Re: Films that get critical acclaim but are rubbish!

heifetz wrote:

Full Metal Jacket

it isn't rubbish but over-hyped imo.

Not if you switch it off after the 1st half.

heifetz wrote:

Full Metal Jacket

it isn't rubbish but over-hyped imo. it's too theatrical and relies too much on shock-value. and i'm pretty certain soldiers irl actually aim while shooting.

sure. Stanley Kubrick is such a mediocre director, isn't he.

hysteric wrote:
heifetz wrote:

Full Metal Jacket

it isn't rubbish but over-hyped imo.

Not if you switch it off after the 1st half.

well even that part made me cringe. gomer pyle's under-achievement is underlined so much that it's embarrassing.

The Fall - biggest piece of shit I've seen since Caddyshack 2

ramos wrote:

Swallow My Squirt 3 - No where near as good as 2, not much character development and some obviously fake squirting scenes.

Its quite the same thing with Reverse Bukkake 9 too. No dramatic turns whatsoever and i hate when you can see the red thread just after 2 minutes.

Anyone taken a piece of Godfather yet?
I still love and praise that movie, would be interresting to hear someone sh*t all over it.

Dogville.
Its an easy target but nevertheless complete and utter rubbish. A crime and a shallow abomination to the entire universe. And that prick wannabe-uncomfortable- and 'they are not going to be able to dismiss it'-Trier.
Starship Troopers 3 has more integrity and truth in it.

Cray wrote:
ramos wrote:

Swallow My Squirt 3 - No where near as good as 2, not much character development and some obviously fake squirting scenes.

Anyone taken a piece of Godfather yet?
I still love and praise that movie, would be interresting to hear someone sh*t all over it.

As much as i love the Godfather trilogy I should have never re-watched it after 6 seasons of Sopranos. Made it look like a fucking joke full of cliches.

I'd disagree about Dogville. I liked it. Dancer In The Dark on the other hand drove me up the wall and I wanted to leave early...

automa> to me Godfather isnt a trilogy since a 3rd good movie was never made.

I cant possibly see how you find Dogville watchable but that is whats so funny with these threads, that people actually disagree on these simple things and just dont say they do just to make it funnier.

I've always found it pretty useless to try to convince people on the opposite of what they think so i'll give it a rest even before it starts to annoying me.

And here comes todays sacriliege i guess.
I have only watched 7-8 episodes of Sopranos before i found it pretty boring and decided not to give it a fair chance. But i started watching the first episodes when it had ran for several years so i guess i think my expectations killed it.

Cray wrote:

I bought the trilogy and have been told never to watch part 3. im never gonnae now.

Cray wrote:

I cant possibly see how you find Dogville watchable but that is whats so funny with these threads, that people actually disagree on these simple things and just dont say they do just to make it funnier.

I've always found it pretty useless to try to convince people on the opposite of what they think so i'll give it a rest even before it starts to annoying me.

And here comes todays sacriliege i guess.
I have only watched 7-8 episodes of Sopranos before i found it pretty boring and decided not to give it a fair chance. But i started watching the first episodes when it had ran for several years so i guess i think my expectations killed it.

I would never try to convince anybody on here otherwise regarding their taste in movies.

But I find it quite interesting how differently movies can affect somebody on an emotional and intellectual level. The topic of the thread is movies that found critical acclaim but are considered rubbish by individual posters on here. I am wondering what critical acclaim actually is. Is there a secret circle of film experts that give it a quality stamp? Is it awards?

Said that I'd like to add my own personal heresy of the day: Eraserhead is a crapper of a film. That I found unwatchable. I might give it another try someday but my first attempt failed miserably.

People's likes and dislike are obviously subjective and world where everyone agrees is a boring one.

There are peopl on this forum who like all sorts of things; films, typography, graphics, hardware etc etc

What critical acclaim suggests is also subjective! It could be awards, it could be overwhelming support from the mainstream cultural media; film reviewers, mgazines, critics etc

The origins of this thread came from the fact that I saw the Joy Divison film 'Control' and was utterly appalled by how bad it was. I could not believe the reviews i subsequently read pre and post watching the film. Had they seen the same film? I had not read, of have since come across, a mainstream negative critique of the film! and what I mean by mainstream is published magazines and newspapers with a wide circulation.

All debate is good!

rimini wrote:

All debate is good!

I disagree

http://web1.switch-media-group.com/thumbs/1853.jpg

187 (edited by rimini 2008-09-10 18:29:55)

Hahahahaha!

--/~~~~ wrote:

Big lebowski must have been one of the most lame movie i ever saw, really dont get the cult following and admiration it gets. Jay Leno must have loved it. At least roseanne was shameless humor that had some bite to it.

echt waar? ik rol nog steeds van de bank af van het lachen, after seing that shit 20 times

Vlam Aan

189 (edited by kuczera 2008-09-14 12:24:45)

http://www.amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

this one, maybe lots of arti/farti people on this board disagree
didn't get that film at all

but i must be wrong i guess, gets a 8.5 rate on the imdb

Vlam Aan

190 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-14 09:55:52)

Cray wrote:

Dogville.
Its an easy target but nevertheless complete and utter rubbish. A crime and a shallow abomination to the entire universe. And that prick wannabe-uncomfortable- and 'they are not going to be able to dismiss it'-Trier.

i thought i would hate it as it looked like a complete bullshit project on paper, but i didn't. it's easy to crap over trier, i do it all the time. that said he has a certain way with actors that no one else has. i want to hate the bastard but i can't. however i'm also a little biased as i loved the kingdom i guess...
well i love anything with Ernst Hugo J

http://www.amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0068468/

it's too Clich

Vlam Aan

the departed, crap to the max

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

i agree about pan's labyrinth kuczera.. rubbish

jayoverdose wrote:

mega crap

marky mark was cool in the departed.. big_smile

Vlam Aan

197 (edited by MMG 2008-09-15 13:16:53)

Poodle wrote:
jayoverdose wrote:

mega crap

wunder crapschen

new batman was also way too long. would have been crap without the joker dude.

i hear you

198 (edited by San 2008-09-15 13:30:39)

Poodle wrote:
Cray wrote:

Dogville.

i thought i would hate it as it looked like a complete bullshit project on paper, but i didn't. it's easy to crap over trier, i do it all the time. that said he has a certain way with actors that no one else has. i want to hate the bastard but i can't. however i'm also a little biased as i loved the kingdom i guess...

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

San wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Cray wrote:

Dogville.

200 (edited by IvyHeights 2008-09-19 17:41:03)

that assassination of jesse james film is really dull .....also if anyone can explain revolver to me..then well, yeah
kill bill is clearly brilliant

Deathcrush '99

Pages Previous 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → The Daily UFO → Films that get critical acclaim but are rubbish!

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB