Re: hobbybots (non musical hobbies)

Bas roR wrote:

motorcycles are dope too but i don't trust myself to not kill me...

Motorcycles and grass don't go together to well... wink

But it can be dangerous indeed, my girlfriend doesn't trus me to not kill myself eather....

enough other hobbies.. i tend to do things in projects, then leave them alone for a while again. last one was learn how to use the airbrush to restore our bus (and lots of other technical shit for the same reason)
also did rc stuff for a while (cars, last one i made was the a-team van) also slotcar tracks, building  machines, etc etc..

the plane looks super, bas! theres a place close to where i ride my bike that has those things flying around all the time..

Bas Ror have you tried microsoft flight sim x? or IL-2 Sturmikov hha

5, 3, 6 or 100 platenspelers, fuck it!

flew last saturday with winds up to 5 bft. continuous correcting needed plus a lot more concentrating. but still fun big_smile

@ jay: 17th is off since too many ppl are on holiday...

@chairman chen: 0 minutes flying sims; 99% of them won't run on a mac.

☂ bezoek okiland !

off for another afternoon of flying!
need to learn these asap for my lisence:
http://www.hoppenbrouwer-home.nl/ikarus/images/A-brevet-figuren.jpg

☂ bezoek okiland !

I hate those manuvers that you have to complete before you can become a full member of rc clubs...

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@Bas roR: Nice plane, the Landtong is my backyard wink

I do some stuff with radio's, am licensed radioamateur and also like to do some CB "vossenjachten" (foxhunting) every now and then. In my spare time I love to clean my car.

same as it never was

thx Krimson; the purple isn't going down too well with the veteran rc flyers at the club.. haha.
i keep forgetting to by some de-greaser so i can put on some CBS stickers.. then with those rainbow colors they'll probably think i'm gay.

as long as you don't do your radio stuff on 35Mhz then.. (especially channel 64) wink

☂ bezoek okiland !

as i am not making a living from it, i guess my printmaking is a hobby :s sad :?

i dont have studio access though, so i am left to attempt doing screen printing, relief, and alternative media printmaking by non-orthodox mehtods. currently i am working with acetone and xylene to do laser ink transfers with the purpose of making monoprints, but i miss the immediacy of working in a proper print studio. hmm

http://members.chello.nl/bbinder/RoR101-stickered.jpg
smile got some stickers on..
made my first complete solo flights this week!
i hope the weather stays fly-friendly; last few weeks sucked with wind and rain..

☂ bezoek okiland !

looks beautiful!!, Bas roR. an congrats to your 1st solo flights.

.."this world`s a bubble"..

37 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-31 07:58:59)

looking good Bas Ror!

i spent my childhood around RC planes (can't wait to get back in the game with one of those new electric jets), boats but mostly cars.

i used to race 2WD 1:10 Off Road which is really THE classic style. my weapon of choice was the Team Losi XX. that one and the Associated RC10 was the best ones at the time and still are. today Kyosho are also looking really good it seems.
if you're thinking why they aren't jumping that high on the jumps is because that's the way you drive. you have to plan how you take the jumps carefully and brake or throttle in the air to either dive or raise the front wheels in order to have the best angle when you hit the ground. also you gain nothing with high jumps unless the course demands it as you can only accelerate on the ground..

i remember those race days i was so damn focused on the race and the car that i didn't feel hunger and people had to remind me and even give me some bad noise for me to eat and stuff. smile

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXzCQ7Qpjk[/youtube]

i also raced some 1:8 Track @ this very track here in gothenburg seen in this 2nd video. these nitrometan fueled monsters are SOOO CRACY FUCKING FAST. don't miss those super fast pit stops with those special refueling guns that have no back pressure. these are insane lightning fast machines. warp drive fuckin active! smile

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5i_JtoBjk[/youtube]

i just love the sound when they switch gears and the sweet smell from burned oil and fuel. lol

a closer look on the geeks and gear behind the sport and some nice racing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp4gUKX_CQ0[/youtube]

thx zora & poodle.

i got my lisence yestoRday!! big_smile big_smile
no more need for instructoRs to stand next to me..

☂ bezoek okiland !

39 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-03 22:08:17)

gratz! smile

If i ever get back in the game i'm gonna get an ElectricDuctedFan jet. which are cheap and really really fast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsvt2pM … re=related[/youtube]

Something to aim/dream about, turbine jet with thrust vectoring:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=766N1mAe … re=related[/youtube]

i've seen much faster jets of course but that thrust vectoring is sooo sweet. smile

Looks good Poodle..! With EDF it seems you dont need much metres of ground to get that plane in the air haha!
But howcome it that cheap? Or the engine lasts for only a few hours flying? I mean there must be a downside, otherwise it sound really tempting!

Strictly Rockaas

41 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-04 10:12:48)

I'm not sure how much wear and tear there's on the motor and fan mechanism. but from my experience from electric rc cars (which i raced in dirt) there's not much wear.

other than that question mark there's really not a downside i know of except you should really do some flying first with the kind of plane Bas Ror has (i'm not saying you need to buy one). 
it's not easy to start out on one of those jets. Infact i think i'd have to start more or less from scratch as i haven't done this in over 10 years. that is IF i'm getting back in the game. but those edf's sure look like good fun to me. smile

it's also good to try some flying in a sim. it's not the real deal but it helps to get your brain circuits prepared..

this one is a looker:

http://www.realflight.com/products/gpmz4420-index.html

you can play the demo with your computer keyboard. smile

btw: bas ror i love your avatar!!! smile

oops:
http://www.basror.com/CalmatoDood1.jpg

i was flying low, then a bit of wind rolled the plane a bit. i reacted the wrong way with my right thumb and a second later it was down. sad

☂ bezoek okiland !

oh no!
this looks so tragic.
are in for a repair/rebuild session?

Tragic but it must also give an accelerating feeling to see it crash somewhere? (I can imagine I am obsessed with plane crashes)

@smackos
because the i.d. of sitting in a plane that will crash in 50 seconds   is so horror? or?

it broke in a 'good' place and i still have all the wood bits; i will attempt a heavy glueing session to repair it and put some extra strengthening on it. i think all my electronics and engine are still fine.

@squadra: as i was flying low it was over in a second. And in that second i already realized what was going to happen so immediate disappointment set in; no time to get excited.

on the other hand, yesterday someone had trouble in the air (with a bigger plane than mine) and i could watch the plane turn towards my parked car. the plane took 6 seconds to zero in on my car and then crashed on the white plastic reflector pole in front of my car! the plane broke it's wings and ended up between two cars, not hitting them. i was much more excited by that.

☂ bezoek okiland !

David Vunk wrote:

@smackos
because the i.d. of sitting in a plane that will crash in 50 seconds   is so horror? or?

I guess its just a hobby

@squadra: as i was flying low it was over in a second. And in that second i already realized what was going to happen so immediate disappointment set in; no time to get excited.

Ah well luckily you got a photograph...are you going to make some improvements on rebuilding it?

if all the wood is glued back it's probably stronger already hehe. but thinking of giving it a layer of epoxy for strength.

☂ bezoek okiland !

once it's fixed, you need to get some speakers on that thing Bas roR, crank some beats for the masses.

what type of paint are you using on your plane?

worship the potentiometer.

hehe would need some large speakers with all the engine noise.

the only paint is in the engine bay to protect the wood. all the rest is 'oracover' foil that you can iron on (glues on at 60

☂ bezoek okiland !