1 (edited by SirStephen 2014-08-04 11:01:40)

Topic: KIWI-3p (JX-3P on steroids!) - SHOULD I BUY IT? IS MOD WORTH XTRA $?

So I found a guy who is selling a PRISTINE JX-3P... but only after he installs the KIWI cpu upgrade which seems to make it closer to a Juno 106 (even the mighty Jupiter8) as far as added functionality.

I already had the JX-3P on a (relatively long) short list of future toys... I need to add one more good analog poly at least.

In short, he wants $700 for the upgraded synth which makes to mod cost nearly equal to the going rate for a stock 3p - which are just beautiful synths in this condition.  However, does the added capabilities to synth by the equally priced Kiwi Mod justify  the hike in price from a regular 3P.  I know it has the DCOs, not VCOs, but does that really make a substantial difference?  My Juno is the "biggest" sounding synth I have maybe... def if modular mono isn't considered.

I'm leaning towards yes... but was already torn between a Korg (monopoly/polysix) and most likely, Prophet 08' module for the current analog poly hole in my cockpit.   LOVE my Juno6 w Kenton Midi so much!!  The idea of a fully midi capable version with a 'close enough' sound and totally new sound options is so tempting.  I know my other options are different beasts... but that was my plan until this rarity popped up... rare for something on  Craigslist in the South, US.

Any thoughts on JX-3P... the KIWI mod, or the other synths in the running.  This is a big decision as I don't really want to take up space with more keyboard synths... so wanted maybe a little outside opinion/expertise etc.

Re: KIWI-3p (JX-3P on steroids!) - SHOULD I BUY IT? IS MOD WORTH XTRA $?

Don't know about the mod, but I have a JX-8P and the sound is very nice, and it also has DCOs. Actually I thought the Juno also has DCOs, so I wouldn't worry about that if you like the Juno sound.

Thanks ZeHa... yes the Juno6 has DCOs, that's why I really wasn't all that concerned because it sounds massive.... so I got my JX-3p/KIWI-3p. cool

Wow, it sounds and looks GREAT!! Other than the editing being a bit of a chore at first (PGs don't work on the mod extras so you have to use the software editor) but this thing is proving to be way more versatile than I expected. 

Have not had much time to get a feel for all of the ins/outs quite yet, nor assign knobs on my BCR-2000 controller... really hoping the BCR works fine, some people have apparently had issues.  I don't want pay for the Kiwi Patch Editor at all... and confess to preferring knobs greatly over menu diving.

Still, 200% happy with decision ... it has all the things expected.... like the perfect/unique sounding strings ... and seemingly so much more with the mod.  Studio is crowded but my GF worked out a brilliant way to fit everything without too much clutter...

Now just facing the fact that I need to pay a pro tech to fix my Teac x1000 (can't ID the source of excessive noise) and I'll be back at full speed.... well 7.5ips anyway wink

-

ZeHa wrote:

Don't know about the mod, but I have a JX-8P and the sound is very nice, and it also has DCOs. Actually I thought the Juno also has DCOs, so I wouldn't worry about that if you like the Juno sound.

[youtube]wSxXihj1SKU[/youtube]

I meant to post this w/r/t the Jx-3P. Glad you got it. B)

5 (edited by SirStephen 2014-08-13 08:53:35)

Bankie Phones wrote:

[youtube]wSxXihj1SKU[/youtube]

I meant to post this w/r/t the Jx-3P. Glad you got it. B)

That video link is amazing - THANKS!

Can't believe I'd never seen this movie... even more unbelievable to me that it is pretty damn good - classic!

Gotta change my Facebook...

The movie scene has me inspired!  New job has restricted ability to working on 'personal tracks' a bit less... still, of course, had to record the jx3p (a couple of basic presets w/ some minor tweaks) on a tune and it sounds really nice/distinctive. More clean than Juno6 but in a way I had hoped.
smile

I considered that expansion on my JX3P but I decided to apply only the MIDI expansion kit which improved a lot my production technique and I strongly suggest it.

V.i.t.r.i.o.l.