Topic: Synhouse midi mods... any good?

I am thinking of buying one for my Moog Prodigy which is pre-CV/Gate unfortunately... They seem to have tested their mod on the Prodigy and they also publish some drawings of the connections...
I remember mono/poly saying something about Synhouse mods being crap... any suggestions? Good or bad experiences?
Most grateful for the input smile

Re: Synhouse midi mods... any good?

only synhouse midi jack I have ever seen came in a synth I bought as dead - and it was the reason the synth was dead - pulling it out brought the synth back to life...
:-)

so yeah.. I've had no experience with a live midi-jack, but I tend to think you'd be better off with an external midi-CV converter in most cases. midi jack has a very minimal user interface. (one button and a led??)

you can probably get your prodigy modded to take CV and gate.

My biggest problem is that u have to drill an extra hole into your synth and loose your cv/gate.
Just get an external midi to cv.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

no-fi wrote:

only synhouse midi jack I have ever seen came in a synth I bought as dead - and it was the reason the synth was dead - pulling it out brought the synth back to life...
:-)

so yeah.. I've had no experience with a live midi-jack, but I tend to think you'd be better off with an external midi-CV converter in most cases. midi jack has a very minimal user interface. (one button and a led??)

you can probably get your prodigy modded to take CV and gate.

Is a CV/gate mod really an option? Anybody knows who I could probe to get one installed in the UK?

mono-poly wrote:

My biggest problem is that u have to drill an extra hole into your synth and loose your cv/gate.
Just get an external midi to cv.

uhmmm, yes, I wouldn't want to miss the factory CV/Gate input but my Prodigy doesn't have one. I have midi to CV for other synths and it's great, but this one needs a brand new "way in" smile

I think you should get an external one as well, It keeps the synth in its original state and most external cv/gate unit have more options and cost around the same.  Some options like portamento and cv scaling are quite useful.  Plus if you sell the synth and get another cv synth you won't have to do the mod again or if you get a second synth you'd be able to use the external midi cv with it too.

cimabot wrote:

Is a CV/gate mod really an option? Anybody knows who I could probe to get one installed in the UK?

well, apparently it is if you have an early model prodigy.
http://www.kentonuk.com/kenton/socket_inh.shtml

It seems really weird that a later model wouldn't be do-able too.... (unless the later model already has CV & gate in?) I'm not familiar with the moog prodigy. You should probably go research that before doing anything else.

And of course, seeing as the midi-jack is just an internal midi-cv converter.. if you can't add CV to a prodigy for any reason, you couldn't add a midijack either.....

no-fi wrote:
cimabot wrote:

well, apparently it is if you have an early model prodigy.
http://www.kentonuk.com/kenton/socket_inh.shtml

It seems really weird that a later model wouldn't be do-able too.... (unless the later model already has CV & gate in?) I'm not familiar with the moog prodigy. You should probably go research that before doing anything else.

And of course, seeing as the midi-jack is just an internal midi-cv converter.. if you can't add CV to a prodigy for any reason, you couldn't add a midijack either.....

Later models have CV/Gate input. Pre 1981 haven't and unfortunately mine is one of those. The socket upg kit from Kenton looks cool! For some reason I didn't come across it before! I already have cv to midi converters so their mod seems great, also adds filter input smile Thanks no-fi!