Topic: Roland RE20 Space Echo beep?

I have this really high pitched beep coming out of my RE20 sometimes...Its not loud at all but in silence parts you can hear it...is this normal or is it because I use the wrong adapter or some shit like that?

Re: Roland RE20 Space Echo beep?

How are these things compared to the originals?

I've kinda coveted an old one for quite awhile but you never know when they'll break down or tapes will snap.

Also somone on Kijiji is selling one here for $150 with a Roland expression pedal.

3 (edited by mr pauli 2008-09-12 18:18:54)

well i do have a buzzing sound coming from it, but definitely nothing worse than my other stompboxes.
Really have to listen close to hear it . And it's not high pitched.
You can maybe reduce it by setting the input volume to half open and make the input signal louder ?

I have a counter question:
Is there a limit to how many 9volt stompboxes you can have one adapter feed ?
And is it a problem to have the same adapter feed some stompboxes but also a midi-sync converter
and some other 9volt thingy ?

4 (edited by speculator 2008-09-12 19:07:44)

is it feedback from a noise in the line (ground hum or something)? or is the tape old?

those things are just generally noisy.. or did it just now start doing it (since you moved studios)?

edit: aren;t you supposed to demagnetize things with tape heads every so often with one of those wand things..?

Speculator, it's not the original tape echo unit but twin-pedal box, digital too.

oh duh.. those things always make noise. use the proper power supply..

plikestechno wrote:

How are these things compared to the originals?

I've kinda coveted an old one for quite awhile but you never know when they'll break down or tapes will snap.

The old one sounds better especially when it comes to overdriving the signal, the new one kinds of distorts in a bad way but if you keep an eye on that its a very nice thing and quite sounds like the space echo...fuzzy and warm.

I don't really get hisses or hums or strange noises to be honest. True that overdriving the signal gets it to a level of distortion which isn't quite charming, but for the rest the thingy is great.

I am using a non-boss multi plug power supply, very cheap and no noise! bought it at:
http://www.effectpowersupplies.com

@squadra Have you checked all three set-ups? like does it come on for just reverb, or just delay, or both? sometimes it could be from the intensity still feedingback so you have to drop it to 0 then bring it back up... What are you running into it though? Grounding issue maybe?

@pauli I think as long as all of your connections are for 9volt you should be fine running whatever in a chain. i don't think there is a set limit, but i've run into issues at clubs where the power is strained so pedals start acting up further down the chain if there is a surge.

worship the potentiometer.

I think it was some weird subgroup computer card feedback thing that created the beep

sounds like something worth sampling at least...

worship the potentiometer.

It is alright to run multiple pedals off of one adapter so long as you do not exceed the current draw rating of the adapter. If you run say 4 pedals that draw 300ma each on a 1amp rated adapter, you run the risk of either burning out the adapter or having some of the items in the chain not function properly. In analog circuits you will at the very least loose headroom. Some digital stuff might just not work if power starved.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

I think it was some weird subgroup computer card feedback thing that created the beep

You mean it's gone?

Ever tried listen the noisy ouput of your cheap built in pc audio card,boost the hell out of it and do some normal operation with the computer? like open pages,load files etc?
It talks....