1 (edited by alex_d_steak 2008-09-07 16:57:45)

Topic: Radio 1972 on Peercast, transmission test

All,

I finally managed to set up this Peercast system at home...
Right now I am doing some test transmission with EVERYTHING I have got on my HDs... so it is totally on autoplay with really randomized music going on.

To hear it, you have to download the Peercast client at www.peercast.org, set up a local relay and then connect your WinAmp/VLC/etc to the local relay.
To set up a local relay, you just need to go to http://yp.peercast.org and search for "Radio 1972".
A big "Play" button is on the left, click on it, let the Peercast application load, then head your browser to http://localhost:7144/ and check the 'relay' page.
There you will find another "Play" button which will be ok for your regular player (the first one is to connect the Peercast app to the network).

It sounds complicated but it is not smile

The stream is then transmitted through a P2P network, this is why you need the additional application... But this could be as well the way to save bandwidth but
play streams all around without particular problems...

If somebody wants to try it out, I would appreciate it a lot...
If help is needed, write down here smile

Thanks!
Alex

PS:
some installation instructions for the various platforms/ways to listen to a PC stream:

WinAmp plugin (Windows):
http://www.scvi.net/stream/peerplug.htm

more will follow...

==== Added regular Shoutcast streams! ====
http://radio1972.serverroom.us:7352/
128kbps, 25 seats

http://austria086.server4you.de:8000/
128kbps, 10 seats

==== Week schedule for Radio1972 ===
http://verkehrshaus.bahnale.net/weekly_program.htm

Programs description:
-Drones - extremely slow ambient music, space music and everything that is more or less beatless.
-Ambient startup - More moving ambient music, but still wandering through your mind before the awakening...
-Bacon and Eggs - A general morning container of pop/electropop/new wave etc etc etc everything mixed up
-Pioneers of the Electronic Groove - Early electronic music, from the 50s to the 70s
-Blue Monday - New wave selections
-Electro is my life - old and new school electro, electrofunk, sometimes light, sometimes strong.
-R1972 Mix Rotation - A selection of mixes from my hard disk (mostly downloaded from the CBS)
-In Definite Motion - IDM, new electronica, with and/or without beats
-Central Industrial - EBM, Industrial music from the 70s to today
-Soundtrax - Music from the movies!
-Lag Generator - Experimental electronic music - lots of noises and glitches... do not confuse it with skipping!
-It's the beats - Techno in all of its forms - minimal, glitchy, funky, noisy....
-Radio 1980 - Pop music from the 80s, with live commentary when available (I did this on FM radio years ago)
-Deeesco Mooosic - the saturday night of Radio 1972! Disco, disco, disco and more disco!
-DM Afterhours - After Deeesco Mooosic, some beats either relaxing or more agitated... who knows!
-Sunday Bloody Sunday - You know, sundays are always bloody and so space for bloody music... sometimes live!

2 (edited by LJK 2008-07-09 10:47:14)

Re: Radio 1972 on Peercast, transmission test

Ah, cool! It works perfectly.

Seems like you got some really tasty shit on your playlist! Might keep this on for the next hour.
How much of a pain was it setting up this stuff anyway?

3 (edited by Robot Monster 2008-07-09 11:00:40)

My stream won't be up until the end of the week if I have to put up a shoutcast server, if peercast is easier, I might have it up by tonight smile

The p2p relay element of this software could be interesting if we were to attempt to merge all the smaller streams into one...

robots.for.robots

LJK: thanks for tuning smile
Well, I had to understand correctly the config file because there is not that much documentation written, usually the peercast forum is the only
place where to get info... But it still needs to be finetuned, so far it is just a test run...

For the program, it is just a WA playlist of all my mp3s randomized... before there was some Loud-E mix, then some italo, now I heard some
Michael Nyman and now Celia Green is playing...

If you like mixed up stuff then it is definitely good big_smile

I will get hold of some colleague at work as well to make proper distribution tests, then if everything is running correctly I will try to make some
hour-based genre-selected playlists, so that it may be more consistent.

The nice thing about this peercast stuff is that you can have somebody else connected to you and then help relay the stream to other people...

@RobotMonster:

you need a shoutcast server anyways. The Peercast app is just an additional layer to use the P2P network for data broadcasting.
So basically the structure is: ShoutCast/encoder app -> PeerCast app -> network <- PeerCast app <- client connected to PeerCast local relay.

