Topic: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

Is it digital or analog? What kind of gear does he use nowadays? Talking about his recent releases, to my ears they don't sound analog. It's not a bad thing cause this sound is recognizable and suits his style well. Question may be silly but everytime i listen to a good record i can't stop thinking about the machines that generate that sounds.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

An artist should choose his tools so that he can create the sounds that he wants. There is a lot of music genres that are defined by the sounds of the instruments and by the production methods used. So is some cases it's easier to use old analog way then trying to recreate it digitally. But then again there are many things you can't do outside a computer (analog bitcrushing now wouldn't that be something?). If it is digital or analog is not the question. The question is "Do you like the production, both sound and creativity wise" ?

Shit... Ending a sentence with a question like that. Am I the Carrie Bradshaw of audio forum chat?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

yes you are!

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

what's a "Carrie Bradshaw"?

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

ronin wrote:

what's a "Carrie Bradshaw"?

Am i wrong in asuming that you have not lived with a woman in a few years?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

hehe, Carrie Bradshaw is the main character in Sex in the city, she's a relationship/sex columnist for a newspaper.

I had a female roomate a couple years ago and I know a lot more about that than I should!

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

here's some analog bitcrushing for you bitches
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0UytwADgo

Monkey see, monkey do.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

Erroraudio wrote:

But then again there are many things you can't do outside a computer (analog bitcrushing now wouldn't that be something?).

you can do bitcrushing without a computer, with a hardware bitcrusher or a lo-fi sampler. not analog maybe, but far from all hardware is.

as for the question, why not send him an e-mail and ask?

Last edited by hans olof (2008-10-22 22:29:13)

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

As long as the music is good, even frying pans and carton boxes can be used big_smile
I personally use(d) analog and digital hardware, software and many times just a microphone and some FXes smile

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

Erroraudio wrote:
ronin wrote:

what's a "Carrie Bradshaw"?

Am i wrong in asuming that you have not lived with a woman in a few years?

yes. but the realm of celebs and gossip mags has always been the most mystifying attraction.
i'm aware of the the woman in question but was oblivious to any tag of recognition. i thought it might have been someone i needed to know about. but no.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

He wrote that he used in the past micro-moogs, SH-09, ARP Odyssey, but i don't hear them in the latest releases. For example 'Watchers From The Black Universe' sounds like it was made on one piece of gear - basslines and filtered pads have the same characteristic. It might be some software or one of these VA. I'm almost sure i could recreate lots of these patches on my virus.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

ronin wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:
ronin wrote:

what's a "Carrie Bradshaw"?

Am i wrong in asuming that you have not lived with a woman in a few years?

yes. but the realm of celebs and gossip mags has always been the most mystifying attraction.
i'm aware of the the woman in question but was oblivious to any tag of recognition. i thought it might have been someone i needed to know about. but no.

the joke was about Error concluding his passage with a question that could sum up the theme of his passage or be a title of it - just like Carrie Bradshaw (in a bad columnist cliche way), some of us are too familiar with thanks to our female companions.

crap, too long a sentence to be readable. who would that be influencing my style here?

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/ … roundtable

SHAD T. SCOTT AKA GOSUB - I use Reason in two ways. One, I use it as a stand-alone production center to create full on songs using nothing but Reason. I find that Reason makes me write different than using my traditional hardware I grew up on. The second way I use Reason is as a rack of synths locked up with my digital audio sequencer and my outboard gear. I use Reason mainly for two of my electro techno projects. As I said before it makes me write music in a different way so I use Reason for two projects exclusively and hardware for others. I use all of Reason from synths to mastering to complete a finished song.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

Alright I'm new to the list and just read this thread. Interesting & funny. I've known Shad since the early 90's and I can tell you his studio is a little strange. First I know he only uses Reason and other software on his laptop for shows and remixes since his studio is powered by an old beige Mac G3 racked & running a Protool 24mix+ system hardware and a DA7 mixer that was given to him by Digidesign back in the day. Synth wise he runs a Juno 106, O1W, MPC2000, 09, 101, S3000, Midiverb3 and some other old shit all running under DP3/OS9 and he monitors thur NS10's.  I make fun of his ass when ever I visit and tell him it looks like he robbed a pawn shop.  So on Watchers from the Black Universe he used his old equipment since I did some vox work on that shit.  On the Dcast stuff I don't know what he used.

John



biotek wrote:

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/ … roundtable

SHAD T. SCOTT AKA GOSUB - I use Reason in two ways. One, I use it as a stand-alone production center to create full on songs using nothing but Reason. I find that Reason makes me write different than using my traditional hardware I grew up on. The second way I use Reason is as a rack of synths locked up with my digital audio sequencer and my outboard gear. I use Reason mainly for two of my electro techno projects. As I said before it makes me write music in a different way so I use Reason for two projects exclusively and hardware for others. I use all of Reason from synths to mastering to complete a finished song.

Re: Gosub / Dcast Dynamics Sound

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/142500/142742JpRO_w.jpg