Topic: Music Collection Insurance?

I was wondering if you robots have an insurance for your record/cd collection in case something happens to it? If so (esp. the dutch bots), what kind of insurance?

Heil CBS

Re: Music Collection Insurance?

Got a householder's comprehensive insurance.

gewoon inboedel verzekering + brand
elk jaar weer opwaarderen, naarmate de collectie groeit.

Vlam Aan

Finally got (the majority of) my collection insured this year after many (many!) sleepless nights.
Be sure to read the fine print and ask specifically about collections and 2nd hand goods as most insurance companies have exclusions for these and will only cover them to a tiny amount.

No dutch help from me, sorry wink

An "Inboedelverzekering" with high value. Best is to have an insurance agent at your place to write down the estimated value. I never did that but I make sure to have my collection registered somewhere (on discogs, but quite lazy at it) so at leas you know what you had when something happens.

All info is appreciated! Thx guys.

I was idd wondering about the way the insurance company would value old vinyl.. because if they use a yearly depreciation (is this the correct word?) like with cars.. old vinyl would be worth close to nothing according to this.. How's this with your inboedel verzekering kuczera?

I saw a (dutch) insurance specificely for music collections and they send a "knowledgable" music dude to value your collection, taking into account current market prices (incl. internet auctions), etc.. But if a normal inboedel (fire and theft) insurance covers it as well, i'd rather do that (cheaper). I'd prob. best call the company and ask what they have to offer for collections. It's not that i have all super valuable vinyl, but still.. Imagine the horror of losing it all.. brrrrrrrrrr...

Music Collection Insurance (Dutch only): http://www.elpeepluspolis.nl/

Heil CBS

thanks for this Herr Flick

I'm trying to sort this out Myself
The normal insurance companies dont really know what to do with it and they all ask a specified list of every record
But it would take Me 2 years if I have to write down every titel/label/ release year and all

even more difficult since My records tend to move around My cases and trough the room

discogs is your friend

9 (edited by Scarface 2008-11-03 18:56:21)

Have no seperate insurance of my collection though I have an inboedel/fire-insurance. I have almost my whole collection in discogs. Anyone can estimate what I would pay per year to insure this?

Kuczera en hysteric, how much do you pay? I think my collection is much alike yours.

Alway have second thoughts about insurance. It's trading in fear (handel in angst) my dad always says. smile You can also think: "If my place with all my records in it, is on fire. Bad luck. Time to move on to another chapter in my life."
....Don't know if I would be up for this way of thinking, though...

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

Have no seperate insurance of my collection though I have an inboedel/fire-insurance. I have almost my whole collection in discogs. Anyone can estimate what I would pay per year to insure this?

Kuczera en hysteric, how much do you pay? I think my collection is much alike yours.

About $700AU (350E) for a year after some shopping around... was quoted $1500+ by most other companies hmm
However this isn't for my whole collection.
My home contents was already insured, but I checked the fine-print and collections are only insured up to $1000 in value!!

Scarface wrote:

Alway have second thoughts about insurance. It's trading in fear (handel in angst) my dad always says. smile You can also think: "If my place with all my records in it, is on fire. Bad luck. Time to move on to another chapter in my life."
....Don't know if I would be up for this way of thinking, though...

Me neither, better safe than sorry I think.
Don't care if my TV, computer, decks, sound system etc get stolen/blown up/etc, but records are a bit different wink

Thanks, hysteric. I'm sometimes thinking of making a digital backup of my records. But that would be a hell lot of work and how would it do that (?). Some losless format on DVD's or something. Would be a better investment than insurance maybe but costs a lot of time to do. hmm

"Are you loving?"

hysteric wrote:

About $700AU (350E) for a year after some shopping around... was quoted $1500+ by most other companies hmm
wink

not sure what you get for that
last time i insured(over 10 years ago) , it was more then double that, for 8000 records at $18 each,
and for all i know, rates just about doubled in the last few years

Oscar your dads not wrong, if it all goes, time to look for a new hoby(or become an mp3 dj)
even if you get enough money back, do you see yourself sitting there looking to buy all the stuff
you've already had, that is going to be very exciting rite?, and George you realy need a safer, bigger and bit more isolated/sound proof place i recken
anyhow if your records get stolen,,, it's probably someone you know, nobody steal records they are too heavy
and are easy to trace, with not too many outlets to dispose off

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

You guys are gonna make me start losing sleep again...

I already started recording stuff whenever it arrives from overseas, but then I end up just playing the file and the record sits on the shelf... good for nightclubs, but I might as well just have d/l'd it from somewhere and saved the money.

Yes I gotta move out soon, place is getting crazy. Not so worried about theft, but just the thought of a fire... yikes
Shit maybe i should sell em all and take up jet-skiing or some normal hobby.

paranoid record collectors lol

No insurance here, I figure if by some misfortune all my records are gone, no insurance will get them back for me. In the end it's still only money you get back. I suspect the cost of having insured my collection for the past 10 years probably would outweigh replacement costs of the ones I'd get back, assuming I'd start over again. Or maybe I would become an mp3 dj instead, who knows?