Topic: The end for The End

Legendary London clubbing institution The End will close its doors in January 2009.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/news/2008/the-end-closing.jpg

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=9625

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

Re: The end for The End

nomen est omen

i hear you

been there once, was impressed by the set up of the soundsystem and djbooth, club looked like two metro tubes next to each other with a wall of speakers in all 4 ends, dj booth was set up inbetween the tubes... ehm well sort of, my imagination might play a part in this, long time ago.... smile

anyway, darren emerson played and it was quite boring

4 (edited by disco train 2008-09-05 07:17:33)

old and new sound system is/was thunderridge.

I played there  2 weeks ago or something , it was a pretty ok club I thought it would be a lot bigger but it was quite small and this other DJ played Armando slow that was pretty good...but the soundsystem wasn't that good maybe they already sold the PA

Been there a few times. really dont like the vibe of the place. not really all that bothered its closing its doors.

Who invites me to the last day, just need sleeping place and beer

Europa has burned, and will burn again

had many great times there, especially the lost/burundi nights in the 90's, saw a lot of detroit heroes destroy the place. i liked the fact that the dj booth was in amongst the crowd. they must have sold/changed the sound system because it use to be immense. for years though its not been the place it was.

one fond memory was derrick may playing e2e4 by manuel gottsching and another was stacey pullen droping get the balance right by depeche mode, this now wouldn't be a such a big deal but in 1996 it sure was, you just didn't hear records like that in clubs.

sweet memories.

auton love wrote:

had many great times there, especially the lost/burundi nights in the 90's, saw a lot of detroit heroes destroy the place. i liked the fact that the dj booth was in amongst the crowd. they must have sold/changed the sound system because it use to be immense. for years though its not been the place it was.

one fond memory was derrick may playing e2e4 by manuel gottsching and another was stacey pullen droping get the balance right by depeche mode, this now wouldn't be a such a big deal but in 1996 it sure was, you just didn't hear records like that in clubs.

sweet memories.

Likewise, had some good times in The End and like you Auton twas @ various Burundi nights. One that always sticks in my mind was when Jeff Mills and Kevin Saunderson were on the same bill with Kevin to play later than Jeff, anyhow Kevin doesn' t show so Jeff played 2 sets. His first set was the early Axis' releases interspersed with lots of heavier grooves, his 2nd set later in the night was more on the house tip playing lots of Strictly Rhythm & Emotional so very New York city in vibe, for me that set was one of the finest my ears have ever heard. Used to go down and listen Laurent Garnier a fair bit until one evening I fell asleep on one of the sofas they used to have dotted around the edge of the main room, the only time I' ve dozed off in a club, and it was to Laurent who must been playing some Prodigy or Nirvana hence the zzeds. Another memorable night was Boxing Day evening a long time ago with Derrick Carter, Mark Broom and Ralph Lawson with Derrick playing a fanatstic techno set with all the classics and the decent thing about the night was it wasn' t packed, just full of the heads who wanted to be there. Haven' t been to The End in years but still a shame to lose a venue that pushed 'underground' music even if I didn' t like a lot of that got pushed down there.