And then: the idea of a "Master server" which fetches other radios every hour (according to a schedule) could really profit of this P2P technology..
No huge bandwidth needed, the people participating in the stream help redistribute it smile

7 (edited by Robot Monster 2008-07-09 11:05:12)

Oh well. I guess I have to learn how to set it up anyways then wink

EDIT: Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking about. My stream will be running from my home, and that limits the amount of (potential) listeners quite a lot.

robots.for.robots

Indeed big_smile

wow, yp.peercast.org gives you even automatic tracklisting!

http://yp.peercast.org/stats.php?id=32E … &gmt=2

Damn, it shows only the last 4 hours of tracks... well, better than anything big_smile

12:00^     - Blotnik Brothers - Mon Mamelon       

- 02 - celia green - in the extreme       

- Michael Nyman - From our end, high up here       

- T. Ark - Undercover lover       

- Klein & MBO - I love you       

11:00^    - Kraftwerk - Expo2000 - KK Mix 2002 Radio       

- LOUD-E - Are you ready to move?       

- Stereolab - Revox       

- Hakan Lidbo - 07 - B, F, I, A Or E       

- a3. monoploly 53 039230       

- Unit Moebius - Dolfinarium       

10:00^    - Natural Language - We Are Learning About Blue       

- Legowelt - (B2) Don't Cry for what i am       

- ULTRAYDYNE - Six       

- telex - moscow disco (carl craig remix) (1)       

- Kirlian Camera - Blue room (extended version)       

- b3 ims - 405 north       

- Se

mmm have t

yoU...............................................................................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

alex_d_steak wrote:

wow, yp.peercast.org gives you even automatic tracklisting!

http://yp.peercast.org/stats.php?id=32E … &gmt=2

sweet!

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

.. I am discovering music that I thought I did not ever have just by listening randomly at my collection of music tongue

ok, since I have dynamic IP address at home the ISP switched it (happens more or less every 12 hours)... But the stream did not fail, even if my
local client disconnected...
Thanks to the PeerCast overlay, the two PC apps did manage to update to the new address and as soon as my home peer reconnected to the YP,
the client PC app got it again and xmms restarted immediately big_smile

Installed the Peercast client (on OS X it requires restart, beware), copied the link to VLC and listening in now: hearing Radio 1972 loud and clear! smile

I will look into setting up and relaying streams this way as soon as I have time.

Tradition is kindling of the fire, not worship of the ashes.

16 (edited by alex_d_steak 2008-07-09 12:53:44)

thanks Kvantti! Let's see how does it work...

Actually I am beginning to like this kind of streaming... Except for the IP change at my home (which obviously resulted in a XMMS disconnection),
no buffering at all at 96KHz... and I even have a BT client downloading something at home, albeit at controlled speed.... big_smile

Maybe tonight I will try to increase it to 128Kbit...

haha the Electronome remix of SIASG big_smile I mostly forgot about that!

It is exactly 24 hours now that the transmission is going on without problems - except the IP address change because I have a dynamic one
so far...

Maximum listener was 3, nobody AFAIK complained of stuttering/bad quality (at 96kbit)...
Now I will try broadcasting at 128, let's see...

If some of you tune in, it would be nice of you to report connection and audio quality.... thanks big_smile

Alex

I experienced some small buffering kind of glitches, and a slight wait at one point when connecting to stream but no major malfunctions. Maybe the glitches were part of the track, as the selection is very eclectic big_smile

Tradition is kindling of the fire, not worship of the ashes.

well there was a moment that I skipped some tracks, then I changed from 96Kbit to 128, then of course some really experimental tracks big_smile

alex_d_steak wrote:

haha the Electronome remix of SIASG big_smile I mostly forgot about that!

If some music is underrataed its just that...soooo niiice

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

some listener from Italy now smile

turned to SAM Broadcaster for the playing/encoding... lots of options, looks nice...
For the moment still in autoplay/eclectic mode, as soon as I figure out all the options I will try to make some
"programs" big_smile

Alex

DSL was down since 16:45... now it is back (both the DSL & the stream)

i go to peercast and read 'no installation needed'.
i download and get an installer (!) and after install i even need to restart (!!).
(really makes you wonder about the added 'no spyware' text too)
and now, when clicking the first playbutton, the peercast app quits....

sad

☂ bezoek okiland !