Re: Should I buy...

I have a PTX-8 which is the rack version with trigger inputs, no hihats though...mmm...I should hook the 707 separate outs to the trigger ins.
You can really modify the sounds much more than something like a TR-626. The pitch bend envelope was fun, and you can get some deep bass. I have the cart with the dodgy vocal samples (WRC-02??). The carts are way overpriced.
I'd say get an RX-5/7 or PTX-8 if you can get it cheap, but it's no 707, DX/DMX etc.

77 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-12 08:06:08)

a juno 60?

what are the common things that break on it and other things one should watch out for?

Buy it! its really nice. When i bought it the patch buttons were not working properly but i dont know if this is a common issue.

fingers crossed i might have one in a few days

There's an Elka EK22 going in the lab, the guy is selling for e250. Firstly, anybody know
how this sounds? Secondly, is that a good price for it?

Thanks!

It's not a bad synth, it's very warm and broad sounding. Biggest downside is that it's a bit hard to program, but you can get a software editor if you really can't figure it out. It sounds rather good, woolly, deep and broad, and you can layer sounds which is cool. It's a typical Italian entrance level synth, it comes quite close to other Italian budget synths like the Crumar Bit99 and Siel DK80. But it does compare favorably to these 2, it has portamento (one of the best portamento's ever imo) and a nice chorus. I think 250 is a bit steep, but they are quite hard to find and well... since it's a rather good sounding budget analog it is hard to say what would be a really decent price. Perhaps 250 is the max tho.

Cool, thanks for the advice! if i can get him to knock down the price, i'l be saying hello to my first synth!

i'm thinking about the boss 303 or the sp-404 anyone got any advice about these? should i do it.......

Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24/8

I dont find anyspecification on that mixer.
There is a guy that wants to give it for a "butterbrot" because there is a failure in the powersuply that needs to be fixed.
is this a good Mixer? is it difficult to fix a powersuply?

Should I buy a Crumar Multiman for 290 euros? The strings aren't as good as on the Performer, right? Do the other sounds make up for it?

86 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-08 17:20:25)

No way. Don't pay that much for a multiman. 100-150 euros maybe.

It's mostly string and brass. If you're looking for a "synth" look elsewhere.

Yeah, thanks. I've been checking the multiman out a bit better now and it doesn't seem too impressive at all. I guess I was thinking of the Trilogy or something. That's the one worth looking for? I had a Korg Delta that I really liked, and they're sort of similar I guess.

I love the filter on the Delta!
The stringfs are a bit too grungy for my taste

Anyone ever use a Boss BE-5? 

http://digilander.libero.it/zagor740/images/gear/boss_be_5/be5.jpg

With knobs for all of the parameters it looks like more fun than the usual guitar multi-effect box.

Worth $50?

seems more then reasonable 50 bucks

Yeah further investigation suggests that the delay in this thing is the same as the Boss DD-2, which is supposed to sound quite nice.  For 50 bucks why not.

I used the bass guitar version of that some 10 years ago - not bad if you're looking for that Simon Raymonde-style, heavily chorused bass guitar sound.

I'm looking into an MPC 60 with a broken disk drive. Anyone here know how easy it is to fix em? Are the drives special? Could I even install a Compact flash slot instead?

94 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-10-13 19:56:26)

Yeah you can look it up on the internet which models work...mostly old PC ones from back in the days.

I am pretty sure you can't replace the floppy with a cardreader
Does it have SCSI, then you can connect any ZIP/Jazz/HD whatever thing to it....

Its a very cool machine, still lightyears more luxurious then any newer MPC (except the 3000 then) and also the best sounding MPC...imo...but its also kind off the general concensus

How much is it if I may ask?

edit: second post here has more info about the floppy drives http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php … 22113cd72e

what about a JD800 for around 600 USD?

sounds a good deal..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

the mcp is going for 450... tempting. but just spent almost the last of my money on a juno 60 for $250 us. I kinda like this economic crisis.

damn what a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

alex_d_steak wrote:

what about a JD800 for around 600 USD?

thats about the going rate.. if its local make sure the metal plates aren't falling off under the keys and also enter test mode: http://www.geocities.com/jd800center/entertestmode.html

there you check all the buttons, lights, etc.. be sure to check the aftertouch.  if its really stiff or doesn't register you could haggle down the price some but you can fix it by soldering in one resistor.

@forax

thanks for the tips! and for the interesting website as well...