla sound' would be amazing) so will be taking a closer look at each.  big thanks!!  And I live in New Orleans wink

I'll second Sneakthief and say that the Braids by Mutable Instruments is an amazing module, wavetables, vowel synthesis, FM, all in one module.  Change the trigger input to WOMP mode and it comes alive.

Have you tried posting on the Muffwiggler Forum to see if there are any modular users in New Orleans who would be willing to give you a demo?  It's a big initial investment as you'll have to buy a case with a power supply and the huge amount of modules to choose form can be a bit overwhelming.

6 (edited by SirStephen 2014-01-14 09:28:20)

Koova:  Thank you for the tips!  Two endorsements for Braids, hmmm, that thing does seem like a beast! With all of those specs  the possibilities seem pretty endless.  Versatility is a major factor as my first system started feeling limited rather fast. 
If it has "amazing sounds" and so many options "in one module", I don't suspect to be disappointed or become bored with it. But  you are right, it would be MUCH better to try before I buy.  The modular users in New Orleans that I know personally have pretty traditional setups and almost NONE of the newer options.  Very "East Coast" down South...

But no, I have not tried to find new people in New Orleans via Muffwiggler... excellent tip I should have already tried.   Indeed, it is incredibly overwhelming to plan, not to mention commit without being able to check em out first.  No desire to to start spending  $$ on whimsy... hopefully I can find a couple of builders within driving distance or just wait until I make a trip north.  Actually long overdue for a visit to NYC anyway...

Thanks again!