Re: Obama vs. McCain

Stinki wrote:

@ Forax

Uhh...you aren't really questioning anything there. That's the way it is, so don't break the rules, eh?

the only thing i was questioning was what gives dirtieblonde the OK to commit election fraud.  i see the point she was making but when you start taking it into your own hands then it in turn steps on my right to vote (in a fair election)

Yes, that's the way it is, so don't break the rules.  i probably feel that way from growing up in texas.. we have tough laws here i.e. the death penalty with the highest number of death row inmates and executions.  if you fuck with the law it will fuck you 10x harder.

There are legal ways to challenge laws and "the system". Speak up. Join an activist group. There is safety in numbers. Don't cop out on some "don't break the rules" BS. Perhaps you haven't been given a personal enough reason to get involved yet, and I respect that.

I don't think Dirtieblonde is seriously proposing election fraud. Besides which, I don't think it would be as easy as is being said here. I believe the last 2 elections contained massive voter fraud, but certainly not through not simple shit like people being able to vote twice. Any significant fraud has to be perpetrated by people with inside knowledge and power. It's a pretty silly argument to accuse someone of committing election fraud here.

well i doubt she would really do that either.. my original point is that no one's vote should count more than anyone else's.  there is no justification for you to cheat the voting system.

are the drug laws too harsh? i think so.. is there a bias that can disenfranchise segments of the population? yes.  i think its great that there are activist groups like norml working to change that but when you're out bombing someone elses property or carrying a big bag of weed in your pocket you are rolling the dice.

if DB can cheat in voting, voting must be a crock of shit, no?

Maybe she can -- but whether she would ties neatly back into Forax's point about rolling the dice.

"Intentionally voting more than once in a federal election is a third-degree felony in most states and also violates federal election-fraud laws. The punishment varies from state to state but is usually up to five or 10 years in jail and fine of up to $5,000 or $10,000."

This stuff is heavily investigated ever since 2000.

I also don't think it's that easy to pull off, especially since HAVA (Help America Vote Act) was enacted. This a huge voter registration database initiative. It's progressed significantly since the last presidential election.

And if you look at the big picture, it's really unreasonable to treat this as a serious issue when voter disenfranchisement occurs on an exponentially larger level

@ Forax I gotcha, we were being absolutist in opposite directions

56 (edited by cebteq 2008-09-24 18:39:38)

I've heard from people who have voted more than once more than once.  and still they think their vote(s) matter(s)

Once you see beyond yourself you will realize that nothing matters at all, freeing you to live as if everything matters greatly.

thats pretty deep.. let me play devils advocate, wouldn't a literacy test have the same sort of bias and discriminatory effect you're speaking out on? (not sure if you were being tongue in cheek or not)

CNN wrote:

John McCain suspends campaigning to work on economy, requests postponing Friday debate; asks Obama do the same.

hmm

60 (edited by cebteq 2008-09-24 21:02:42)

61 (edited by Stinki 2008-09-24 21:21:35)

McCain is a hotheaded over-dramatic douchebag. Modest...yeah right! Actions...you mean crashing planes, flipping most of his fundamental positions for political gain within the past 8 years, singing "Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" (super modest), etc etc...yeah, suuuuuuure.

@ Forax -- nope; it's actually people aged 65+ who are the majority demographic who can't read. Of course the test would just be twisted to disenfranchise people...I'm just frustrated that so many people who really don't know shit vote.

i watch comedy central too  im starting to think its just as bad as watching fox news

i watch them all. fox news has been pretty critical of mccain/palin too. how could you not be?

stop plagiarizing wink

Either way we are all fucked. Whoever wins will have such a mess to clean up from the current administration that there won't be any time or money left for "Change".

so, let`s forget about this thread.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

If McCain wins, I'm bouncing...If Obama wins, I'll give him a year or two.

Times like this make me glad I have a European girlfriend.

MacCain is an old man. If he is the president, he can die, and then Sarah Palin will be president.

jeez now mccain is backing out of the debate.

for a war hero, this guy sure is a pussy.

70 (edited by lucio robo 2008-09-26 09:23:01)

Madonna for president !!!
Mac Cain and Obama won t give you some Mac Donald's free tickets.
The 1 or the 2, You vote for the same Peoples, the Peoples who want the Power.

No somo Roberto Succo

actually it looks like mccain has changed his mind
bail out lol

http://www.electoral-vote.com

the straight dope

http://images.ciao.com/ifr/images/products/normal/086/product-605086.jpg

Rofl

No somo Roberto Succo

74 (edited by Dez 2008-09-27 04:23:40)