Re: Obama vs. McCain

not trying to stir argument just conversation but what do you think about 95% of black americans  voting for obama? i didn't vote for obama or mccain (nader if you really want to know) but just from various media sources (internet, radio, internet pages, etc) it seemed that the overwhelming amount of blacks wanted obama and in such a situation in our society today i would find that it would almost pressure other blacks to vote obama as well. now i'm obviously not certain but i know that SOME will have voted for obama based on "issues" and credentials, and leading capabilities, etc. but the few or maybe more that didn't? now this is definitely not a statistic that is prevalent with blacks and obama i'm sure other statistics show other interesting facts but the 95% number definitely got me aroused after seeing it. what do you guys think if anything on this?

america voted for Bush and now they question Obama's leading skills?

"...or something." - Legowelt

they voted bush in twice..wat does that tell you..

cloud9 wrote:

not trying to stir argument just conversation but what do you think about 95% of black americans  voting for obama?

i think it canceled out 30% of the votes for mccain cause he's white

do you think those 30% actually wanted mccain or didn't know anything much about obama and succumbed to pressure?

281 (edited by cebteq 2008-11-08 22:33:08)

it's simple, you just gotta be a retard to have voted for mccain

please no american bashing.

GREETZ!

283 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2008-11-09 14:02:18)

you know, sleek, what really hit me the other day? all of a sudden, ever since obama's presidency is official i don't hear anybody trash talking the states anymore. people are really relieved to a point where i fear they will be too easily disappointed if obama doesn't live up to their expectation. BUT recent history has taught us that the rest of the world will put up with more shit from a democrat in the white house (see clinton) just because he doesn't come across like bush (junior and senior) or reagan. the main problem these republicans have is very much connected to who they have standing behind them. bush jr. pushed the limit as to who's advising him etc. the hardest so far IMHO.

to boil it down for you: your government is your signboard. no wonder everybody was trash talking the states during the last >6 years. people often don't realize that the government of a country does not reflect the entirety of its population.

mind you, i've been bashing america too some time ago but only to realize that what i'm actually bashing is some extreme (stereo)types which are, of course, picked out and conveyed by the media. it's easy to fall in that trap and the bush administration didn't exactly help either.

cloud9 wrote:

they voted bush in twice..wat does that tell you..

'they' usually equates to 50.1% of the people.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

you know, sleek, what really hit me the other day? all of a sudden, ever since obama's presidency is official i don't hear anybody trash talking the states anymore. people are really relieved to a point where i fear they will be too easily disappointed if obama doesn't live up to their expectation. BUT recent history has taught us that the rest of the world will put up with more shit from a democrat in the white house (see clinton) just because he doesn't come across like bush (junior and senior) or reagan. the main problem these republicans have is very much connected to who they have standing behind them. bush jr. pushed the limit as to who's advising him etc. the hardest so far IMHO.

to boil it down for you: your government is your signboard. no wonder everybody was trash talking the states during the last >6 years. people often don't realize that the government of a country does not reflect the entirety of its population.

mind you, i've been bashing america too some time ago but only to realize that what i'm actually bashing is some extreme (stereo)types which are, of course, picked out and conveyed by the media. it's easy to fall in that trap and the bush administration didn't exactly help either.

maybe not questioning or bashing is the most scary part, the world almost sees him as the new savior.. but just look at his 'team' behind him; no 'change' at all, maybe even worse... Now they can do whatever they like because everyone is backing him, even the Islamic world.

TB or not TB

well, you can also see this as an opportunity. a guy like obama has a lot of goodwill especially in these first few months, he can get parties together or to do things they would never have accepted from the last government. like sitting around and coming to an agreement..:D

what i noticed the last few years like never before in the US, is how deeply divided the country was. there seemed to be a real bitterness between pro-bush and anti-bush.. maybe that will go away now. but yeah, the expectationsa are so high, it can almost be nothing else than a disappointment.. but at least there's hope this time, unlike the last few years.. big_smile

mina v. wrote:

Yes. It usually does haha.

And it seems to have happened that way here in California or close to that for our proposition 8 on gay marriage and has sparked up

some big protest rallies in LA or at least the media makes it out to be big having their first 15 minutes of their hour long

programming about the protests.

lovely country if you ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbh2MlNHug (1st part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE  (2nd part)

289 (edited by cloud9 2008-11-10 06:25:49)

you guys don't get tasered in paris for asking questions to president candidates?

not yet.

(doesn't prevent me to hate our actual president)

291 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2008-11-10 13:30:19)

cloud9 wrote:

And it seems to have happened that way here in California or close to that for our proposition 8 on gay marriage and has sparked up

some big protest rallies in LA or at least the media makes it out to be big having their first 15 minutes of their hour long

i have to admit that the yes on prop 8 really surprised me (negatively). i thought if anywhere it would get turned down in california.

guess i'll blame it on the large hispanic population whose religious macho world doesn't allow for same sex marriage. and the rest of the religious pack. this has got to be one of the issues where radical islamists and christian fundamentalists agree 100%. incidentally they have more in common than they'd ever admit.

cloud9 wrote:
mina v. wrote:

Yes. It usually does haha.

yeah the 'yes on 8' vote pretty much killed the whole rad obama day vibe for me (i voted in the CA elections from abroad).
hopefully it will get on the ballot just once more, so it can (hopefully) be overturned, and then never get brought up again. it's embarrassing that in 2008 we are still voting on which citizens deserve basic human rights.

mina v. wrote:

it's embarrassing that in 2008 we are still voting on which citizens deserve basic human rights.

Well put!

its a basic human right to get married under the church? wink

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

Oh there's plenty of trash talking...it's just coming from within.

David Vunk wrote:

obama is nephew of Dick Cheney!

I've heard that too, but I think it is a really, really distant connection. I mean, I have distant relatives (who are even closer in my blood line than Cheney is to Obama) in the Vegas mafia, but I'm not in the mafia.

mina v. wrote:

hopefully it will get on the ballot just once more, so it can (hopefully) be overturned, and then never get brought up again. it's embarrassing that in 2008 we are still voting on which citizens deserve basic human rights.

Yeah, I was bummed about that too. It's should have never even been on the ballot, they've been able to marry for 2 years in Cali, and the state didn't fall into damnation. It's already at the state supreme court, but what a waste of resources in a time of dire economic need. The religious folk need to spend more time and money worrying about the poor, and less time worrying about the gays.

298 (edited by cloud9 2008-11-11 07:50:07)

yeah i'm a believer of Jesus and i voted no on prop 8. :\

nice that you voted mina while away from the country . you had to get provisional ballot? was that an issue at all? i know a

few people who didn't end up voting because they weren't registered in this state and said it was a hassle to vote but i didn't

see how it could be?

cloud9 wrote:

yeah i'm a believer of Jesus and i voted no on prop 8. :\

that's because you take his teachings to your heart. see, i was raised catholic but alienated by the church somewhere along the way. deep inside i still try to live up to the moral standards that i was taught. which is first and foremost a very strong altruism. even if thy neighbour is gay. live and let live. a lot of so called christians seem to have forgotten about this very essential dictum of their faith.

i'm not a believer anymore but i think there's moral standards in the words of jesus (if he ever lived, whatever is left of his teaching after centuries of copying, interpretation and censorship) which are essential to how we interact with each other every day.

but i'm going waaaay off topic

300 (edited by cebteq 2008-11-11 10:06:14)

its called having a conscience.  whats wrong with humanity when you have to be 'taught' to play nice with each other.  you learn this in preschool.  people are born possessed by the devil?

whats worse is religious people are the most hateful of them all