1 (edited by ZeHa 2014-07-16 19:43:24)

Topic: old gear vs. new gear - thoughts

Probably it's the fact that I am just seeing I-f tweaking the new Roland AIRA stuff on IFM's website, which got me thinking once again about the topic "old vs. new gear"...

I currently have some gear, most of that is from the 90s, so it's not quite vintage but not really modern either - it's mainly VA stuff.
My main unit for sequencing and drumming is my MPC2000XL, which I like of course, but every now and then it really bothers me that I have to use diskettes and an external MO drive, and I thought a few times of upgrading the machine with some newer drive like an internal CF card reader, but somehow I also want to keep the disk drive inside, because it's more "oldschool" wink
But diskettes are slow, have little space, sometimes can be unreliable as well (I don't know if it was the disks I used or the diskette drive, but does it matter...)

So a few times already I thought about upgrading to an MPC2500 or maybe even an MPC1000 (more compact -> better for live usage), they are not oldschool, but they have CF readers inside, they have FX boards and extra outputs inside, etc etc. If I would have to replace my MPC2000XL one day, because it breaks down, or let's say I'd have to replace it quickly for a live situation, I would have to find one maybe with the same configuration as I have (fully expanded with extra outputs and FX board etc) - with those newer units, that's not so hard to do, because there are less possible variations.

Also when talking about AIRAs - I have no 808, but wouldn't it make more sense to simply buy the AIRA nowadays, as you get MIDI, you get smaller form factor, probably more reliability (?) and you can replace it more easily just in case.

So in the end, all I want to know is your feelings about that stuff. Yes, old gear is cool and oldschool, and it has sometimes a better sound (even those digital MPCs, at least some people say so wink ), but is it worth to stick to it, especially for live usage, when modern stuff simply does the job better?

Not sure if I really expect a simple answere here... maybe we can just chat a little bit about the pros and cons wink in the end everyone has to decide for himself... maybe someone wants to share his experiences? wink

Re: old gear vs. new gear - thoughts

I havent worked with the Aira stuff, but I guess the biggest difference wil be in processing the sounds with effects or even distorting it.. Heared a demo from a friend distorting the TR8 and it sounded bad imo.. but I guess it will ne a nice and cheap 808 alternative if you like clean sounds..

ZeHa wrote:

Probably it's the fact that I am just seeing I-f tweaking the new Roland AIRA stuff on IFM's website, which got me thinking once again about the topic "old vs. new gear"...

I currently have some gear, most of that is from the 90s, so it's not quite vintage but not really modern either - it's mainly VA stuff.
My main unit for sequencing and drumming is my MPC2000XL, which I like of course, but every now and then it really bothers me that I have to use diskettes and an external MO drive, and I thought a few times of upgrading the machine with some newer drive like an internal CF card reader, but somehow I also want to keep the disk drive inside, because it's more "oldschool" wink
But diskettes are slow, have little space, sometimes can be unreliable as well (I don't know if it was the disks I used or the diskette drive, but does it matter...)

So a few times already I thought about upgrading to an MPC2500 or maybe even an MPC1000 (more compact -> better for live usage), they are not oldschool, but they have CF readers inside, they have FX boards and extra outputs inside, etc etc. If I would have to replace my MPC2000XL one day, because it breaks down, or let's say I'd have to replace it quickly for a live situation, I would have to find one maybe with the same configuration as I have (fully expanded with extra outputs and FX board etc) - with those newer units, that's not so hard to do, because there are less possible variations.

Also when talking about AIRAs - I have no 808, but wouldn't it make more sense to simply buy the AIRA nowadays, as you get MIDI, you get smaller form factor, probably more reliability (?) and you can replace it more easily just in case.

So in the end, all I want to know is your feelings about that stuff. Yes, old gear is cool and oldschool, and it has sometimes a better sound (even those digital MPCs, at least some people say so wink ), but is it worth to stick to it, especially for live usage, when modern stuff simply does the job better?

Not sure if I really expect a simple answere here... maybe we can just chat a little bit about the pros and cons wink in the end everyone has to decide for himself... maybe someone wants to share his experiences? wink

TB or not TB

pretty much everything I buy now is vintage digital or romplers or has to be super cheap. I got the TR8 though, and it's awesome. I'm not really precious about gear I guess as I mostly make weird sounds on them and then sample it.

the last few days I've been preparing for a show (which is tomorrow) and I'm running the TR8 the MPC and a Microkorg, with the MPC as the brain and the TR8 as the clock. None of that is analog, none of the FX I'm using are analog. They are simple, replaceable and small.

A friend told me why he stopped playing live "I can't see the point of taking 10,000 euros worth of gear for a show where I'm gonna make 300 anymore"

Wise words.

^ valid quote. I think the aira stuff just looks horrible (tho my friend's tr-8) sounds nice, and feels pretty good. I just couldn't stand to see it in my room everyday. wink

I really like the korg volca series, for their cheapness, portability (VHS tape sized drum machine!!!), and instant fun.

It's cool that a huge amount of affordable gear is becoming available i'm interested to see what new music gets made with it.

Maybe it's also because now everyone is switching to Macbooks or Launchpads or similar stuff, that a newer MPC model suddenly doesn't feel so "new" anymore wink

In my opinion making music is not about gear - it's about ideas and passion. If you have good ideas and taste you don't need studio full of analog classics or nowadays stuff. You can do great tracks with only one simple synth - no matter old or new.

Signal in / Signal out