Topic: What would cause the bottom to fall out of the vintage market?

Just musing on what makes something hold it's value, when it's actual functional value is not the reason for it's purchase.

Case in point, I've owned 2 Oberheim DX and 2 SCI Drumtraks in the last few years, and although expensive, thought about £300 was reasonable for those models. This was at a time when LinnDrum was about £700-800.

Now I see those units going for £700-900 a pop, and the LinnDrum clocking in at minimum £1200-1500.

Although it's incredibly expensive, were you to buy this legendary unit, provided you want to use it, you would also need to be confident that it would hold any resale value.

What stops that happening? Can you envisage a time when suddenly nobody wants to pay that money, and the bubble bursts?

Re: What would cause the bottom to fall out of the vintage market?

Remakes. My Korg MS-20 was worth a lot more before they started doing reissues.

i still think the ms20s will go back sooner or later

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

The good folks at fender and gibson have been making relic and customshop reisues of their old models for years and you can still sell a les paul goldtop from 59 for close to 30000€. Sure the lesser models might come down a bit again over the years but i dont see a big drop.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

The most popular things will keep rising as there will always be a market for it. Many have stagnated or dropped though. I remember a time when a OBXa and Jupiter 8 sold for the same price...not so much anymore.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/02/28/the-1 … n-music/2/

this is pretty interesting to look at from the perspective of a "vintage" market, as it has prices. It's interesting to see which have gone up dramatically (CS80) and which have fallen just as dramatically (DX7).

I was talking with a friend who is doing quite well doing synth soundtracks and he said he's sworn off new synths entirely because he feels the components they use these days (especially the outputs) don't sound nearly as good.  Now I don't know if what he said is true, but it's one way which I guess the prices hold.

I would say there is a noticeable difference between my older synths and the newer ones, but I wouldn't say it's bad (I have a Waldorf Rocket sitting here with me and I totally love it, it's clean as fuck). It will be interesting to see what happens to some of the newer things released now in 20 years.