Topic: Boiler Room

So whats this all about then?

https://boilerroom.tv/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiler_Roo … c_project)

Weird voyeurism?....watching dj's twiddle mixers, and crowds shuffle about whilst look at their iphones what passes for entertainment these days?   

The huge behemoth that is the boiler room sure is a massive promotional tool and wields huge influence in the scene, i mean mick will & I-G got a whole new fancub bynow.

I just though a dancing with yer mates in a club was a retreat and a sanctuary away from the world...now everyones watching....

Let's get Dumb

Re: Boiler Room

I-F played it the other week and that rocked. I like watching the dancers too, that's if they're any good and not just stood around being cool. Boiler Room does seem to get plenty of respectable bookings.

It's pretty amazing how much power it has. I'm good friend's with that Anklepants dude and he went from underground freak to getting pretty great bookings (and a shit load of online abuse from people on the flipside) overnight! I haven't chatted with Deepa Lazercat about her show yet but I think good things have come from it.

So yeah, I mean it's about the music, right? and as long as the music is good and the people have talent I think it's awesome.

Love/Hate better than ambivalence eh big_smile
I mean your man Anklepants, there is a performance to watch...Otherwise it's just, Dj's pulling cum-faces as they finger a mixer, and besides in my mind when i hear a mix the party is always way more wild & swinging. I just can't bringing myself to watch other folks dreadful dancing, it feels wrong.

I think i prefer to leave more to my imagination, ...

Maiovvi wrote:

It's pretty amazing how much power it has.

Yeah exactly, its huge....overlord of dance music,

Let's get Dumb

I normally just hit play on youtube and then carry on with admin, I guess for me it's like mixes on soundcloud, unless I want to see the "show"

I mean, look at Danny's one:
[youtube]bH0C4zWfKhs[/youtube]

There's almost no one there? and as much as I like a lot of his records, I'm not going to sit there watching him drink red stripe by himself, I'm not THAT much of a sadist wink

To be honest, apart from some very good dj's appearing on screen for a mix worth listening (not watching - I prefer to watch the dj playing music in a club for a few minutes, ONLY if he plays vinyl - just for the sake of the atmosphere), boiler room, the way I see it, is one more part of the superficial, nonsensical some times, usually under the medium in taste and expression music "industry" of the decade we live in. I may sound old fashioned too and to I certain extend I am.

7 (edited by Scarface 2014-08-04 23:42:03)

Watching/listening to your favorite DJ's spin live in the comfort of your own home without attending the party has something to it. Doesn't this (beside doing publicity) also reduce the sales of the tickets I wonder...

"Are you loving?"

i agree ^  some people will like it some people wont.  its a non issue.  now if the complaint is regarding privacy/ voyeurism on da internet  welcome to the brave new world.  i  recently found out my lady friend took about a dozen pics of me without me even noticing.  neutral   the website shows how willing people are to embrace this new normal  including your favorite "underground" djs

Think you're right, that is what makes me uncomfortable about the whole thing....as a society is everyone happy to have cameras everywhere? Im not....that club Berhgain has a strict no camera's & photos policy, maybe they have something there.

Let's get Dumb

DumbBot wrote:

it's just, Dj's pulling cum-faces as they finger a mixer

Haha..thats me...now.

Haven't watched one in full yet.

Are there any decent ones worth watching that are against the whole  '' the crowd are meandering, boring cunts '' affair, which has become the associative YT comment du jour?

...where the music is decent, I haste.

[youtube]Ww9VtKqprUY[/youtube]

got about 15 minutes in before I had to do a little work. This is for people who didn't get to go to the Sausage Festival (but the music seems pretty good, I like the modular vs DJ setup thing, works well I think)

watching?..no, that's was kinda my point. Listen by all means...download them for the car or smth. I like the Vatican Shadow guy thrashing about..still dull to watch though.

Mick Will & I-G session are up also.,

[youtube]v39DQbJBWKQ[/youtube]

Let's get Dumb

i kinda liked the session Conforce did. but i couldn't stand watching any of it. just looking at the crowd for a few made me cringe. instantly reminded me why i don't go out anymore.

admitted, it's the only one i tried so far..

bloy wrote:

boiler room, the way I see it, is one more part of the superficial, nonsensical some times, usually under the medium in taste and expression music "industry" of the decade we live in. I may sound old fashioned too and to a certain extend I am.

very much agree here.

14 (edited by Basic Aly 2014-08-19 18:51:53)

DumbBot wrote:

[youtube]v39DQbJBWKQ[/youtube]

Visually dull as..he's clearly coming up...and no one else is.

Not BR, but always liked that Technasia @ Wire clip.  Decent audience having it...clearly not on the same scale but ye get the idea..BR anywhere with an audience vibe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnjP-YwroDE

Knowing what I know about this guy, I doubt he was coming up, granted I've only seen him live as Prurient, but it's similarly (if not more) animated. I think he's just an animated guy.

This one is nice only to watch the audience slowly getting won over. Cool boys succumbing to thee voodooooooo
[youtube]8vXShxrBxoY[/youtube]

If you can understand German or if online-translaters got any better, I recommend reading this: Link

A good article about initial good intentions of the BoilerRomm project and its influence on recent DJ culture; the evolution of the DJ from supporting actor to superstar; and so on.

For example, what I didn't know: Mostly those parties take place in the middle of the week betwenn 8pm and 12pm. That unusual time slot might explain the sometimes missing "club feeling" one can see in the audience's faces. This was intended to be a place for concentrated listening instead of dancing, in order to encourage the artists to engage in creativity instead of functionality.
Well, but I guess this went quite wrong, as it is now a place to promote yourself as an artist to the large crowd, leading to dull sets, no experiments, no risk.

Maiovvi wrote:

[youtube]Ww9VtKqprUY[/youtube]

got about 15 minutes in before I had to do a little work. This is for people who didn't get to go to the Sausage Festival (but the music seems pretty good, I like the modular vs DJ setup thing, works well I think)

BURZUM shirt? nah ...

i hate soccer

it's not a burzum shirt, a friend of mine designed it. The B is from Bambo, it has Bambi on it. wink

sorry for the doublepost guys, but I just had to recommend the 90's boiler room here as well...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WzBbsrRkQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIU0cy6L1I[/youtube]

[00:15] Shadow - Let's Make It Up
[03:30] Sammy Barbot - New Mexico  (Lovefinger's Barrio Edit)
[06:20] Udell - Won't You Try
[09:40] Kiki Gyan - Disco Dancer
[13:00] Javaroo - Breakin In'
[16:20] House Of Doors - Burmstar (Twin Mix)
[18:50] Raw Elements - Lost In Time
[21:50] Sheryl Lee Ralph - In The Evening
[25:45] Gavin Russom - The Telstar File
[29:20] Mappa Mundi - Sexafari
[31:30] Errorsmith & Mark Fell - Cuica Digitales
[34:25] Kindred Spirit - Put Your Spirit Up
[38:50] Mac Gregor - Nan Ye Li Kan
[42:40] Lyman Woodard - Theme in Search of a Sportspectacular
[47:20] Estiban - Come To Me
[51:20] Jimmy Smith - Can't Hide Love
[54:45] Odessey 1 - Last Night
[57:30] Chiwoniso - Zvichapera

https://boilerroom.tv/recording/robert-henke/#/video

This is amazing, although you probably want to see it in an auditorium to get the true impact of those lasers and a meaty sound system...still, turn the lights off, wack it on fullscreen and i think you'll get a fair impression.

Let's get Dumb

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIAu9ehhY8[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVbq7Zy868