Topic: Where did everybody go?

Hello fellow Robots

Today this forum is pretty much dead. at least the the General Hardware section. So far I think there have not been 20 posts this year.

I was watching (and still am) watching all the shows of the Intergalactic FM Streaming Festival.
I saw shows of  Computerdisco, Mule Driver, Mark du Mosch, Baz Reznik, Smackos, BMX to name a few.
I enjoyed a lot seeing you guy play with your machines. The ones you talked about here so much. I followed your discussions and learned so much about synthesizers.

so where did you move to. Do you know already everything about your gear? Do you learn all from the dedicated youtube channels or did you move to other forums? At least I know now, that you still twist the knobs and make music.

So I do not know, whether you still read this. Want you to know. I enjoyed to exchange nerdy details with you, I kinda miss the exchange with you Robots.

Re: Where did everybody go?

Hey, still here...I want to build a 104 hp drum rack...having one basimilus iteritas alter and the bitbox micro as sources...clock sync by Pamela's New Workout.

I'm still here and I know 10x more than back in the day when I started posting here and buying my first synthesizer.  big_smile

I am also still here although not so active. The era of forums has been over for a while now as Facebookgroups apparently took over. I never enjoyed Facebook groups, as to me the structure of a forum makes much more sense to find relevant information.
I do sense since last year that people find their way to forums again a bit as people lose interest in Facebook.
I also think in regards of Gear and msic production there are still some good places to find information and/or share ideas. In the Netherlands we have www.synthforum.nl which is great. Many Dutch (forme) robots are on there aswell.Then you have www.muffwiggler.com which is great for modular info. Ofcourse there's also gearslutz.com but that can be kinda toxic place sometimes with know-it-alls swinging their dick with how everything is inferior to their $100.000.- tracking chain. I also like www.soundonsound.com for reviews and studio/recording info. Personally I check a lot of Youtube video's about music production and gear reviews.

Expert Knob Twiddlers on watmm is the only thing I can think of that comes close to what it was like here. Obviously a different music taste based around warp/rephlex. But the love for underground music and thinking more experimental and fun about music gear is definitely there.
https://forum.watmm.com/forum/5-ekt-general-discussion/

I prefered this forum because it had soul and vibrance to the whole scene. Other forums are sooo technical and gear oriented most of the time. They talk just specs and technical shit and in the end, no one throws anything out....the actual result ( even a fart track ) would be good. They are soo boring.

Let's bring this place back to life!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9EVEHtqrY[/youtube]

fantomas wrote:

I prefered this forum because it had soul and vibrance to the whole scene. Other forums are sooo technical and gear oriented most of the time. They talk just specs and technical shit and in the end, no one throws anything out....the actual result ( even a fart track ) would be good. They are soo boring.

Hear, hear!
Definitely miss the old forum days. Now people are scattered over dozens of platforms.

10 (edited by baz 2021-02-19 10:24:44)

yeah miss it too but I'm also guilty of only loggin in about once a week tops. This has also to do with the fact that there is not much activity going on of course.
Facebook sucks, I only use the groups to check for work assignments (audio / video related) but somehow you always get sucked in a spiral of crap at least for a few minutes every time you check.
I think it has to do with a shorter and shorter attention span for everybody (we went from forum to facebook to instagram to snapchat or whatever that is...).

ps, it also doesn't help that every time I type a long message I'm already logged out before I can post it and I never seem to be logged in when I check the forum. Also it is not very mobile friendly and since I don't sit behind a computer 24/7 anymore like in the old days.... wink

(and thanks Cosmo for checking the mixes still!)

I guess we are all just old men yelling at clouds now big_smile

Technicolor wrote:

I guess we are all just old men yelling at clouds now big_smile

[x] confirmed

13 (edited by baz 2021-02-25 10:30:41)

“The past used to be better” bla bla
True here. I realized that I started playing disco and acid begin 90ties and always felled that I really missed the high days (80ties) but recently I realize that that has been more than 27 years ago that I was bummed by missing the 10 years before I started to collect and play records.  tongue

Every time i visit r4r there's like 20 something sneaky guests ninjas reading the forum but not posting wink